Friday, October 14, 2022

Good Morning Saturday-Amazing Pre-Sunrise

 Happy weekend friends,

    The weatherman has lowered our temperatures for the weekend and next week, but still hoping to get some things accomplished outdoors. and Saturday around 4 pm we are hosting a small fishing-birthday party for Larry. His birthday is on the 16th which is a Sunday. We have looked around and purchased some hand crafted brats, some mild some very hot. Larry didn't want potato salad just munchies and dips. I am thinking of baking upside down pineapple cupcakes too. Should be fun. Originally we were to be in the mid 70's all weekend which has changed to the mid 60's instead.

   We are also on a red flag alert-conditions ideal for wildfires-so I won't be firing up the grill this weekend.

   We woke up to an amazing looking sky this morning-early. When the sun rose it was soooo bright I couldn't look at it, so didn't get a photo of that.  We also viewed lots of little ducks in small groups-some flying over and some swimming in the lake.

  These photos are shown in order while we watched  We both have always been early risers-never people to just stay in bed late-if we did we would have missed all this beauty





The reds now gone-sun beginning to peak through


The little ducks that we watched on the lake

  In the first photo can you see them??


This one was taken indoors-sorry through dirty windows


This week I made us bean soup with a little bit of ham and cornbread



and my recipe-the best ever in my opinion I have shared this in the past-this one is gluten free and I love the method of mixing this up

Sharing the cornbread recipe I use. I found this online in 2004 on King Arthur Flour's site. It is no longer there.
I always really liked this one because it uses only cornmeal no added wheat flour so this is gluten free too. This is also not sweet which I prefer
This recipe is made for a cast iron pan-could be made in a different pan but won't be the same for the crunchy bottoms and sides.
I use my 9 3/4" inch square cast iron pan. The recipe calls for an 8" cast iron pan. I double this recipe which will fill my pan nicely as it bakes. This is awesome baked outdoors over and under coals in cast iron too
Not-Northern Cornbread by King-Arthur Flour
4 teaspoons bacon drippings or I use 4 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup cornmeal-divided ( if you can find it popcorn meal is really good too added with the cornmeal)
2 teaspoons sugar (I use splenda)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I omit)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup boiling water
3/4 cup buttermilk (I make my own-add 3/4 tablespoon lemon juice to milk or half and half)
1 large egg lightly beaten
Warm up your oven to 450 degrees F when oven to temperature add in your cast iron pan with fat to heat up
In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup of the cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/3 cup cornmeal with the boiling water-stir to blend. Add the buttermilk whisking til most of the lumps are gone. Stir in the beaten egg.
Stir together the wet and dry ingredients, mixing til just combined. Remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour fat into the cornbread batter. Spoon the batter into the hot skillet, spreading it evenly over the bottom. Return the skillet to the oven and bake the cornbread for 20 minutes or til it's starting to brown around the edges, and the center springs back when lightly pressed with your fingertips. Remove the skillet from the oven and transfer the cornbread to a cooling rack. It should slide out of the pan easily
Happy Friday and weekend

27 comments:

  1. The sunset view is amazing! Bean soup and cornbread would make a very satisfying and delicious dinner for these cool nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie-this was a really different looking sunrise this morning. we love soup and cornbread this time of year

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sunrise!!! Happy birthday to your husband enjoy the gathering.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're chilling out here, too. The skies are beautiful and that soup looks like the perfect thing for the cool days! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to hubby. The cornbread sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  5. So enjoyed your sunset photos... Happy Birthday to Larry!!! We just finished with the heart doc.. Hubs had an echo cardiogram this afternoon and a heat cath scheduled for Oct 24th.. Won't know any thing for a while yet.. We are expecting the same cold front as you! So looking forward to cooler temps and RAIN.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry's echo is this coming Monday plus a visit with the cardiac doctor afterwards-it's a 100 mile trip each way now. yikes-can't convince him to grab a hotel.
      good results for your husband's tests this month too hugs
      I am not ready for the 20's f next week but we are nearing the end of october hope you get rain-hugs

      Delete
  6. Boy that is a gorgeous sky. Great photos Kathy. And I hope you have fun celebrating Larry's birthday. Your soup and cornbread look yummy. I haven't had cornbread in a while, and I think I should make some. Have a great weekend, and share your cupcakes with us if you make them. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-this was a stunning sky this morning for sure. The soup and cornbread were really tasty-Happy weekend-hoping to do some baking tomorrow morning early-hugs

      Delete
  7. I think if I could awaken to such beautiful sunrises as yours, I would never sleep in. I have vowed many times to never miss another sunrise, but sometimes our days and nights get mixed up so that I end up sleeping later than I should. I have copied your cornbread recipe and plan to try it this weekend. Happy birthday to Larry! I hope he has the best ever special day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have always been early risers in the mornings-which I am sure you both are too being ranchers-so much to do in a day. We have really enjoyed the sunrises here at the lake very much, at the woods house we couldn't see anything from inside the house-the moons are fabulous too over the lake
      I hope you love the cornbread-let me know how it goes. thank you for the birthday wishes-hoping it warms up more tomorrow for him though for fishing off the dock-hugs

      Delete
  8. Have a wonderful party! Oh, fires are scary. Salad is good then!

    Yes, same here. Even on Saturday up at 05-something a.m. - sadly still pitch-dar, but off to the market soon!
    Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you for those beautiful lake-pics!

    "My" T (former teamleader) would love them, too (but I, depite we WhatsApp every day, don´t want him to know I´m a blogger.
    Plus he is from East Germany and speaks rather Russian than English)

    Ingo made cabbage soup and today I plan a crazy recipe with the rest!

    Happy party over at the lake, hugs!

    P.S. - great background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening (morning to you ) Iris, yes fires are scary-I will grill the brats indoors in my cast iron grill pan. hoping the wind isn't as strong tomorrow and it warms up a bit.
      cabbage soup sounds delicious and what are you making with the cabbage? Glas you enjoyed the early lake views, thanks for noticing the fall background-you are the only one that noticed-hugs

      Delete
  9. Early morning sunrise is always the best time of the day, and I never miss it. Have a great weekend, enjoy your party for Larry and your food always looks soooo good. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree sunrises are the best way to start a new day. thank you-hope you are feeling better-hugs

      Delete
  10. Oh Kathy your sky in the morning was just breathtaking. I too love those early mornings when the sun starts to rise. Larry's birthday menu sounds delicious. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was a really different sky than what we usually see-nothing better than starting one's day with a view of the sunrise

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit