Saturday, December 19, 2020

Movie and Chex Mix

   Happy Saturday everyone,

     I am a bit later for posting today, as I went grocery shopping very early morning soon after they opened (less people that way) and after bringing everything indoors and getting it where it belongs-I decided to rake up more leaves and burn.

   After being in the 20's and low 30's f most of last week, today was a treat with warmer weather and full sunshine. Along the driveway nearest to the upper level where I park my car-the wind brings down allot of leaves along that area. I bagged up one bag at a time and burned it and then got more-ended up doing 4 huge leaf bags. That area is half finished now. We are to have a few more days like this so hoping to finish as long as no wind.

  I wanted to share my favorite vintage Christmas Movie-a must see for me every year.  I probably shared it last year too.  I never got into It's a Wonderful Life like most do. I haven't seen that one in probably 40 years or more I probably should give it another watch one day.

                                            White Christmas

  
I probably enjoy White Christmas so much, because my parents when we were growing up enjoyed musical movies. My Mom also took us into Chicago to see these shows on Broadway.-wow that was a Veryyy long time ago lol Good memories though-she always got us front row seats in the first balcony.

  Do you make Chex mix for the holidays into the New Year?  I don't make it every year, I tend to eat too much at once -cause it is so good-and then regret it later. 😐 It also can have allot of added salt in it. I never add the flavored salt they suggest.

   I had been thinking about making up a big batch, and then a comment came in on my last blog post and that did it-Yes I want to make some. I choose gluten free cheerios, rice and corn cereals and will add gluten free cheese crackers and pretzels. I will leave out the nuts this year. My stomach is Not liking nuts right now.  I was glad I had the Worcestershire sauce in the frig. as the store did not have one bottle of it on the shelves this morning.

   This unknown commenter must have been searching online for the original Chex mix recipe and my 2011 post popped up.  This is a very informative post about the history of Chex mix and the recipes.

"Wanted to thank you for your old post on the history of Chex Party Mix. I remember my Mom making it way back in the 50's and it had Kix corn cereal (There were no corn chex back then.) in it. Friends said I was NUTS - now I know one of the original recipes DID have Kix in it! You should repost that to this site for posterity. The information is hard to find!"


    Do you remember the Kix corn cereal? I do and am wondering now if it is still available to purchase. I didn't see it where I shopped today.

     I also did another post that I shared a gluten free version  I was going to save these two posts for Second on the 2nd come January but decided to share now in case you are looking for recipes.



   Happy Saturday and weekend everyone


11 comments:

  1. Sounds like busy weekend, enjoy your food. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember Kix cereal. For sure can't get it her. I haven't had homemade chex mix in a very long time. My ex-mother-in-law used to make a HUGE batch in a trash bag every year for Christmas and then would put it in tins and give it as gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. White Christmas is a tradition in our home, we watch it on Christmas eve every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like White Christmas but not It's a Wonderful Life. It's good to know someone who agrees with me on that :) . Mother used to make that Chex mix, but I don't like the flavorings. I could eat all that Chex cereal as a snack right out of the box, though. I never liked Kix, but it's still available. I see Amazon has it, and Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know that Kix is still around
      I never was crazy about It's a Wonderful Life I always got bored with it when ever I tried to watch the whole movie.
      I do not add the extra salt that they call for-never used that in my kitchen. and I use a less salt worchest. sauce too. so doing that it cuts down on all that extra salt. I have in the past used totally different spices-a flavorful herb mix of one's liking works out good. I like the butter flavor but I have also made it with a good quality olive oil too
      My little wal mart didn't have the Kix but will check online-thanks

      Delete
  5. I'm not really a big Chex mix fan, but do I love White Christmas. I watched it last weekend. I think it is one of my favorite holiday films too. I was never a Kix cereal fan either. Make my movie snack popcorn. No butter (too greasy). Hope it was a super weekend and happy new week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, we love popcorn and a movie too. the chex mix I don't make every year I get a taste for it once in awhile.
      Happy new week for you too

      Delete
  6. "White Christmas" fan here. The Life film is nice, but not as upbeat as WC film. The new fad of holiday movies is a real treat. So far, only one I've watched is over the top corny. The rest have been engaging, mostly, I feel, due to good actors saving a tired story line...that I don't tire of for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I am enjoying most of the Hallmark movies this year-they are a little different and very heart warming. a couple were too corny and I just didn't finish those. Happy Monday

      Delete
  7. I bet your friend was thrilled with her quilt,such a wonderful present! I do like that little teapot! It looks quite sturdy. Much as I like fine china tableware I much prefer a sturdy teapot that pours well and holds the heat. Fabulous having those eagles nearby and being able to watch their comings and goings. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda yes my friend was quite surprised. This is a very sturdy little tea pot-its not a fine china piece.
      Yes we are getting spoiled watching this pair of eagles Merry Christmas

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit