Thursday, August 10, 2023

Books by Victoria Fnlay

   A few posts back I shared the book:  Color by Finlay.  

This book was so well written-an adventure in a book describes it for me. This read like an adventure novel to me over a boring history book.

  I am thinking the author is a world traveler as she was on a mission it seemed to me, to travel where the colors were discovered in the world and their history.

   I highly recommend this book to any painter or dyer especially and anyone wanting to learn the history of colors. I learned so much about the first natural dye colors along with their politics and she also mentions the artists ages ago that used them.



  I also had bought her books: Fabrics and Jewels.

  Deciding which book I wanted to read next, I  discovered that the author also wrote another book on colors: The brilliant History of Color in Art  

   The descriptions of this book around the internet, sounded like some of the same information as her first book, so I wasn't sure I wanted to search for it. Looking around for reviews, I read a review that stated in her opinion,  this was an extension of the author's first book, and included many photographers of art-the reviewer highly recommended it so I ordered a used copy this week. I think reading her first book Colors would be best 


 Do you enjoy learning about the history of colors-in paint and/or dyes?

21 comments:

  1. I want to learn more about color theory and mixing colors. I am very nervous dyer
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, this would not be the book for color theory although it did mention what was combined back then to make certain colors

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathy, these books must be a treasure for those who mix their own colours and dyes. Have a great week, look after yourself, hugs, Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-the first book is mostly the history of the discovery of the different colors not a recipe type book

      Delete
  3. cColor is a wonderful subject and this one looks like a fascinating book! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book also. I haven't read fabric, but I did read Jewels. I like it, but not as much as Color. But perhaps it is just I love color more than I love jewels. :) Hope all is well Kathy, and thanks for sharing. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if I would like Jewels but I decided to get all of her books since she is such a good writer, I am looking forward to the Fabrics book but I think I will read the second color book when it comes in Happy Friday and weekend hugs

      Delete
  5. OOOOooo that first book of hers sounds interesting! I think i'd like that one! Hope all is well with you Kathy.. Rain storms have been flirting with us in the afternoon the last 2 days... we even drove through a storm! But no rain at the house... The heat dome has shifted South West of us and allowed this to happen... Lets hope the chances continue for a few days.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, hope you get the rain we ended up with quite allot not back to high 90's F again with high humidity the grass very tall here again ugh will try to get out there this weekend

      Delete

  6. Thank you Kathy!

    Ordered the title from Abebooks. The prices there are better than Amazon.
    Years ago I read a book about color theory. It is a fantastic book that my memory did not record. Understanding colors, to me, is a foundation that lifts up a lot of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will look up these books-thank you. I have a book called "Nature's Palette," by Patrick Baty. The photos are wonderful. I love reading about color. I hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will need to read about the history of colors. TFS Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. You bring me into trouble.
    I have two books on color here somewhere (I found in the street), but I have no patience.
    My watercolor comes with a plastic-"palette". Heck. I mix on the paper.
    It´s my Dad´s fault. Lack of patience I have from him.
    From the scientific POV it sure is interesting. But I am stuck with owls! Still.
    I need to retire. Win the lotto, find a rich man, something like that ;-)
    I want to learn how to get a real red color, though!
    Rainy hugs to you and the lake - my day off just drowns in ... hm, warms up - 71F already. Wish me luck it gets warmer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry you still have a colder summer that is no fun at all we are enjoying a cool down here though-finally I am off to watch some baseball on the tv Kansas City Royals

      Delete
  10. Kathy this sounds like a great book. Especially for artists who enjoy color. My mom remembered when the color purple was introduced as a young woman. It became my mom's favorite color to wear and I always shopped for her with purple in mind. Hope you are starting to see some relief from your heat. Happy 2nd week of August friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie I did enjoyed reading this book just got the other color book in todays mail looks good-set up allot different than the first one. Oh wow that is interesting remembering the first purple for women. yes cooler today still too much rain at the moment Happy August hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit