Sunday, December 25, 2022

T Stands for Christmas Cards & Homemade Tamales

  Hoping this finds all of you that lost power during the arctic snow storm -  now having your electric back on. That is so difficult with frigid temperatures and no fireplace or woodstove for some heat. I do miss not having a working woodstove here at the lake house-and I would also be able to cook on it because this one has a flat top too.

  I wanted to share my lovely handmade Christmas cards and also a few others.

  This is the glass sliding door from the kitchen area into my computer slash weaving slash storage room-which gives me a lovely spot to tape up the cards. These are the cards that were not handmade.


This one below is the pretty card from Bleubeard and Elizabeth


and inside-cool stamps E and kitties


I love these vintage postcards, especially the wolf card-thanks much, I think there was one more item in the envelope too-I had already added these items to my mixed media folders before I took the photo.


Another favorite on this glass door was from my friend that meets me at the woods house to pack up Larry's scope repair shop Sorry about the flash this was the best photo of the bunch.


and this one is from my friend Cathy-sheep dressed up for winter. I love sheep and so does she-so this one had me smiling  Cathy hooks allot of rugs with wool strips-something my Mom had done when I was a little kid.


 I had a couple handmade cards and a very awesome fold out card which I had never seen before.

Isn't this first one adorable?? This card is from Rain in Canada


Perhaps some of you  may remember Agnes-or Aggie in Paris France? We reconnected again on google chat-she found me. Always loved her art. This is the inside of her card it is all folded-sorry I don't remember the name of this technique but is from Japan. Sadly she had something inside the card that didn't make it, or the large gnome sticker on the back of the envelope didn't make it through the mail, which was disappointing


This is the fold out card-isn't it too awesome?  From my slow mail friend Mary thank you
  All of these cards are sitting on the mantel with my gnomes and pottery pieces.


This beautiful card is from Carola-so pretty I love it with the cardinals and the flower. thank you so much.


And this lovely card came in the day before the storm hit here at the lake, so I was able to get it out of the mailbox beforehand. From May at Salty Pumpkin. This is so pretty with sparkles too.


May also included a few beautiful Christmas tags-thank you so much May


  I want to thank those of you that wanted to share handmade Christmas cards with me this year-something I enjoy doing for the holidays.

    Christmas Day was our first warmer day since the arctic blast came through. We made it to around 20 degrees F. Yesterday I grabbed my snow shovel and worked on getting the steps cleared and a little bit of the steep hill. It was really too cold for me to be working outdoors but knowing that Monday was a mail holiday, I needed to get my mail out of the box from a few days and also mail something. Since it was very cold outdoors, I ended up doing a little shoveling on the lower part of the hill and then just walked between the concrete wall and my car-carefully got myself up and down. Middle of this week coming up, we will have a warm up.

  Because of the storm I haven't been able to get the peanut brittles made for our friends, so they didn't visit either for the other goodies I made for them and it also wasn't safe to be on the wintry roads either. Hoping I can do that tomorrow (Monday).

 Larry is still having some issues from the operation-slow healing. We see the doctor on the 30th-and thankfully all the ice and snow should be gone by then as it is an hour drive or more each way.

  I did made us homemade tamales for Christmas eve and roasted cornish hens for Christmas day. Since my post is so long already I will detail the tamales later in the week-perhaps for Rain's Dinner Date These tamales were really delicious and I made the filling different this time.




For my drink share this week I have been drinking lots of decaf teas and coffee all week but haven't gotten another photo of those, but I also have in the frig this bottle of yummy eggnog that I will pour me a shot of later on tonight. I took this photo looking into my frig-haha to the right is a big pitcher of ice tea.
   I only need a shot of this-so delicious- it has allot of alcohol in it. This is my favorite brand for an egg nog with alcohol in it.



Happy T and new week everyone

Monday afternoon update:  I am very excited as I just got notice that the handblown glass dip pen from Germany is arriving tomorrow (Tuesday) I will need to be more careful with this one.

  As Iris had mentioned that she would probably break one of these glass pens-the one I have now from Japan just snapped in half when I was taking off the plastic protector for the point sigh-I taped it together so I could still use it for balance. I did get allot of writing accomplished so far-all the Christmas cards and all the postcards I am sending out, and also a few slow mail letters too. It still is working fine being taped together but still. 


I have kept it stored in this nice box along with that thick plastic ptotector- I think I will write a note to the company I bought this from-perhaps a weak point in the stem



52 comments:

  1. I love handmade cards! Rain sent me one of hers too it is so good. The tamales look delicious.
    -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy making them too-gives me a bit of Christmas and I loved Rain's card too-so sweet. the tamales are really good

      Delete
  2. Those X'mas cards are so beautiful! I have never had or made tamales...wish I could taste some of yours :-) Continue to enjoy your holiday, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never had a tamale til after I was married to my husband (over 40 years ago) I started making them a few years before I retired-time consuming but easy. would be more fun to have a tamale making party though

      Delete
  3. You received a wonderfu selection of cards, enjoy! It's nice to be remembered. Enjoy your time together, keep warm and cosy, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ended up cooking on my woodstove while the power was out. I can see why you missed it Kathy. And you received some lovely cards also. It sounds like your holiday was quiet, but that isn't really a bad thing. I;ve never made tamales before. They look so pretty with the corn. And I know what you mean about the eggnog. A shot is just enough. I hope you have a wonderful T day and rest of 2022. Can you believe it is almost a new year? Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it a fun experience to cook on top of the woodstove-did that many times when the power went out in the past. Here at the lake we would be in trouble for sure with no heat. Glad your power got back on.
      The tamales are really good-I think you would enjoy making them. I will do a post on them this week.
      Nope can't believe 2022 is almost over Happy T hugs

      Delete
  5. Hello! Hope you are safe and warm there along the lake. We were so blessed to have our power on during the storm. It would have been awful otherwise. There are still lots of people out of power here in New York. We wish we had a wood stove too-I have had lots of experience with them, and one time had a big kitchen wood stove that I would bake bread in the oven. It was a monster of a stove, but worked so good. Wow-your eggnog looks quite potent! Hope your hubby is well and that his doctor appointment will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I am so grateful and feel very blessed to for not losing our electric-that would have been very very bad for us here at the lake.
      Oh how awesome! I always wanted a large wood cookstove or even a hearth made for cooking and baking in-I would really really love that.
      This is an excellent eggnog takes like how they made in the olden days with lots of spirits-smiles-I only need a small shot of it at a time so good.
      thank you much I am hoping all goes well at the doctors appt too

      Delete
  6. Kathy they don't send cards around here anymore. The end of the year greetings are made by watssap. Of course it is not the same. Those cards that were sent to us many years ago could be touched and even felt the perfume of those who sent them. I miss that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, there are many here in the states that no longer mail out Christmas cards either. The postage has gotten quite expensive too. I really enjoy the creative process of making handmade cards and then mailing them out-a way to stay in touch with long time friends for me, and gives me a little Christmas interaction with people.
      I made and mailed out over 40 cards this year. I think I will cut that list way down next year. the cards do bring back family memories for me too

      Delete
  7. Beautiful cards. The egg nog looks delicious! Stay warm and Upright!
    Prayers Larry heals well

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Good morning Anne, thank you and Merry Christmas to you as well

      Delete
  9. It just wouldn't seem like Christmas if there were no cards arriving to the postal box at the end of the lane. You certainly got some beautiful ones. Of course, the handmade ones are so special. We survived another Christmas, and all went well. I am definitely ready to hunker down and enjoy some time inside by the warm fire. Tamales on Christmas eve would be perfect. We usually have cheese dip and chips on that evening. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you had a good Christmas-hugs. Cheese dip and chips sounds perfect too-hugs

      Delete
  10. Your Christmas sounds quiet and very lovely - the way I prefer it. I have never made tamales myself - yours look really good. You received some very beautiful cards. And good thing you were careful with all that cold and snow - snow shoveling is something I certainly don't miss (but I do miss the snow sometimes). I wish you a happy new year, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I have really enjoyed my cards this Christmas very much. a little snow is always pretty but it can be dangerous-especially when one works and has to drive in-that was one of the best things about retirement for me-no more driving on icy and snowy roads.
      Happy New Year hugs

      Delete
  11. Happy T-day, Kathy.

    Looks like you got quite a wonderful and delightful set of Christmas cards. I hope to get everyone's address by next Christmas and send some too. I love each one you received - all so different.

    Hoping your husband gets some relief soon. So hard when our hubbies suffer. Breaks our hearts.

    Tamales are my favorite - I grew up with them at Christmas. I think I am going to make some for New Years. Thanks for the reminder.

    I always worry about my glass pen - they are super fragile but worth it.

    Lovely post.

    Happy New Year and hugz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Yes I really enjoyed the cards I received this year-the handmade ones I will save to enjoy next year too and the fold out card-love that one too.
      This has been a long recovery for my husband-thank you
      We really love tamales too perfect for New Years too or anytime as my husband would say-smile
      I really love writing with this pen so much-can't believe it snapped like that just taking off the nib protector.
      Happy New Year-hugs

      Delete
  12. You sure are loved, oh, this is so sweet!
    Yes, you are in our news withe that weather! We have it nearly cozy....
    Very sad your friends could not visit.
    And yes, as we get older... healing takes time. I still need heaps of tissues and don´t want to imagine what you are going through - best wishes from here!!
    Looking forward to the tamales - ack, I still cannot eat. Maybe you´ll make me :-)
    Hahaha on the eggnog!!! Guess I got the wrong one! (I really let the toilet take care of it).

    OH! Those glass-thingies... I will leave them for you! I have my Mont Blanc from my Mum.
    So I wish you loads of fun with your glass pen.
    Oh, why am I so clumsy?

    Either way: To better weather, fun and all, hugs to you all and the lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not good that you can't eat-please stay hydrated with water and my Mom would give us 7 up too when we couldn't eat with crackers. did you save your eggnog label? this brand takes like the old fashioned homemade ones from years ago.
      I was quite surprised when my glass pen just snapped in half from taking off the nib protector-I wrote the seller will see what she says.
      we are supposed to be getting a warm up but this morning 8 degrees F very cold get better hugs

      Delete
  13. I love the way you can display all your awesome cards. I didn't get the snow like you did, but we did get the cold snap. I'm looking forward to the warmup this weekend. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ I am so looking forward to the warm up too Happy T

      Delete
  14. you sound so happy in this post. Lovely cards, gifts and great food. Hmmm nothing like homemade tamales. Have a wonderful day today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, so lovely to see all your cards and they make such a beautiful display! I hope you're staying warm with the cold snap and those tamales sound so delicious 😊. I'd love to try that eggnog - Happy T Day! Enjoy the rest of the holidays and wishing you all the very best for the New Year! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jo this brand of eggnog is really good Happy T and Happy New Year hugs

      Delete
  16. Lovely cards you received Kathy, I've hardly received any so far because of the mail strikes, maybe they will turn up for new year lol. Sorry to hear about your dip pen breaking, maybe they would replace it? Hope your husband feels better soon, probably this cold weather isn't helping the healing process either. Happy Holidays and Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow what a bad time of year to have a mail strike that's probably why they did it-sad Thinking of all the packages that didn't get delivered either. I wrote to the seller about this pen, telling her what happened, perhaps she will consider a replacement-I didn't ask for one since I have had it for a month now.
    This bitter cold has been difficult but we will begin to warm up soon-Happy T hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually been striking for months now, and it's not been so bad but then at this time of year we sent so much more mail, so it's been a problem.

      Delete
  18. Oh what a shame the glass pen broke!
    Your home made cards are beautiful and the food looks really yummy. I have never had tamales in spite of the fact that I have Mexican friends. And the hens make my mouth water.
    I'm sorry to be late but happy T-Day and a happy New Year!,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I was bumbed about the pen breaking especially since it was not dropped at all the tamales are a favorite of ours. never late-hugs

      Delete
  19. Yes, I got your card. Thank you so much. It's beautiful. I'm sorry if I failed to mention it. When I get home I have a lot of mail to answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no worries about that at all just wanted to make sure it came through to you hugs

      Delete
  20. All those beautiful cards Kathy!!!! Wow! You are certainly lucky! My cards seem to get fewer all the time.. I used to hang them all around the door frames of the house.. Now i just have a few sitting on the table.. But i love to send them and receive them.. Hold me to it Kathy! .. next year i plan to make my own..!

    Oh man you broke your pen!!! Such would be my luck.. I'm glad you got another though.. You know contacting the company may not be a bad idea .. I'm sure your not the only person to break one while taking off the plastic protector.. maybe bad design on their part.. Happy t day! And enjoy the rest of your week... Glad Larry will see doc soon.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was probably the most cards I have received in a few years. I loved the handmade cards and Mary's pop out one-that one is really special I am going to cut down on the amount of cards I make next year-I sent out over 40 and I never get back that many-which isn't the point but the postage is getting pretty expensive. so that's what I am thinking now haha.
      I couldn't believe how this pen just snapped. I wrote the seller not asking for a replacement but letting her know what happened-hoping she will send me a replacement. the one from Germany arrived today-so gorgeous can't wait to use it . he said the point was delicate so I asked him about what papers to use or if it mattered.
      I am glad for this doctors visit too I am concerned about some things. hugs

      Delete
  21. I apologize that I am late visiting. I can't get my blog POST to load, but I got my blog to load once and now I am afraid to refresh it in case I won't be able to see it at all. Please be aware I am truly honored and sincerely delighted you shared your egg nog with Bleubeard and me for T this Tuesday. I am so grateful for your friendship and fellowship over a drink. Thank you for joining us for T today.

    One year, a couple of friends and I made 100 tamales. I never want to make another one (grin)!

    Bleubeard and I also want to wish you a very happy holiday and a safe, healthy, joyous 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the internet troubles-I know when I visit you it takes forever to load. usually tamales are made with several others which I think would make it more fun-I make around 40 to 50 at one sitting. Happy New Year hugs

      Delete
  22. Kathy so glad to read that you came through that storm safely. Your tamales look fantastic. I have only done Cornish hens a couple of times in my married life. Must do so again. Funny how one forgets after almost 46 years of marriage the fun things tried in the past. Hoping next year to do some handmade Christmas Cards. It has been a long time since I did them. Just read on Jo Castillo's blog that she sets her goal to be done by Valentine's Day for next year's Christmas Cards. I like that idea.

    Well take care friend and have a Happy New Year...P.S. that egg nog looks delicious. Have a sip for me. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie there are 2 shots of egg nog left-cheers Hugs.
      I like to start my Christmas card making close to Halloween This year I didn't start them til mid November which worked out well-I got the overseas cards done and mailed first and then started on the rest-It is part of my Christmas celebration that way.
      I have not made cornish hens either in many years-when I did a quick food shopping trip the day before the winter storm they had a freezer case full of them-so thought perfect and something different they turned out really good too.
      You take care as well Happy New Year

      Delete
  23. Your Tamales look delicious.
    Loved seeing all your cards, both boxed and handmade.
    That is so disappointing about your pen. I hope that your new one holds up better.
    Happy Belated Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Kate, Yes I was disappointed that pen broke like that-have not heard back from the seller yet Happy T

      Delete
    2. if your rolls is as delicious as they look they are super :) Would love tryng oen.

      Happy New Year

      Delete
  24. I love seeing your wonderful cards -- you have many talented friends. And those tamales look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much-Yes I received lovely handmade cards this year

      Delete
  25. I love your blog but is to long to read
    huigs and kisses fro Miami

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit