Monday, June 19, 2023

Spinning Fibers-updated

   Good morning, I thought I would drop in with a post.  I have been spinning most every day for the last 10 days or so.

  Over the weekend I grabbed the bag I had of odds in fibers and blended them together on my blending board. This is always a fun project, and I now have pretty much used up everything that was in the odd fibers bag. I had allot of yellows left with a few other colors-this yarn will go into my bag of Yellowstone colors for weaving.


This is a bulky yarn, which will go well with the other Yellowstone spun skeins I really love how this came out.


   After this one I have been spinning a UK Wensleydale fiber over the weekend-wow this is an amazing fiber. Very very soft and a very long staple length, and soooo easy to spin-wish I would have tried this before.  Here is a photo I found online   I am in love with this fiber. If I didn't have so many bags of fiber to spin already I would buy more.



Some of my readers may remember back around 2016 and later I went to Fiber U for classes on spinning and other fiber related classes. During that period I did go a bit overboard buying fibers to spin. smiles

  I went through my stash early this morning-which is a surprise now after all these years and the move from the woods home-and found another good spinning practice bag of roving. It was full with 2 pounds of USA blended long wools. I couldn't believe the price either-the 2 pounds of roving plus shipping was less than $24.00. Now that price will get you around less than half the amount of fiber plus shipping


  This will keep me busy and hopefully improve my wheel spinning.

    I did buy some new wool breeds to try though-which should arrive in the mail this week. I was intrigued about the sheep in Iceland that Erika posted about. I enjoy spinning the different rare breeds that are not as popular any more. I found an etsy seller that had icelandic white and greys. I bought two greys.

 Here is a photo of the darker grey and a link to the shop


  I found this photo online of an Icelandic sheep-grey




I also bought a rare Shetland roving from another Etsy shop which is a dark brown.






 Those of you that know me-I do not like white, so all the white yarns I am spinning will be going into the dye pot-I have allot of dyeing to do in the near future, more than I had realized.

Have an awesome new week

Oh and this is a view of Lake in the Ozarks-Father's Day weekend-found online




23 comments:

  1. I think we all seem to collect too many things. But I adxmire your spinning very much, it's a wonderful hobby. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, us artists and crafters tend to collect lots-at least I do for sure. and I bounce around allot too You have an awesome week too hugs

      Delete
  2. That yarn is amazing! The colors remind me of Superman ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be curious to see what you think of the Icelandic fibers. I bought some already to use yarn when I was there, and it arrived really fast. Now I down between a couple of knitting patterns to start my sweater. I like your multi colored fiber. And isn't it interesting how different sheep have different wooly coats with different traits.? Happy new week Kathy. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that you bought some yarn when you were there. It is really amazing how many different sheep there are and all quite unique. I love searching out the rare or heritage sheep. Happy new week hugs

      Delete
  4. Just beautiful fibers, Kathy. I like how some of the colored fibers have little nubs. Gives them more character and I bet they will look great in a poncho or whatever you choose to make. I also look forward to seeing what dyes you will use to dye your white spun fibers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, that is part of the adventure for me too I think spinning all these different types of wools. I had forgotten about how much white wool yarn I am going to have. I did buy several different natural dyes from the dye teacher on my last Fiber U visit that I haven't used before-logwood for one. I am not set up for dyeing in this kitchen so I think I will be dyeing outdoors or a fire or I may pick up an electric one burner that plugs in Gor sure I will be dying browns with my black walnuts-that doesn't need a mordant either

      Delete
  5. Interesting to see also the animals that provide the different wools! Especially those with curly long hair, too cute! Hahaha, yes, too much, I have that, too. Esp from the days when I started joining this group and was unsure which media to use.
    Looking forward to your dying and... what you will do with the wool!
    Have a great week, hugs (and, OMG the lake... help! THAT is busy...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow!! I thought our big lake here was busy but yikes! I am surpised you don't have lots of accidents.
    that wool with the multi colors is beautiful. It sounds like you are enjoying spinning but you are going to have to start knitting!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't knit or crochet-but I do weave instead-Yes I need to get back to weaving soon for sure-I have my loom threaded for large dish towels I need to get to that, and then plan for my yellowstone inspired wrap.
      Yes there are too many accidents here on Lake in the Ozarks-people are crazy here it is this busy all summer long on the weekends and especially the holidays through labor day.

      Delete
  7. I love seeing your spinning and where the wool came from. Have a lovely day today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They gray yarn is a nice gray, very attractive.
    Nice explanation about the types of wool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, this is really a lovely grey anxious to spin it

      Delete
  9. What a great post! One could get a good education in weaving by following along with you. I loved the sheep pictures you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I thought seeing these sheep was interesting too-these are all on the rare side

      Delete
  10. First I want to thank you for the letter! I loved it. You will be getting a package from me soon....That Icelandic sheep is one big bruiser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sooo welcome Debra. haha the fiber is fabulous got it yesterday-anxious to spin it to what it is like I love mail-thank you hugs

      Delete
  11. Dear Kathy, the yarn mix with the Yellowstone colors looks really great! You make me happy with the sheep photos - I love sheep. And I am pleased that you support rare breeds of sheep with your spinning projects. Have fun with it!
    Warm summer greetings 🌸☀️🌸 and all the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/06/meine-erlebnisse-und-outfits-im.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS: Have I already written to you that I have no luck with emailing you? I wanted to reply to your emails a couple of times, but I always got error messages...

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit