Tuesday, May 5, 2020

All About Root Beer and Root Beer Floats

  I hadn't realized at all that some of you living in other countries were not familiar with root beer and/or root beer floats.

  Root beer is actually steeped in history from pre colonial times here in America.
Originally made from from the roots of the sassafras roots and depending on the region with other herbs.
   "Root beer is a sweet North American beverage traditionally made using the root bark of the sassafras tree Sassafras albidum or the vine of Smilax ornata as the primary flavor. Root beer is typically but not exclusively non-alcoholic, caffeine-free, sweet, and carbonated."

  I found this link full of information on the history of root beer.

                    Root beer - Wikipedia


Of course there are many brands to choose from now. I grew up on A&W root beer-and I still prefer this brand but their sugar free and caffeine free root beer. (many now have caffeine added)

Root beer floats

   Where did root beer floats come from??
( I make mine with vanilla ice cream and root beer-add a straw and a spoon. some add other flavorings or whipped cream on top, some add alcohol.)

      "Also known as the “Black Cow,” the root beer float got its start in Colorado in a mining camp. Frank J. Wisner of Cripple Creek, Colorado, gets the credit for inventing the “Black Cow” way back in August of 1893.Aug 6, 2019"




Baker's IGA - Recipe: Root Beer Float (aka Black Cow)
  
A&W Root Beer Float Recipe With Chocolate+ 10 Ways For Families To ...


Linda mentioned root beer popsicles-I have never had one but found a photo

Root Beer Float Popsicles Recipe - Food Fanatic

18 comments:

  1. Definitely had rootbeer floats in my younger years. Now, I prefer no root, no float, just a beer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just mentioned A & W in a comment on your Tea post. I do like their root beer but it never tastes like it did when I drank from that frosty heavy glass mug at the drive in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know-I grew up with those too-remember the different sizes of mugs? good memories

      Delete
  3. Floats are a fun idea. I love the taste of root beer but I'm not big on drinking pop. I do however, have sassafras in my body soap that a friend made. Love the root beer pops. Oh my gosh. I LOVE this idea. Reminds me of an orange and vanilla pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't drink pop either-this time of year though for a treat I enjoy the root beer floats-takes me down memory lane haha the popsicles do sound fun too

      Delete
    2. I drink pop every now and then but I'm not a big, big fan. It fills my belly too much. But I do love the taste of root beer, that flavour is so fun and mix it with vanilla and it just pops!

      Delete
    3. Same happens to me as well-too filling in the belly-

      Delete
  4. My favorite when I was a kid. Looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a rootbeer gal but I loved reading about it. I didn't realize that rootbeer is such an American drink. I do remember having a root beer popsicle. Wasn't my favorite but the photo did bring the moment back to me. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love root beer and root beer floats! We had a drive up restaurant near our house called, Stewarts Root Beer- which was basically hot dogs, burgers, fries etc. You would drive in and get served in your car!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tasted root beer once ;) but my hubby loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved those A&W floats as a kid. We had a store pop up a few years back in our town, but they were not the same as they didn't have the mugs any longer. I love root beer - fun post.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit