Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Happy Mid Week & Weaving Woes

  Happy Mid-week. 

    Wow one of our neighbors has already arrived for this year's longer 4th of July celebration - long weekend. With the 4th being on a Tuesday this year-people are already arriving at the lake. I figured they would start coming in late Thursday for sure but many are already here. A good thing though is we are cooler this morning, a few sprinkles is all we got for rain, but cooler morning is wonderful, although it will change into a very humid day.

  Monday I decided it was time to finish setting up my loom for weaving. It has been at least a year or more since I did the threading and put on all the warp. For some reason, I had a difficult time with the threading, redoing allot of it over. When finished I rechecked all the threads to make sure it was right. Needed a break from it, so there it sat.

  I finished the tie up of the pedals according to the draft (pattern) and started to weave-ugh part of the pattern was all wrong. I was to have little squares in some sections. It took allot of playing around to figure out the mistake in the pattern. This is a pattern I found in one of the Handwoven magazines I was getting for several years-Summer 1985. Never had this occur before with one of their patterns.

  So I was so happy that I was able to figure this out--but then after weaving several inches I see another pattern mistake-now it is in the pattern that is threaded through the heddles ugh 

   The right side section is not making the little squares.  Only way to fix this is to cut the threads and re thread that section-ugh. Do I want to do this? No but Yes I will need to, but decided to weave one towel first and then cut that off the loom and rethread that section, tie it all back on and begin again. This project will make several 40 inch long towels so don't want the mistake in all of these towels. This process will waste allot of threads so decided to weave off the first towel first.

  On a second thought-I may think on this and decide to cut if off now and fix the problem first before weaving more. Frustrating for sure I know I am not happy with this threading error

This is what the weave is suppose to look like (where the squares start) across the whole towel I wove about 4 inches below this trying to figure out how to correct the mistake in the pattern tie up.


This is what the right side looks like-that should be all little squares where there is just 2 and then 1 row of squares. This is very frustrating for me. I know things happen.


  Sorry about the photos, this camera is just not taking good photos for me-you can't even tell that the squares are blue in this above photo. I will be looking for a new camera soon-this distorts the photos when I zoom in-there is no auto focus, the colors are not always true-I should have tested the camera out better before deciding to keep it.

   I did get a decent pre sunrise photo very early this morning-the sky was very red


Here is a photo I took several weeks ago-you can see how it is distorted a bit from zooming in Not as bad as most-I can not zoom photos in for boats on the lake or the eagles at all-sigh

     I thought this was an interesting line up of these Canada geese.



Happy Mid week and if you are in the States Happy Independence Day

18 comments:

  1. We've been in the cloudy and wet zone for most days now, so I'm hoping we get some sun soon. I'd love your cooler weather too. Especially with the long weekend coming up. In my area next week is a huge vacation week, which means the population in my area doubles or even triples. I bet it is similar for you? Your weaving looks amazing. It would be fun to learn to weave I think, except that it means more supplies and space for a loom, so I will just have to enjoy seeing yours. Have a great end of your week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cloudy and wet gets old too, we have been very hot and humid here-saw that we are to reach 103 F tomorrow that's a bit much for us now.
      Yes we have the lake mostly to ourselves and the fisherman in the fall and the winter-summers are bonkers here not even safe to take the boat out unless you go out very early which Larry will do sometimes
      weaving is fun-if you want to try it allot of weavers use the rigid heddle looms-I never figured out how to use those but they come pretty wide and you just set them on the table-they have allot of books out now for those looms too, I follow a weaver that lives in England that designs her own clothing patterns-she only weaves on the narrow rigid heddle looms.
      You have a great weekend too hugs

      Delete
  2. I admire the patience you have! You weave and unweave, and when the thing does not give for more you leave it in suspense and resume it when you feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I don't usually go through issues like this, I have been weaving off and on since the late '70's so I guess I was due for some problem solving-smiles. if I get too frustrated best to let it sit for a bit

      Delete
  3. Hi Kathy!! Oh ! I sure missed you at T... I finally made it to T and you weren't there... snniff, sniff!!! LOL! Today was 108... supposed to be cooler tomorrow.. 104... lol I'am getting up at 5am to play golf... yup ... uuughh.. Trust me it looks like thats the only way i'm playing golf this Summer... I'am not one to bake at over 100 to chase a little white ball (well mines pink) ... Oh that pattern mistake would have really ruffled my feathers .. so much so that i might have thrown in the towel... literally and figuratively on that pattern.. I admire you for figuring it out and sticking with it! I hope you find some peace this coming weekend from all the boat noise on the lake... maybe if you get up REALLY early like i'am to play golf you'll find some quiet before everyone else is up at the Lake.. Take care my friend, stay cool and weave away!!! Big Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, I am taking a bit of a break from T for a bit-I will be around for the 10th anniversary though. we are early risers-always have been only time of day right now that it is cool here too-we are to hit 104 degrees F Thursday too, with no rain yet-I will be up early watering my flowers which is quite a chore.
      I was pretty miffed discovering this threading error too-there is allot of yarn on the loom so a bit too expensive to throw it out and that error really stands out being such a wide section-big ugh for sure. I am working it out in my mind still on how to tackle this without causing a major headache over it.
      It will be bonkers here for sure-I am actually praying for some rain here this weekend we really really need some and will quiet the lake-smiles
      hugs back my friend

      Delete
  4. Sorry you've had a threading issue to correct. I don't know about it all, but I sympathize just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Kathy, that sounds so frustrating the weaving, I mean, I think I would´ve given up...
    The camera sure is another nasty thing. Hope you get a proper one soon.
    Your beautiful lake sure makes up for it all, though!
    Oh, right, 4th of July is on the way.
    I hope it doesn´t get too crazy and loud.
    Friday already... I wish you a happy weekend, hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-yep the lake will be crazy for several days for the 4th still no rain hee either-sigh

      Delete
  6. Sorry the weaving is complicated, and not going to plan. Hope you can sort it. Have a wonderful long weekend, take care, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you much I am waiting til my mind is fresh to tackle it

      Delete
  7. Have a wonderful fourth. Just arrived at the lake! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photographs of the lake.
    Happy Independence Day when it arrives :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my friend! I hope you are cooler! We are so humid here. I'll have to water the gardens tonight...Your weaving is lovely! I know you said there are problems, but I only see a pretty pattern!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit