Friday, December 29, 2023

I Dug Out The Flannel Quilt That Needs Quilted

  I put this on my Facebook page, but decided to share here too.

A few years ago-years just go by don't they??- I sewed up a large flannel quilt for us and a smaller one for my author friend that lives near Yellowstone park as a Christmas gift a couple years ago now.

I had hunted for Yellowstone inspired animals etc in cotton flannels after my trip there in 2017. For mine, I also bought a one piece flannel backing fabric and I bought a wool batting. Wanted this to be warm and cozy.

 Last year I got frustrated with the hand quilting-the layers are just too thick for even stitches. So I put it away. I just dug it out this morning, and trying to figure out the best way to knot it with ties. At this point I think it's the best solution-and I want to use this quilt-would be nice for this winter.

My math is not the greatest, with this being a thick quilt the ties need to be every 3 inches across the quilt at the most-can be less inches apart. I was working per block as thought it would be easier to get it all straight-but the math is not working out for me as of yet, these are 12 inches blocks-alternating with a 4 patch design-also a 12 inch block. I need to step away from it for a bit. I don't want the ties to end up at the seams either.

I set up my fold away craft table that I use for all sorts of projects-and it's perfect to work on.

I took this photo sideways the other day Early this morning we had a little bit of snow-on the very old deck-that needs replacing soon.








I still have the bad monitor so hoping these photos look ok

  In my mind I still want this had quilted-before I was working with a hoop that just was not working. I may just try again with large stitches-and work on each block  instead of going across the whole length-still thinking about this. Any ideas quilting flannel??

  This is too large and bulky to go through a regular sewing machine.

Notre Dame college out of South Bend Indiana will be playing in a bowl game today around 1 pm my time I think it is. I grew up in Mishawaka Indiana which was next to South Bend

I also splurged and bought a new weaving book-designed for the very small vintage loom I have. The Structo loom.


I found this image online-just like mine-I found a Facebook group for these little vintage looms .Larry found this for me very inexpensively at a garage sale years ago. I have it all set up to weave on now. These can be very expensive now. The above book will be perfect for patterns. My little loom is a 4 harness like my larger loom This one below almost looks like a 2 harness



 Enjoy your day!

  

16 comments:

  1. I'm trying to picture what they ties will look like. Please post a photo when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabrics are lovely. I hope you can find a good way to finish it for I think it will be quite lovely. Did you ever know a Cynthia Hill who lived in Mishawaka? She had quite a large family of siblings, but I'm not sure where she fell on the age scale. She's probably about 60. We used to be colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow I have never known anyone that has ever heard of Mishawaka-I am 14 years older than her so I would not have been in school when she was.

      Delete
  3. I really like that sideways photograph :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when you talk about weaving. If I were younger I would buy a loom like this one and join you. I really don't think you can go very wrong with the quilt. Just plunge in and finish it so you can enjoy a nice long winter's nap while the snow is flying. I can imagine your Yellowstone friends are already hibernating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary I am thinking too much with this quilt-I will do that tomorrow morning Yellowstone area is warmer than it should be too this year-but soon. did you get any snow? the woods house got almost 2 inches we heard but we just got the little bit one deck

      Delete
  5. I know people who quilt and then send their quilts out to get them quilted. I have no idea where they send them or how much it costs. I know that quilts get thick, but you definitely would enjoy it this winter I'm thinking. I still like your crooked photo too. I hope you have a great last weekend of 2023. I'm with you, it's so hard to believe it's almost 2024. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, sadly it is expensive to send them out to someone that machine quilts on those long arms.at least for me it is too expensive.
      I had a neighbor back at the woods house and she paid up to $300.00 or more for her queen size quilts to be quilted. That's too expensive for me. when buying quality quilt fabrics one could spend around $200.00 just for the fabrics and batting, not counting your time
      . When my Mom was alive she lived in an Amish area out in the country where our family farm was-and she would pay the Amish to hand quilt her queen size quilts-they charged by the inch I never heard how much she paid out for one quilt. They were beautifully done though.
      I bought shrimp to boil for new years eve-which we will eat early afternoon-our main meal is around 2 pm Larry never stays up til midnight-I always do though. hugs

      Delete
  6. Yes, Kathy. Years speed by. Unfair. Also that quilts are not common/known here! We live behind a rock.
    And with the math-thing I am out ;-)
    Thank you for the lake-pics!
    Footy is on? Bet we don´t "get" it. But: Have fun watching!!!!
    Your weaving amazes me. I have no talent at all for any of this.
    To you all and the lake, hugs, enjoy your day, too. Maybe we even get to see the sun today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not good with math problems at all Ok with checkbook accounting etc but that's about it.
      My team won big-good finish for the year for them
      Weaving is a bit of math too, so I following a weaving draft (pattern)
      Wedo have sunshine today-and cold Happy weekend and new years eve

      Delete
  7. I love that you brought the quilt back out. That rocks.
    I have two blankets that I want to make soon.
    Hopefully one of them will get done this weekend.
    Have a wonderful rest of your day. Happy 2024 to you and Hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you will enjoy the quilt. So good that you brought it back out again. The fabric colors are lovely. Love the sideways photo of the outdoors! Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit