Sunday, October 16, 2022

An October Sunday

 Good morning Friends,

    Yesterday we had invited over new friends and a couple friends from the woods house area-to celebrate Larry's birthday (which is today) and to also enjoy fishing on the dock. I really did not know who if any were going to come-ended up everyone came except for one and he called us that he had an emergency. (his granddaughter totaled her car by crashing into a deer-she is ok-thank goodness).

   I made this into a simple event-homemade bbq beans, lots of different dips, toppings for the brats, chips and dippin fritos. Larry and I both searched for artisan brats and smoked sausages, so I offered a large variety. 

   Grilling in the kitchen on two cast iron grill pans I was busy doing that and did not get much in photos to share.  I bought nicer buns too for the guys-but was surprised most did not eat the buns-but they did eat many brats and most of the bbq beans--this Larry told me after I mentioned we only had 3 brats left but all these buns-that was a surprise to me.  I also picked up from the deli a layered bean-guacamole, sour cream dip, and also a humus dip. One person brought a large pasta-veggie salad.

  Most of the food was gone so I would say they enjoyed everything-smiles-and everyone thanked me and gave big hugs on their way out. I only got a photo of the serving table I had set up before the perishable foods came out.


and the BBQ beans


  I had thought of baking up the pineapple upside down cupcakes for the gathering-but since I hadn't made those before decided to bake today.

  I used a quality gluten free cake mix and added pineapple extract to the batter. I only had one pan that was a bit larger in size (a vintage cupcake pan), so with batter left over I filled up just the batter into the smaller size pan.

  I just took them out of the oven to cool-the upside down ones are wet on the bottom outside-so I placed them into another cupcake liner.  Looking online for recipe ideas most just greased their pans with no cupcake liners-I thought that could be a real mess to get out of the pans. After they have cooled will let you know how they turned out.  Also reading the recipes they were all over the place on how much melted butter and brown sugar to use on the bottoms. So I just melted 1/4 cup of butter and stirred in keto brown sugar sweetener til mostly absorbed into the butter-placed that on the bottom of the liners and added the drained crushed pineapple. I only like to use drained crushed pineapple for the upside down cakes. I think the thick rings are more difficult to eat and we don't like those cherries-haha



In the back are my Yellowstone water bottles, my hot cocoa mixes, and a hand burned cutting board-she designed it to be similiar to our lake here



    Tomorrow will be a very long day, so instead of working outdoors today I am going to relax with watching football. 

    Since 1967 when I was in college the Green Bay Packers were my team to follow. As I moved around to different areas of the country through my lifetime, I would also follow the local football team.  I did stop watching most sports with their disgraceful kneeling to our great flag for a few years now. Go protest elsewhere not while you are being paid to play is my opinion still. I worked for the phone company and would have been fired for such behavior  Ok enough of that---My hometown team now since moving to Missouri is the Kansas City Chiefs-I love their coach and Mahomes is the next one to watch-he is a very exciting quarterback to watch play the game.  To avoid all those commercials-I record the games and then buzz over the commercials-more enjoyable to watch for me.

Enjoy your Sunday and new week 


"update"  the cupcakes turned out pretty good. The  need to be totally cool before taking off the papers though. I tried one warm and the bottom goodies stuck to the paper-once cool the were fine. Next time I would add more crushed pineapple on the bottom-but the edition of the pineapple extract into the batter was a nice touch.

Looking at the weather for this upcoming week-Tuesday and Wednesday we will be in the low 20's F for evenings, so that will be a hard freeze for sure. Our first freeze here

30 comments:

  1. Hubby and i totally agree with the kneeling at the sporting events.. Put us off watching them too.. Now we just tune in later to avoid it all.. Lovely post Kathy! We are gearing up for some RAIN!! Fingers crossed.. Nice that you enjoyed your company for Larry's Bday!! I'm pretty sure your a great cook my friend! I can smell it from here!! lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am recording the games this year-can buzz through the commercials too. hoping you get the rain-not ready for the 20's yet I feel so behind on garden work outdoors.
      thank you for the lovely birthday card-I loved it-hugs

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful birthday party Larry had. Of course, your friends would all want to be there. Who wouldn't with all those wonderful foods you prepared? We love pineapple upside down cakes, so I'll give the cupcakes a try, for sure. Freezing temperatures are knocking on our door too. We still have a few jobs to do before we are ready for winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice time, as we don't see too many people any more. I did like the cupcakes. I am so behind on the outdoor work tomorrow is the long drive to the cardiac visit-100 miles each way yikes

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Larry! Those cupcakes look so good and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were able to meet up with friends, and your food must have tasted great! You are always so hard working. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to Larry. I left an earlier message, but it got lost. So glad this was a great birthday and so well attended. Lovely baked beans and surprisingly great looking cupcakes.

    Sorry I have missed so much having been offline due to jury duty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you these cupcakes were pretty good, no worries I am behind visiting as well hugs

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had a great party for Larry. And I love the idea of pineapple upside cupcakes. I hope you show them when you get them inlined. Pineapple upside cake is a favorite, yummmy! Happy new week Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you it was a fun day-Larry couldn't get over how much food some of the guys ate-4 brats each-haha I do like these cupcakes but not sure I would make them again-I will share a photo next post. one recipe called for two cans of the pineapple for all the cupcakes-that would have given a little more too for each cupcake.

      Delete
  7. Hope Larry had a wonderful birthday. Sounds like a wonderful celebration . Have a super week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Larry's birthday went well. Homemade baked beans are always a hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much I agree homemade baked beans are the best

      Delete
  9. I see you like it spicy since you have a jar of jalapeno.
    They say that they help prevent coronary heart disease, and it contains a natural compound, capsaicin, which acts as a vasodilator, improving blood flow and oxygenation of organ tissues. Thus, it helps keep the heart healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my husband likes spicy so these were mostly for him-however with this genetics playing their part hasn't stopped his cardiac disease by eating spicy foods-sigh

      Delete
  10. I'm not big on the beans but the brats sound great -- and cupcakes too? Sounds like a great feast for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never made pineapple upside down cake but I love it! The cupcakes look wonderful. A very happy birthday to Larry! Have a great week.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually make the upside down cakes in a cast iron pan or I have a large deep glass dish too that works. these cupcakes were pretty good. thank you and happy new week

      Delete
  12. Oh how wonderful - is there anything left, especially the delicious cupcakes??? I bring coffee :-)))) That will be fine!
    Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are a few cupcakes left over always fresh coffee available-hugs

      Delete
  13. Late happy birthday to Larry. Looks like you made a great meal and cup cakes. Baked beans yummy. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you had a lovely feast. The brats sound delicious, but I also would have passed on the buns. The beans look great - that probably would have been mu favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat much in breads anymore, so I ate a brat plain with the beans-the beans were really good

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit