Monday, October 24, 2022

Good Morning Monday-a Little Catch Up

   Good morning Friends,

I am a bit sore but I did manage to get the main things accomplished I wanted to over our 3 day 80's F long weekend-that was wonderful to be outdoors and with no humidity. Although the humidity has moved in today as any time now we have lots of rain coming in over two days. We do need the rain but not so much at one time. The rivers here in this area will be over their banks for sure.

  Larry also finally got help to get the roof on the rest of his dock. We had two people working on it Early in the day the lake was pretty quiet.

 
         Looks like a dock now-it's almost finished finally


I was able to clean up the perennial garden area. I have zinnia and marigold seeds drying now indoors. I wanted to get the flower heads in before the heavy frost last week

   I started to trim back the butterfly bush and decided I better look that up first-glad I did as I am not suppose to trim it back. smiles  I did cut off all the flower stems. I left a few plants that were still blooming as I wasn't sure which were annuals or perennials. I laid out allot of mulch around the plants too We have had two hard freezes in the 20's last week but the lemongrass still looks fine-however around here the lemongrass is an annual plant. I did dry a pretty big bag full for teas I also planted a big bag of large yellow daffodils in this area.


   My other project was to dig up all the grass and weeds that I had killed off and then added in the garden soil-5 large bags I will need to add more next spring. This area has been used by too many people parking here and I wanted to stop that.     Sooo the top area was hard as cement and full of rocks. So difficult to get through. I decided to save time and just skim off all the dead plants-lay them back on top of the ground and then add the soil on top-this should break down and hopefully loosen things up a bit over winter. I will put ground cover plants in here next spring and I am thinking of planting annual seeds like cosmos etc.
   I didn't get to the edging work though-I need rain first for that to loosen up things. so perhaps end of the week or next weekend I can tackle that project before winter.


  Our property line is just past that new sewer system down by the lake (a round plastic green cover on ground) and just in front of the row of trees on the left facing the little road we made down to the lake. So part of this area I worked on is the neighbors-just the top little corner. They gave me permission to do what ever-and will save them needing to weedeat that space.



 A glorious sunrise for my birthday today. sorry these are not in order; the sky was dark and then more and more reds came in, and then greys, purples and pinks-the yellows is the sun behind the clouds.











  We have been enjoying some really beautiful sunrises this month-above photos all taken early this morning.

    I am not making a special birthday dinner today, but I did make up some awesome baby back ribs to enjoy over the weekend. This afternoon I will bake us up a from scratch lemon meringue pie-one of our favorite pies.  Actually I am doing something with our leftover hamburgers that I had grilled on Friday for our main meal at 2 pm So a simple meal for today-I  sautee'd  mushrooms, sweet pepper, poblano peppers and sweet onion-heated up the hamburgers on top of the hot sautee'd veggies. 

Update on this: It is raining pretty good now, so thought perhaps not good to make the meringue on a rainy day-so I looked that up-yep says don't bake this pie on a rainy day, as the meringue will turn out sticky.  Bummer as all the ingredients were at room temperature. Will bake after the rains have moved on.

    I have been enjoying little surprises in my mailbox last week. I also received a couple happy birthdays through email  The small card in the middle is from a friend in Colorado, it's her photo of the aspens beginning to change-she knows I loved Colorado back in the late '70s when I lived there. At peak color the aspen yellows are a lovely bright yellow.  In the front is the too awesome stamped card from Elizabeth along with a couple napkins for me to craft with.

   Thank you all so very much, nice to be remembered-hugs


Happy new week everyone


29 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!
    🥳💐🎂

    That is a lot of work! Glad your temperatures were warmer. Enjoy the rain. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I really enjoyed the warmer weather , raining most of the day-we needed it hugs

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Kathy. It has been a while since I stopped by to say hello. Enjoy your meringue pie when you get around to making it. It sounds delicious along with the ribs and the sauteed veggie topped burgers.
    The Sunrises are stunning and it looks like you have accomplished a lot in your yard before the start of winter.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, so glad you dropped by. I haven't been on T lately as It is too much right now to visit everyone that is linked up-so I do try to visit friends during the week. The foods were really good-the sunrises this month have been amazing-hugs

      Delete
  3. I am so behind a very happy birthday to you. Lemon Meringue sounds wonderful. You have been very busy, and your sunrises are amazing.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy, the lemons have been expensive all summer, but I found some nice ones last time I went shopping-a nice treat for later in the week-hugs

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday to you Kathy. You had a glorious sunrise for your special day. What a great way to start off the day. Too bad you didn't make your pie, but you can always make it tomorrow. No one says you have to celebrate on your birthday only. Hope it was a good day other than the rain. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erika, yes we have has some amazing sunrises here this month-really spectacular-and yes a wonderful way to start the day. I will make the pie once the rain clears-suppose to rain all night and all day tomorrow as well-so allot of rain coming down here. I agree we c an celebrate for days-haha that's why I made the ribs so we would have them all weekend Hugs Kathy

      Delete
  5. I have been remembering your birthday today. Those early morning sunrise skies had to be the best ever, no doubt, just for your birthday pleasure. Wow! We have been waiting on rain most of the day, and finally it is here. It wasn't a bad day for working outside, so I finally got another bed cleaned up. You have accomplished much these last few days. I am impressed with how well your plantings have done this year. Happy Birthday to you, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, the rain was to be here around 11 am but it arrived early afternoon, it is a nice "gardeners" rain which we needed so it could soak in. for as bad as the ground was in this perennial area I was very pleased how most grew. some things never came up though like the parsley and dill for the butterflies-this will need more bags of good soil added to it next spring. congrats on being able to work outdoors today-I woke up soooo stiff and sore don't think I could have done much today.
      the sunrise was amazing this morning-very special thank you
      -hugs

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday, Kathy :-)) Looks like that life has been busy and fun at your side! Sunrise shots are so very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all: Happy belated Birthday wishes! To another great, productive, healthy, creative, happy, fun year!!!!

    Wow you do so much on your property, I get exhausted just reading this!
    Beautiful pics of your lake again, awww - still pitch dark here 06:03 a.m., I ll start a bit later with work today ;-)

    Your meal sounds yummy!
    No such pie on rainy days? Let me knock on wood (we have wooden floors) - do they really...?

    I wish you happy after-Birthday-Day from here! Hugs (I didn´t know... well, you know...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Iris, that was a surprise that Elizabeth shared it was my birthday on the 24th. we are really dark later in the morning here too-winter's coming. Yes the rain makes the air more humid so the meringue on top of the pie won't be nice-will get all sticky and not nice. hugs

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday, dear Kathy. Have a great new year, health and happiness! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday my friend! I think of you often. Your sunrise birthday present is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday dear Kathy! It sounds like you've been so busy and what wonderful progress you've made on your gardens and the dock - fabulous 😊. What do you use the dried zinia flowers for, is it your soaps or maybe as a dye? The sunrises are so amazing, it's such a lovely view over the lake! Enjoy your birthday celebrations! Big hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Jo thank you so much for the bday wishes. I will break open the flowers and save the seeds for next year. I have dyed yarn with fresh marigold flowers in the past-will get a light yellow from it. the sunrises have been awesome here this month-hugs and thank you for the visit

      Delete
  11. Many happy birthday wishes.

    The sunrise photographs are lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I add my Happy Birthday wishes to the others! It sounds like it will be very nice indeed, even if you have to wait till the rain stops to bake the pie (which, I might add, sounds wonderful, as do the ribs!). You guys have been seriously busy and boy, all that work shows. Well done, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you had a lovely Birthday Kathy. Except for missing out on the pie it sounds like you did.. The Butterfly Bush will probably die back to the ground with your cold temps. Thats what i'm thinking anyway.. But they are really good at coming back.. The plants you killed were they weeds? If so it might not have been a good idea to leave the dead plants and put the soil on top as there might have been seeds on the plants and you could end up with a weedy mess come next year.. Lets hope not. I hope i get to 'mess' with my yard soon.. Keep waiting for hubby to measure for guttering.. Too much longer and i'm going to do it myself...lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks about the butterfly bush, never grew one before-we'll see what happens-didn't think about all the weed seeds-that was grass and weeds-too lake now, I will just kill it off again this spring if it comes back.
      gutters would be good-but a two person job I think-hugs

      Delete
  14. i am extremely late visiting and wishing you a belated birthday , but you know I remembered, at least. I am amazed at all the work you have done in the garden and yard. You are amazing.

    Looks like you have received several nice cards for your birthday. Such sweet and lovely remembrances for a sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are Never late to my blog dear Elizabeth-hugs just happy for your visits.
      I really pushed myself over those nice days, still have a few more things-like washing the windows-so full of cobwebs too. we still have pretty nice weather here and looks a little warmer again next week too.
      I did receive a few lovely cards for my birthday-nice to be remembered. Hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit