Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date

  Hello Friends, I have been wanting to link with Rain for awhile but things have been kind of crazy here the last few months. 

   This is the link to Rain's blog. She has prompts for the art date if you wish to join in, or share your own art and/or the dinner date is sharing food.

  On T I shared a photo of our Christmas Eve tamales that I like to make every year. It started out for a little tradition for us around 25-30 years ago. I wasn't really familiar with them, but when I was working at the time a co worked was talking about how her and her family made 100's of tamales for Christmas eve. She told me all about, asked Larry about them-"I love tamales"   so I make them a couple times every year now.

  I found this recipe in a bag of the corn husks and have followed it ever since. You can change up the meat you want to use-beef, pork, chicken or could come up with a vegetarian alternative like veggies and beans  perhaps.


This recipe adds a little shredded cheese to the meat mixture which I like using a cheese that will melt a bit. I usually end up with way more filling and need to make a few batches of the masa.

Here is my set up:

   I usually will make a pork roast the day before, and then shred the meat. Chicken is good to or even a beef roast shredded. During the winter months especially I keep on hand several cans of the below usa canned beef-since I am not set up for canning here at the lake house-I love this product. When you open it up looks and tastes just like your own canned beef.

   So this year I drained (saved the broth for later) and followed the meat mixture in recipe.

    I do use lard instead of shortening-one year I made it with coconut oil-bad idea don't do it haha. I haven't been able to find real lard made by a butcher in years now so I use store bought. For the masa flour I used Bob's Red Mill's corn flour-gluten free. It works very nice and is a finer corn flour.

  For more flavor I like to fry up chorizo drain and add to the meat-this beef chorizo was perfect to go with the shredded beef


One needs to remember to get your corn husks in warm water early to soften-at least 6 hours is good. If you don't use them all just dry them out and store for later


beef chorizo frying-I ended up using both sticks in the mixture for better flavor


The masa dough


I am set up to make tamales now


I soak a small towel in warm water, wring out and cover masa dough to keep moist




Above needs rolled up and tied-place in steamer-steam for one hour
   These freeze very well too



   For my art portion I don't have much to show at the moment. I have been watching watercolor videos and also drawing videos on Craftsy. I learned some new things so far, will share soon. I also ordered a drawing book and also it's companion workbook-It is a world wide favorite for learning how to draw. My friend Agnes in Paris France suggested it to help me learn. They should be arriving in the mail next week sometime.

  Happy New Year!!

  Found this photo online

Thanks for stopping by

15 comments:

  1. Your tamales made from scratch look fabulous. Happy New Year, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tamale recipe, have never made these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your welcome they are actually quite fun to make if you like making things in the kitchen-I always have. Traditionally several people would gather together around a table and make these

      Delete
    2. Oh and I forgot to mention I always keep a small cup of water nearby I use it to keep the masa dough moist while shaping it on the husk

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the recipe Kathy. I'm impressed you even made your tortillas. They look yummy and it's a fun tradition to have. Happy new year to you. I hope you have a happy and healthy 2023. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fell for the coconut oil, too. Eeeeek.
    The other ingedients I´ve never seen here, alas. We don´t even have self-raising flour!!
    Your meal looks so yummy!!!
    We will maybe hit the Christmas Market today and mayyyyybe get something yummy, too (maybe not cause prices are through Santa´s roof)

    I mis-cooked, so I do not join today.

    To a wonderful 2023!!! Nice pics, hugs from here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I do use allot of coconut oil in baking-I really like it but not for tamales. I have never used self rising flour, I think this was used allot in the southern states here-easy to make yourself they add baking powder and salt. I no longer add salt to anything-I leave it out in my baking too.
      We really like tamales-they are very good. I saw a show on the tv about the German Christmas markets looked so fun to visit-hope you get to go Happy New Year to you and Ingo-hugs

      Delete
  5. Food and Family; Wonderful!!!

    HAPPY HOLIDAYS
    Link to my 12 Days of Christmas HERE

    There is an annual festival happening at my blog now. I invite you to link up. You do not have to place a link back link on your blog; just link up.

    I will after the festival catch up with prompts and add my links

    MUCH🎄LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tamales look delicous, Kathy. I don't think I ever had store bought lard. My mom used to make lard and it was so delicious that I don't want to spoil that memory with any other lard. Have a happy and healthy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such ambition that you make your Tamales from scratch ... they look wonderful and I learned some new ideas from your post ... like I never knew what chorizo was. Now I just have to ask ... is it spicy hot? As for your art ... are you going to share the name of the drawing book for those of us who still need help :) I so envy you that you are living on a lake ... I did, once upon a time, and miss it terribly. So enough said ... I wish you well and safe and happiness in the New Year, Kathy :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Andrea, yes the chorizo can be hot so just check the labels I think the pork is a little hotter and more greasy too. we lived in the woods for almost 20 years after retirement and Hubs was thinking about moving on to the lake-I said let's do it! Happy New Year

      Delete
  8. Oh Kathy what a great post! I've always wanted to try making tamales but never ventured, you make it look so easy! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit