Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Christmas Kitchen Treats

   I started making some things this week for Christmas

    I made several batches of Chex mix-using all gluten free cereals, crackers and pretzels. This freezes well so froze half of it

 Yesterday I thought I would give chocolate bark a try, it was not sunny and we had allot of rain over the night before. I only make things like nut brittles when it's full sunshine otherwise it will not work. I made up the white chocolate bark and allot of it would not come off in big pieces off the marble slab I use. So yep a bit too humid for the bark too.  Totally forgot to take photos-some had pistachios and dried strawberries and cranberries, another had slivered almonds with apricots-always fun. I still have the dark chocolate bark to work up and I will dip some glazed fruits in dark chocolate too, once the sun comes out.


I went in my deep freezer and grabbed different nuts, chocolates, flours, sugars and set them on a fold up table I usually use for my soap making. My computer room has no heat in it so perfect spot for all of these goods



   I had to run to town real quick to pick up just a few things, and once I got back started mixing up the roll out cookies-those are my favorites for Christmas cookies. I have batches of gingerbread doughs made up so far, next up the sugar roll out dough and I may make up a batch of peanut butter roll outs this year.

  Larry is doing a little better today thank you all for your well wishes and prayers.

We have some bitter cold temps coming in over the weekend-ugh stay warm everyone

27 comments:

  1. Well wishes continue for you both
    Thank you! Reading about your cookie making, I remember I have dough in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you much, oh glad you remembered your dough-hugs

      Delete
    2. I figured out why some of my comments appear missing! Lol. That Anon is me. I've been forgetting I logged out before leaving comments.

      Delete
  2. Glad to read that Larry is feeling better and oh my gosh, what fun your kitchen sounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes fun in the kitchen I mixing up lots of cut out cookie dough today

      Delete
  3. I made chex mix but not the gluten free one. I have made loads of cookies and sweet breads. I started giving them out today. So glad your husband is feeling better.
    happy baking
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good for you-I am behind this year, I usually get going on the baking especially right after thanksgiving. I am happy too Larry is feeling better-a ways to go for sure but much better

      Delete
  4. That's interesting about chocolate bark not working unless the sun is out. I've never made it, but do you think it's the humidity? I'm planning on some cookie baking either tomorrow or Friday. I'm trying to wait until we get close to xmas this year so I don't eat cookies and cookies and cookies and then have none left for the holiday. Good luck with the chocolate bark on a sunny day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, yes it is the humidity. the bark is not quite as touchy as say dipping chocolates but this batch was not happy. peanut brittle divinity for sure a sunny day too. I usually put cookies in the freezer or I 'hide" them so not easy to get to. I will be making allot of cut out cookies this year

      Delete
  5. Glad to know that Larry is on the mend, Kathy. I need to bake some cookies this week too or maybe some white chocolate barks since my husband is a huge fan of white chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves the dark chocolate I really like the white bark too-still too cloudy here sigh

      Delete
  6. Wow, you are doing a lot of baking, have fun. Good to be baking in cold weather! Glad Larry is feeling a bit better, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes baking is perfect for this cold weather-we will be very very frigid here in a few more days. thanks Valerie

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad to hear about Larry doing better Kathy. He must be one tough fella to go with out pain meds with something so painful. Girl you sure have a BUNCH of baking to do.. Can i come over?! lol Everything sounds yummy. Thank you for the tip about the sun. I've never paid attention to that. Hubs hand is feeling better too.. not looking too pretty but as long as he doen't bump it , it doesn't hurt too much.. Take care stay warm. We are having a cold spell too... Heard the heat come on this morning.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes if you lived closer I would say come on over you could help decorate the cookies-I am good at that and leave them plain most of the time haha
      I learned that about the candy making from a fellow worker many many years ago. candy doesn't like humidity. Glad your hubs is doing better too-hugs

      Delete
  8. Dear Kathy, today it's a delicious post with lots of calories ;-) You've been very busy!
    I hope you have a pleasant pre-Christmas period!
    All the best from Austria
    Traude (just returned from a 3-week trip...)
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/12/besuch-im-tierpark-stadt-haag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for visiting-I will check your trip out soon hugs

      Delete
  9. I love chex mix. I can't stop so I don't make it often! Well done on getting the baking in and good news on Larry. I've got to start baking today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly only make it during christmas same here I am a snacker

      Delete
  10. I have a recipe that is similar to the Chex mix that I hope to make before Christmas. I am glad that Larry is doing better and I hope your cookies turn out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, thanks so much-and hope you share your recipe

      Delete
  11. I've never made chocolate bark before, I think I will try it. Thanks for the idea. Have a very nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are fun-just melt it down-pour it out and add what ever toppings-makes nice gifts

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit