Thursday, August 17, 2023

This & That

 Good Morning Friends,

   Thought I would pop in with a post. I have been spending online time mostly at Instagram where I can buzz through photos of my interests, and they have a nice chat there-messages-where I converse with a new Missouri friend. We hope to meet up in the fall. She lives aways from me perhaps an hour or so-it was her suggestion to meet up so I think that will be fun We are close in age, she has been taking care of her farm while her husband is now in a care facility-no fun getting older for sure.

   We have had soooo much humidity and rain here that I have been stuck in the house for that reason now. My grass is so tall here too and is heavy with dew in the mornings-ugh I will try to tackle that this morning.  Starting this weekend and all of next we will be back in high 90's F again.

  I am still spinning. I started spinning a new to me breed that was a gift from an Etsy seller-I am in love with this one-spins easy for me. The breed is Teeswater more information about the breed here  This is more coarse, long fibers but is still soft-weird I know. Another nice link here with photos The fibers I am spinning came from England


  Sad news a close friend of ours stopped by to let us know her grandson 17 years old with an air force career ahead of him (he scored 7th highest in the nation on their test) committed suicide over a girlfriend. I still can not wrap my head around this. Such a tragedy. Still praying for the family

  I also went through my bags of fiber stash-many of these I bought around 2017, I had washed all of it before we moved to the lake. I had a couple bags I bought off of ebay from a young 4H person and was very unhappy with it-she didn't shear the wool properly so is just a mess-I decided to toss it-my time now is too valuable.  I also ran into a very large bag of Navajo churro-a very rare breed. This is at least 45 years old-crazy I know but I have always stored my fibers well.  This needs to be hand carded. Have not done this is awhile so looked for a video-this is the best one I have seen. Video here  This wool has always made me happy-Larry had friends back then that lived in New Mexico and they had a flock of these sheep. When they were sheared they didn't know what to do with so sent it all to me. It was quite the job sorting out the wool. I have bags of nice wool and other bags marked coarse. This wool was used by the Navajo for saddle blankets and other outer wear.  more about this breed here



the rolags I made last night watching Gordon Ramsey's shows on food network

                                     

Those above two photos are not cooperating where I want to place them oh well

  I have done a little baking-a peach upside down cake that was sooo delicious. I made it with frozen peaches I had bought at the Amish store. I made us meatballs and spaghetti, and a few other dishes I haven't made in years. I prepare all of our meals so I was getting bored with the same meals, was trying different things.

   Well I am off to tackle the sooo high grass. 




23 comments:

  1. You surely have been busy!! you should show some of your work.
    I hope you do get to meet your new friend
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Cathy, I did update and took photos of the big bag of Navajo churro and the few rolags I made for spinning this will be a very long process-good job for when watching tv at night

      Delete
  2. Hope the grass goes well Kathy uuughh for sure.. No rain is a blessing and a curse.. It means i can keep on top of the yard without killing myself... but it also means the dirt is like powder no grass and only the hardiest of weeds are still growing.. I finally had to put some water on my Sunflowers.. Some out front that are not easily watered i chopped down. The ones in back .. i saw a Goldfinch eating seeds there yesterday and a group of about 5 dove have moved in eating the seeds on the ground.. tons of bees of all shapes and sizes.. even the big fuzzy ones bumblebees.. We've had a couple coolish mornings this week i have thoroughly enjoyed.Hubs is off playing golf... no thanks...lol too hot.. I'll be staining on those honeycomb paint holders... just a couple to go.. I'm glad your so enjoying your spinning.. and getting to go through your stash.. even thinning it down.. Your food sounds yummy as always.. We have been eating out waaay too much at least it does help avoid heating the house up.. I'm sorry to hear about your friends grandson... just terrible.. heartfelt condolences to you Kathy and too your friend..Take care Kathy.. Love your blog posts... look forward to them.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Deb this has been a very very hot and dry summer for the most part the last couple weeks too much rain and some areas really bad storms with damage-we are safe here. sorry you needed cut down your sunflowers-I didn't grow any this year when it got so hot most of the work stopped outdoors-sigh gradually trying to get back to it-the grass is so thick in an hour I used up 3 batteries for the weed eater. but my back needed a break-not used to do this for a couple months now.
      thank you for the condolences my brain does not understand this at all
      hugs back Deb

      Delete
  3. Hi Kathy, nice to catch up on your news. Glad you have sound a new friend, 'real' ones are great, hope you can meet up soon! So sorry that that boy killed himself, what a tragedy, my condolences to his family, they must be shattered.. Love the photo of the sheep. Here life goes on as always, nothing exciting, but today I went out for lunch with my friend Heike, that was great. Take care, dear Kathy! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Valerie, I just do not understand this tragedy at all he had a life ahead of him
      I am happy you are able to get out for lunch with your friend Heike-nice way to get out of the house too take care hugs

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about the grandson of your close friend. The family must be devastated. Hope they would find the peace...it's just so sad to know a young life ended his life this way... have fun tackling the grass, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Angie yes family and friends are shocked and devastated just so sad and tragic. yep the grass is a huge job for sure especially being so high now

      Delete
  5. Always exciting (and "dangerous" to meet up with "online-people" - twice I had bad luck, other it was always great!
    Care facility sounds sad and scary (and expensive).
    One singer I admired very much, Udo Jürgens, at 80 went on on a stroll, collapsed and that was it. My plan. But good (?) we cannot plan this...

    Yes, too much rain here, also... Crazy weather.

    Those animals look "funny"! I wonder how much weight they carry here...
    My Brother once said if it wasn´t for my help he´d ... same as your friend´s Grandson. Now he´s married (no idea if happily really) and a Dad of two.

    I hope the girl can live with that, it must be awful.

    45 years old, wow! Just what will you do with all the wool?

    To cooking and baking - I was too tired for that. Today Ingo just warmed up a bean soup from the store.
    Have "fun" with the grass - hugs to that, you and the lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thought did cross my mind that this could be dangerous but we have chatted for awhile now. and we are meeting in a public place-neither of us knows where the other lives. she seems to do allot of driving but she lives rural too like us-so cities are far away for somethings.
      having fun with the grass-not haha

      Delete
  6. We had baked spinach and cheese ravioli tonight. Interesting about the different sheep. Have fun meeting up with your new friend. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that sounds delicious Sheep breeds are so different I never thought that until I started spinning different ones. thank you I look forward to meeting up

      Delete
  7. There are so many breeds of sheep that I am not familiar with, and those photos of the 2 you shared are pretty interesting to look at. And sorry to hear about your friend's grandson. It's really really sad and mental health really is a big issue. I don't know how you do that, but somebody someplace must. I hope it cools off for you soon. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really amazes how very different the sheep breeds are-I enjoy exploring different ones. I agree something just doesn't sound right to me-seems like his mental health was missed somehow Yep we are headed back to super hot again I will be anxious to see fall arrive this year

      Delete
  8. Love the photos of the sheep! Well done on the sorting through the fiber and all. I need to do that. What I really need to do is get back to my needlefelting before my November sale.

    I'm so sorry about your friend's grandson. That is truly tragic and yes, so hard to wrap one's brain around. But good news on your upcoming visit to your friend. That sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much I am looking forward to meeting up

      Delete
    2. oh and I have enjoyed making needle felted pictures in the past I should make one again

      Delete
  9. Prayers and sympathy for the loss of a beautiful young man

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I am late visiting. Story of my life, I guess. I enjoyed reading about that sheep breed. I love the wool. Like dreadlocks.

    Sorry to read about the young man. There should have been signs, but people often are so self absorbed or busy, the signs are missed.

    Have fun meeting your new friend this fall. I have had great luck meeting people I met on the internet. I think it's because of the similar art interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking that too, there had to be signs but his Mom is a single parent and works two jobs but she was always taking the kids to the rivers and doing fun things-just so sad. I am looking forward to meeting my new friend too. Happy Sunday

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit