Sunday, May 17, 2020

Another Flower Page for AJJ

   Happy Sunday everyone,
  The weather here has been well not good for those of us with allergies. The air is very heavy with humidity which holds all the pollen we have now. It's been raining but not severe and not as much as predicted, but the lake water has been rising. It is usually at full by Memorial Day-influenced with the rain amounts and  how much water is let out at Bagnell Dam.
   So we are in need of getting back to outdoor projects but not today. The coming week is suppose be sunshine and warm. So I am hoping to be back on painting the outdoor furniture. We ended up ordering the paint I need online as no one here locally has it. That should come in this week.

  Our electricity went out early this morning. The problem when that happens to us now is everything is fiber-the phone and the internet-so everything goes down. Even the cell phone is set to work off the wifi to save minutes. So I had to drive out of the area to call. I could tell this whole side of the lake was down. They had it back up and running in a couple hours.
  I miss my big gas stove in these situations because I could still cook and bake-as this was a commercial and old stove that didn't use electric to turn on the gas-why they did that I don't know.

  Anyways, I headed to my craft room. I wanted to try doing something for Mia's theme Flowers over at AJJ  with colored pencils. Last year when Crayola's site had awesome sales I bought a few things including a couple different types of their colored pencils. I also had picked up a package at Yellowstone that were colored pencils but had no wood in them.
  I tried these and another set I had to see if they would work with water. I hadn't known about watercolor pencils at the time.  The one set did work a little bit.
 
   I also grabbed a couple stamps and colored them in.
When I went to add the piece to my smaller journal I forgot to cut it to size so it was too wide-sigh-so I added it to my painting journal.
  I grabbed my big vintage box of old crayons to run the page over with a crayon-and wow I totally forgot that one side was full of colored pencils that I had picked up cheap at garage sales. I went through them all and found a handful of them marked watercolor-so I am anxious to try these and see how they work. I think I may like these. What a very fun find!!


When I was watching those free art videos last month, on a mixed media video, the artist was showing these water brushes-you fill them up with water and then use them over your watercolor pencils-I thought this was really cool-she used these on her trips. I found a package with several different shapes of brushes.


On the left my colored pencil find-awesome


and this is the handful that were marked watercolor


This was my inspiration page.  I always thought it was not good to copy or use a photo for inspiration.Another  one of the artist's videos I watched who is a professional painter in Canada advised to have a reference-to train your mind to see more, as your brain was too repetitious  So I don't feel guilty now using a reference


The stamps I used was the bird, the spider, and the little bunch of flowers. The rest of the page and the daffodils are with the pencils

All photos will enlarge just click on them





I will be adding this to Art Journal Journey for Mia's theme Flowers

Happy Sunday

21 comments:

  1. I love watercolor pencils and the waterbrushes. I keep those in a tote that I take along if I’m going somewhere. I’ve sometimes used the waterbrushes with pan paints too. Your page is so sweet with the flowers and the little bird. Not so much the spider 😱😺 Sorry that you lost electricity but good that you weren’t out so long. And hayfever season has been brutal this year. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve used those watercolor pencils and am intrigued by them. I’m generally not good with watercolor, so it’s been awhile. I’ll try again! Vern nice result on your daffodils, cute page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Laurie, this was a fun painting day. I like these watercolor pencils-just painted a piece from a photo and not too bad for someone that is not a painter (smiles)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those crayons and colored pencils and the colors are fantastic Kathy. And you created a wonderful spring page. Many of my daffodils are blooming now so I enjoyed today's art. Thanks for joining us at Art Journal Journey. Sorry to hear you also lost power. Hope your allergies aren't too bad this upcoming week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found a plethora of wonderful pencils and crayons, Kathy. And having those watercolor crayons is a great find. I love using mine, too. Sometimes I color, then add water and sometimes I add water to the pencil. It all depends on how large the area is I need to color. You have created a wonderful entry for Mia's theme at Art Journal Journey, too, dear.

    As for losing your power, I can feel your pain. Since I don't have a cell phone, I had no way to call our electric company, but I know someone did because the entire area was out the last time this happened in my area (not just my side of the block for a change).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these watercolor pencils will be fun to explore thanks much

      Delete
  6. I bought watercolor pencils some time back but then forgot that's what they were and mixed them with regular ones and not sure where they are or which is which. :/ Nothing wrong with using photo inspiration since you can always put your own spin on it. I'm not a fan when people are encouraged to copy artwork. Doesn't seem very creative. Much better to stretch your own imagination and play around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely page - full of great details. That bird is super cute and your flowers are lovely. Fun to see all your coloring materials!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ι am so glad you found these pencils, Kathy. They will be useful on your beautiful creation. And of course you may use references, they will help you improve your ideas! As for the gas stove, I perfectly understand how great is that you can still cook without electricity. So I see why you miss this stove.
    As for your page, it is BEAUTIFUl! I LOVE these yellow daffodils! Thank you so much for joining me again at AJJ, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia, yes these pencils were a very fun find-I look forward to working with them more-hugs

      Delete
  9. I love your art. You are learning so much-so fast! I also love your enthusiasm (spelling?) for the colors and so on that you're using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debra, I am finally so much less stressed out and actually enjoy playing in my craft room again

      Delete
  10. I remember Mother's old gas stove. I remember when I learned how to light it with a match. Much more fun than the electric stoves I've had since. I love using colored pencils. Your daffodils are quite the day brightener :) I hope your getting the sunshine there that we are getting here. It's nice after the dreary rainy gray days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stove was a 10 burner commercial Wolf with two ovens-one small one large-I really miss it allot-especially for my canning set up-lots of space. There just is no room here.
      we figured when we got the woods house sold we would look for a gas stove for me-there is only room for a 30 inch. I am getting along with this electric stove ok it does bake well but I prefer cooking over fire.
      we still don't have the sun today-it's trying hard though, and it is sprinkling off and on-but the weather people all say temps in the 80s is coming and sunshine. looking forward to it.
      I like these pencils so far allot

      Delete
  11. Wondeerful Art page Kathy !! Love your yellow flowers, daffodils, and the so cute bird and this spider uuuhhh. Your crayons are very good. I also use them often.
    I wish you a very great new week, stay safe and
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon Caty, thank you much. I like this page more now-very spring and I enjoyed learning to use the watercolor pencils, and used some stamps too-hugs

      Delete
  12. Its a beautiful springtime page Kathy, I live the lemon shades you used for the flowers. i also liked seeing your collection of pens, crayons and pencils. Thank you for linking to Mia's theme at Art Journal Journey.
    Stay safe.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your daffodils are lovely. The bird stamp is adorable. Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit