Friday, December 16, 2022

Christmas Cookie Baking Has Begun & Sharing a Gluten Free Recipe

  Good evening, I thought I would pop in real quick because I wanted to share a new to me chocolate chip cookie recipe by King Arthur.

  When I change up a recipe to gluten free flour and/or also change the sugars over to keto sweeteners-well the cookies are not going to be like those toll house cookies most of us grew up on. They just won't be-but I was looking to improve on the cookie I have been baking.

 Since most of these cookies I am baking are for gift giving for young guys (20's-30's) I did buy organic sugar to bake with-if I am going to bake with sugar I want a quality sugar at least haha. I also wanted to bake a chocolate chip cookie that wasn't as sweet as the original toll house recipe-that uses sooo much sugars, and I also wanted to bake up a batch of gluten free too while I am baking.

  I have a very thick King Arthur cookie cookbook on my shelf but I found this recipe online and I am very very happy with the results so wanted to share it with you-especially if you are looking for a good tasting gluten free version. find here and below photo from their site


 I liked that this recipe used butter and shortening-I used coconut oil for the shortening. It also had less sugar than most recipes, and it had a little bit of vinegar which was interesting along with the baking soda.

 For the gluten free version I used Bob's Red Mill 1-1 gluten free flour (my favorite gluten free flour), I used organic white sugar and for the brown sugar I used Swerve brown sweetener (keto). I made the balls of dough a little bit larger and flattened them allot on the pan before baking. In my oven I dropped the temperature to 350 degrees f instead of the 375 degrees f-and these gluten free cookies to be baked through totally need to be really brown-so an extra minute maybe two minutes more-the first batch looked baked but they weren't

 In the past when I convert to gluten free flour and keto sweeteners the cookies do not bake flat like you want them to for a chocolate chip cookie. I think using a sugar and a keto sugar together helped, along with really flattening the balls of dough first.

Here is a photo of the gluten free I am really happy with these and they taste really good too



 
For the wheat cookies I used King Arthur's unbleached flour and also King Arthur's white whole wheat flour. Both recipes I used Nestle's dark chocolate chips-they are large chips.



  So the wheat ones are bagged up for the guys, plus some in the freezer for Larry later-and most of the gluten free ones are bagged up and going in the freezer too except for a few to eat-sooo good.

Happy Holiday baking everyone-tomorrow I will be begin working on the roll out cookies-gingerbread, sugar, and peanut butter.

28 comments:

  1. I love that you baked all these. What a wonderful thing and the smells in the kitchen. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies look so good. I haven't started on anything, oh dear! Hugs, Valerie
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wasn't baking for the guys I probably would not do much this year, still waiting for a sunny day to make the brittle

      Delete
  3. You bake for others? Now that is the spirit of Christmas!! Bet they all love it, hugs and to a merry time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely use coconut oil instead of shortening. They turned out fabulous, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they really did no I do not use shortening at all coconut oil is an exellent substitute

      Delete
  5. I alwlays come back to king arthur flour I had bananas given to me and I did not have all the ingredients I usually use in my bread so I went to them and it came out wonderful my husband loved it. I am not a big banana bread person but the neighbor loved it too.
    Enjoy your cookies yum
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is not big on banana bread or any of these quick breads for some reason, I really like pumpkin bread I found a really good recipe for keto sweeteners and gluten free-perfect with a spread of cream cheese too

      Delete
  6. Enjoying watching you bake Kathy!!! If i had someone to give it to i would be baking too.. ! Happy Weekend! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cookies look perfect. I always start with a ball, then flatten. I love a thin chocolate chip cookie. The guys are going to love these. Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I do too makes a nicer chocolate chip cookie, I think my Mom always flatten them. I am keeping this recipe Happy Sunday

      Delete
  8. Hello Kathy,
    Your cookies look delicious. I am making the chocolate chip cookies this week.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family. Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whatever the ingredients, your baking always looks excellently delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum! Just popping by to wish you a Merry Christmas and wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy I always enjoy seeing what you do with GF flours. I use the 1-1 ratio in either King Arthur or Pillsbury. They have come a long way since I had to start baking GF. So glad you shared your recipes friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit