Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Pillows & Senior Hair Care

 Good morning friends,

   Hoping you are not included in this latest heat wave. I was hoping our last round was the end but mother nature says no.  My goal this week was to make headway with the tall grass cutting. I did get out two days at first light but the heat and humidity especially has increased and at 5 am being 80 degrees F with very high humidity already--well it is just not a good idea for this senior to be out there.

  Oops that was strange, I did something that erased half my post. 😀 

   This weekend we are to cool down into the 80's which is just in time for the big Shootout here on Lake in the Ozarks. All sizes of boats and race boats race for the best time in the different categories. This event raises allot of money for charities for the immediate area. This has gotten quite large just since we moved here a couple years ago, Our tv service has the Laketv  channel for the lake and will broadcast the race live-I watch to learn about all the boats I see on the lake and no crowds to deal with haha

  Do you have a difficult time finding the perfect pillow? 

       I grew up with feather pillows which I like because I can make a flat spot for my head and neck and I have always loved feather pillows the best. Mom would always send them off to the dry cleaners every few years for cleaning and adding more feathers. I doubt this service is available any more. Are there even dry cleaners any more?  I know not available rural where we have lived.  I have looked into buying me a new feather pillow-the price was quite shocking.

 So I needed to go through our pillows this month-my feather pillows are 50 years old for sure so I tossed those. I would throw them in the dryer on no heat several times a year.  I had picked up a couple different pillows over the years but most didn't work out or hold up well-so those got tossed. I saved two very flat ones, and one I sorta like. I went online as the only shopping near me that would have pillows would be Wal mart.  When I got those from online Wow they said queen size but these are the largest queens I have ever seen so of course the pillow cases I have don't fit.   I was so unhappy as these also do not squish down flatter as shown in the photos-so these are useless for sleeping on. One of them works ok on the couch when I lay down to read though.  I then bought two Serta queens at Wal mart that looked really nice, felt like they would flatten-nope. Also bought pillow covers and cases for these two sets of pillows. I have given up on pillows for now.

  Sharing photos is a challenge here on the little lap top as I can't unload the photos to this computer because the connection is too large for the lap top. I can still unload them to the desk top computer but I then can't see the colors to know what they look like to post, so when I do post them I see what they look like on the lap top-frustrating-just like the pillows haha 😀

  I will be 74 in October and this is the first year I feel like a person aging. The biggest challenge for me this year has been my hair thinning-way too much-and just breaking off. I have always had very thin long hair but never this issue of losing hair.  I went back on multiple vitamins and also picked up gummy vitamins for hair. Don't see any improvement  I looked into different supplements for hair loss but they are really very expensive and reading the reviews most don't work and they cause hair growth on other parts of our bodies not what I would want.  

  This morning I was browsing on Pinterest which I have not done in ages and ran into a recipe for my hair issue. I had some of the essential oils (from my soap making) but not most of the other ingredients so I went shopping online. A little expensive to purchase everything at once but much less expensive than those supplements per month that they are selling. Here is the recipe  

She calls it mermaid hair tonic  Sharing a photo from her site, she even included her label to download


  I am anxious to try it if nothing else it should add moisture to my hair as it is so dry all the time now. The ingredients are witch hazel w/ no alcohol, hemp seed oil or carrot seed oil, distilled water, and essential oils of lavender, rosemary, cedarwood, peppermint

  I have gone through the large cotton bag of the  north ronaldsay wool this week. I wanted to fluff it up and get rid of more of the dried grasses that was in it. This was raw wool when I bought it. I may have mentioned it in my last post, I  messed up by washing this before removing the top layer, if I would have done that it would have saved me allot of time. I did start carding this and spinning on the drop spindle. Finding out I need less wool on the carders to be able to draw it out and spin a finer yarn. This does still have the lanolin in it but not as much as the churro wool. Now that I have that figured out, I may see if I can spin this on my wheel or not-the wheel is fast so will see if I can keep up with it for this project. If not a good project for in front of the tv. The huge bag is a bit daunting, but I am determined to get through these wools that I have in my stash.  I need to get back to weaving soon and fix that threading mistake first-which I need a clear head for as I will have to cut it off the loom to do that and retie it back on-ugh

   The morning is slipping away on me already, I have been wanting to bake us chocolate chip cookies but it is a bit too hot for that this week. I think I will churn us up some ice cream. 

 Happy almost mid week

Update: my husband told me about usb splitters-I plug that into the one usb port on the lap top and that will give me 4 usb ports-perfect-I just need two one for the mouse and one for my camera-less stress with photos 

31 comments:

  1. GoodMorning Kathy!!!

    Well the heat is here too... it never left...uuughh... That Tropical Storm or Depression .. whatever is coming in the Texas coast but because of the Heat Dome over us it will skirt around us... bye bye moisture... sigh... Makes you wonder what its going to take to move that dome..(high pressure) off of us...? Pillows suck.... I haven't been able to find a good pillow for YEARS... I have had the same pillows for i can't remember how long... My issue is i do not like fluffy pillows... the kind you sink down into... I like a firm pillow... but even when it says Firm on the pkg It. is. not. firm... so frustrating.. I give up.. I'll probably have the same two pillows til the day i die..

    I hope you are able to fix your computer.. I miss your photos!!

    I have thin hair too especially on top... I think it gets worse every year... Could possibly be a hormone thing and not a vitamin deficiency... I use a leave in conditioner for my hair.. I used to use Alberto VO5 like my Grandmother.. worked beautifully and did not weigh my hair down.. cannot find it anymore... not even online.. So i switched to Aussie Hair Insurance... leave in cond. almost as good and it smells divine...lol Looking forward to hearing about the results of the recipe you found online.. Have a good week Kathy.. becareful in that heat... At least our heat is a dry heat without much humidity... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. high heat is still hot-we are opposite of pillow these new ones are toooo firm I need one sink in haha otherwise it hurts my neck. I am our cool down comes with no humidity too. I will look into what you suggested, I have thyroid issues, but since my thyroid stopped working years ago my medicine dose does not adjusting any more-I will ask or general doctor about it next month too. try to stay cool-hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a beautiful day here dry and 70 if we could have this year round I would love it. Good luck with the hair mine has been thinning for years.
    You have kept busy with the wool all summer now.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, I agree 70's year round would be perfect for us too. this has been an unreal very hot and humid summer-farmers almanac says this continues into september-hoping not. Yes stuck in the house this summer I am working with my wools

      Delete
  4. My hair is thinning too :-(( and I am quite sure it is a hormone thing for me too. I tried EVERYTHING, coconut oil, lavender essential oil, castor oil...nothing really helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a bummer I am going to try this recipe says to put on wet hair and massage into the scalp hoping it helps I did read elsewhere that coconut oil is good I like the combination of ingred. in this recipe-will report back if it helps or not

      Delete
  5. I have thin hair to start with and not a lot of it. And I have curls in some spots, waves in others and straight in still others. I've often thought of just shaving it off, but then I suppose people might think I am going through chemo, so I just keep it very short. I am leary of many of those products they sell or you can make anyhow. Especially if they make the person money because then who knows if they work. And for pillows, I like one that isn't too puffy either, but feather pillows were always a bit too flat for me. I have a very old pillow that I just love and I know it's not feathers in it but I don't know what is in it. Like your old feather pillows, I bet mine is close to 50 years old because I think I had it as a teenager. I hope it cools down for you soon. It's been a hot or wet and crazy summer, hasn't it? hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning, I probably should cut my hair shorter but I have never liked short hair on me I think allot of the hair products are scams, the vitamins didn't help either, but this recipe made more sense to me so am willing to giving it a go, even if it stops me losing more hair.
      i tossed my remaining feather pillows since they were so old and don't know a way to clean them. the prices of new ones are extremely high now.
      I am hoping we get the cool down this weekend too we need a break from it so we can get out of the house more happy mid week

      Delete
  6. I hope your weather cools down! I hope you find something to help with your hair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Debra, I am looking forward to making and trying this recipe happy mid week

      Delete
  7. Hi Kathy, my hair has got very thin in the past few years, and I have tried a lot of things - nothing worked. So I'm back to my old solution - wearing a hat or cap or whatever! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. So the loud event is at least good for something!
    I ended up with a "hard" pillow, but Ingo has feathers and each night I make the pillow floffy for him :-)

    I think we do have dry cleaners! (Not really sure).

    Hair! "orthomol hair intense" is what my pharmacy introduced me to..... and it WORKS!!!
    I do not get payed saying this. It takes some weeks but... it works, even Ingo saw it!
    Mine was always thin, also, and now much better!
    The link you provided sadly only sent me to an ad.

    To photos soon, hugs to you and the lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think large cities would have dry cleaners-for all those that wear suits etc. thanks for the tip for what helped your hair sorry the link didn't work hugs

      Delete
  9. Mother took vitamin e and regain some hair growth. Pillows never last well for me. Feathers are out for me due to allergies. The best one I've seen was a pillow stuffed with chopped spongy pieces of foam.
    There are pillows made with that as the center and a foam outer layer. Memory foam are okay, but are not very forgiving. Get a neck not just right on one of those, and it will be neck ache city the next day. I sleep on a layer of 3 pillows with the memory foam in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have allot of allergies too but they never bothered me-perhaps because I grew up with them. it is really difficult to find a decent pillow that doesn't hurt your neck they are always too firm for me. hadn't thought about looking for memory foam pillows may check into that

      Delete
  10. I love my feather pillows. Hubby does not. I grew up with them, so maybe that is the reason. My mom just took a few of mine and re filled them, so should last longer now. Not sure if the feather pillows in stores are like the ones from my grammas farm. She used the downy feathers which were softer Have fun watching the boat race!. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too I grew up with feather pillows too and always loved them. that is nice you can get yours re filled. mine were so old they really needed a good clean and a refill now that I think about it these were my pillows growing up at home so these are really old haha thanks I wouldn't go in the crowds to watch, but we can see them on the lake before the races and watch the event on tv

      Delete
  11. Kathy - you seem to be experiencing such a hot and humid summer. Praying you will soon see a change. Fall is just around the corner. Glad to read that hubby came through and you will be able to share your photos. My hairdresser and friend told me that as our hair grays (yes I have plenty) it becomes more dry and wire-like. I know mine has been showing this trait. Your moisture mixture sounds wonderful. Hope you will let me know how it works because my hair is dry too. Enjoy your show of lake...I am with you would rather watch it on tv without the crowd. Have a wonderful weekend friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, yes I think age does this too our hair, anxious to try out the herbal spray finally a cool down here with rain sooo good I hope that was the last of the heat wave for this summer. hugs

      Delete
  12. I wish you could send some of your heat my way, Maybe not all of it, but 10 or 15 degrees would be very welcome (we are at 65 this morning, high of 70 -- and rain.) On pillows-- I'm definitely a flat-pillow girl. I have some pillows we have had for years and they should be replaced (no one else sleeps with them, just me) but I've yet to find new ones that are small enough or scrunch enough to like it. So I pretty much haul mine wherever I go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. today is sunday-we finally have a real cool down with rain which started yesterday-so refreshing. so hared to find the perfect pillow for us-hugs

      Delete
  13. Dear Kathy,
    it's also unbearably hot here in eastern Austria. Up to 36 degrees Celsius (= 96.8 Fahrenheit) today... It's not supposed to really cool down until Tuesday.
    I have a similar problem with pillows like you have - it's difficult to find pillows that fit. Sometimes it helps if you take out parts of the filling and sew the cover back up.

    If you do something on the computer that deletes half of your post, for example, this trick might help you: Press the Ctrl and Z keys at the same time. (My husband THINKS it's Z - maybe it's a different letter on the American keyboard, you could test it...)

    I hope your mermaid hair tonic helps - beer, stinging nettles and coconut oil can also be of great help! - and I wish you lots of fun spinning.
    All the best from Austria - have a good time!
    Traude
    🌻🌺❤️🌺🌻
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/08/drei-einem-tag-viva-frida-kahlo.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning, thank you for all the tips and for dropping by for a visit hugs from the lake

      Delete
  14. I left a long comment yesterday, but when I did, instead of publishing, I hit something that deleted the comment. Frustration set in, so I decided to wait till I was less annoyed with myself before I tried another comment.

    Back in the 80s, one of the first major purchases for my bedroom were two feather pillows. Even back then, they were about $100.00 each. Even rotating them when I changed pillowcases, they soon started shedding. Feathers would work their way out the lining. I finally gave them away and experimented for years trying to find a pillow I liked. I bought a buckwheat pillow in 2002 and have used it ever since. It is cool, conforms to my head, and I take it with me everywhere. I have been known to pack it in my carry on luggage because I don't sleep well when I have to sleep with other pillows.

    We have several dry cleaners in Wichita, but I doubt they offer a feather pillow cleaning service. I was watching a show on PBS the other day and the guy said if we want to save our clothes, we should dry clean everything. Can you possibly imagine THAT bill each month?

    I've been seeing ads on tv about thinning hair after we turn 40. I have always had very thin hair, but I have lots of it. I have never had a problem, but I am super glad you found something that may work for you. I sincerely hope it works and I am delighted you shared the link to the formula.

    Now to publish this before it disappears again, and like part of your post did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning Elizabeth yeah it published-thanks for thetip for a buckwheat pillow I will look into that for sure. I can't see how dry cleaning all clothes is the answer to washing clothes-that's crazy they are many quaility soaps now that do not harm the enviroment
      I have always had very thin hair too but never lost hair till just recently. I have been taking a gummy hair vitamin with biotin for two months now and I think it just started working-my hair is finally not super dry. my herbal ingred are to arrive in todays mail-amazon has the post office delivering on sundays now-kinda crazy I think.
      Have a good week hugs

      Delete
  15. I hope your hot days will soon get cooler ... here in the UK it is beginning to get quite Autumnal.
    It's so nice when you can get good pillows, I always used to sleep with just one pillow but as I've got older I prefer two!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks or dropping by yes we finally have a few days break in the 80'sF does feel good. I like two flatter pillows stll looking for a flatter one

      Delete
  16. We have cooled down a bit in the Northeast too, but with no relief in humidity. So the house is still closed up. Living for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am soooo ready for fall too we got a nice break this week, less humidity and in the 80's but back to the 90's next week with humidity

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit