Thursday, June 9, 2022

Happy Thursday--A Catch Up and Watercolor Practice & Fish for AJJ

    Note: my AJJ entry for Fish is below

Yesterday morning very early our Wisconsin friends headed home. It is around an 8 hour drive for them.

    It was a good time for us, Rob visits with his wife a couple times a year, but we hadn't seen Rich since the last deer camp at the woods house. I really miss the fun and abundance of foods during deer camp. For us it was our Thanksgiving sharing friendship and good eats with friends.

   I didn't get any photos as I did everything in the kitchen while the guys fished. One day I made us reuben sandwiches that are always a big hit. I made  a creamy mustard potato salad to go with. Marie sent along one of her homemade cheesecakes for Larry-his favorite. The guys asked what to bring and I said a fresh watermelon and fruit would be wonderful, what ever snacks and drinks for you, and I only make breakfast and one main meal a day.

  Rich went over board-he always does-and brought lots and lots of fresh fruits, strawberries-cherries-plums-nectarines, pineapple-cantalope-large watermelon-Wow haha. I enjoyed the fruit as the two grocery stores nearest us have very poor fresh fruits-even the small wal mart has horrible fresh strawberries etc-so that was a real treat. They also brought cheeses, bags of deli sliced meats, huge box of bakery sweets and fresh baked bread-Larry loves those sweets-I don't keep them around because he can't resist-sigh.  and next week is our 6 month visit with blood tests. that will be interesting

  The next day I battered up crappie and catfish for a fish fry-I did allot of fish-everyone loved it-the new batter recipe I use now every one loves that tries it I had so much left over that I searched online if I could freeze it and one can. So I just need to heat up some in the oven. This is the recipe for the batter.    For the flour I use Bobs red mill 1-1 gluten free flour, for the corn flour I use his gluten free corn flour, and for the beer I use gluten free beer or seltzer water. I used seltzer water this time and the batter was perfect. The seltzer water is a better choice over club soda if you are watching salt intake.

  We have had more rain and storms, but thankfully a really bad storm last night missed us-so thankful as that one came with damages.

  Next week we jump into the 90's  we have really been enjoying the cool mornings this past week-drinking our coffee and watching the birds that come up on the deck.

  While doing laundry this morning decided to play with my watercolors and also the green watercolor ink from Winsor and Newton, and my own black walnut ink. 

 Fish is the theme for Art Journal Journey this month.

  This piece is for sure a practice piece-not totally happy with it, so have not added it to my journal yet. I didn't get the movement in the tree limbs I was going for, those fish are so so haha

  I used the fish stamp for inspiration and also this hand stamped scene for inspiration-which was in a stamping magazine.



 some of these fish look like little sharks instead of carp-lol oh well I did have fun using inks along with the watercolors


Looking at this piece now as a photo-I always seem to see my paintings better in a photo- not sure why that is--but I think I may go in and extend the leave branches on the tree limbs-that may help 


What do ya think?? much better I am thinking Question though-is this too balanced?



  I took Christine's suggestion of darkening the water. That was a good idea. I added some darker blues, but since the tree and grasses were already painted, hard to fix those areas-but a little better for the fish  


Friday morning I decided to add my watercolor piece to my journal. I do love my tree branches and leaves and the plants in the water, which I used green watercolor ink and my own black walnut ink.  I also used the black walnut ink for the fish and highlights in the tree trunk too.   Will share over on AJJ for Mia's theme fish 





35 comments:

  1. Oh my, there's been a lot going on at your pace, and nows my mouth is watering at the thought of all those goodies and fruits etc that you got, and I know how good your cooking always looks. I love your fish picture, and you can draw your fish however you like. Just have fun! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would darken the water to give the fish more depth. They seem to be floating in the air. But Valerie is right, just have fun, you did ask though haha. It is just great that you are arting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine-Yes I did ask as I am a total newbie to painting. I will go back and try darkening the water-thank you hugs

      Delete
    2. I like the change Kathy can't wait to see your next art piece!
      Forgot to say that I am glad you had fun times with friends the food part is so important and you all nailed it. The fruit sounds wonderful.

      Delete
    3. thank you Christine-my painting is a work in progress haha thanks for the tip. We really enjoyed the fruits, still allot here may need to make a crisp with the nectarines

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh, just as I (me Barbara) had decided what I might suggest, you went ahead and did those things. Was just going to say your tree was great and suggest lengthening the leaf branches. You are very good with foliage, even the weeds growing out of the water. In a scene like this it’s less important to think about composition and overlapping elements like on a journal page. So I’m glad you didn’t go there. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, I do really like my foliage too and my tree trunk not too bad.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you have been having some fun Kathy. And eating well too. And nice fish page. I like this fish and it goes with the fried fish you made. Smile. Thanks for sharing it with us at AJJ for Mia's challenge. HAve a great rest of the week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes nice that our friends come to visit us, it was a good time, hadn't thought of the fish going with the fried fish-smiles.

      Delete
  5. I love lots and lots of fruit. So good! And a bit of mustard in potato salad always sounds good to me. I LOVE mustard! Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like mustard too and so many to choose from too. My husband's Mom always added allot of mustard to her potato salad which was new to me when we first got together so I do it for him

      Delete
  6. Your journal page is quite nice and, in my opinion, deserves to be included. Which makes me wonder if the guys caught any fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Yes the guys did catch allot of fish to take back home and have their own fish fry with their friends there.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like you had a truly wonderful time. Ewww on the 8 hours ride, though!

    Hmmm, mustard potato salad sounds great. With all the mustard we have... and the very yummy potatos....
    And yum to all the fruit, too.
    OK. I´m hungry now (and it´s only 05:55 a.m.!).

    Coffee on the deck sounds great. Way too cold here still.

    Love your painting. Here it´s the other way round, mine look crap on pics!
    Funny, huh? Have a great day and hugs to teh lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes 8 hours is a long drive, we are so thankful they come down to visit us at least once a year. They are around 20 years younger than us and still working too. Yes I add a good amount of mustard along with mayonaise and a little pickle relish.to the potato salad.
      It's been cool this week, around 50's 60's f (early mornings) and when the sun is out really nice then and quiet on the lake too.

      Delete
  8. Very nice painting, Kathy! The blue water looks beautiful. I am so glad you are having fun with watercolour and ink.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Soma, I am enjoying my watercolors and ink-hugs

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a successful visit for everyone! It’s nice to stay in touch with friends, something we’ve been missing these last couple of years. Your painting is lovely, very summery! Watercolour painting although tricky is very satisfying and I have found that it’s more about how little paint we use than anything. Watercolour is more of an illusion of the subject I think. It’s not as forgiving as oil painting as a medium but it’s fun to see what can be created from a bit of pigment and a puddle of water! It takes time to achieve the looseness and fluidity with watercolours, it takes practise. I’m so glad you’re enjoying watercolours, it’s wonderful for bringing with you on outings to capture the day on paper. The crazy storms that were rolling up through Michigan missed us here in Canada but hit our daughters area in northern Michigan. Blew the roof of a hobby lobby! Crazy amount of damage. It’s going to be warm here fir a few days, more rain coming as well. Take care, ❤️👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Laurie, I love how you explained watercolors-an illusion of the subject I am really new to painting and try to practice at least once a week. so glad the big storms missed you, but now so good the damage it caused elsewhere-and to a hobby lobby-sad. I just woke up to rain-next week all mid to high 90's f quite a jump in the weather. you take care as well-hugs

      Delete
  10. Sounds like that you have been busy, Kathy. I would love to try your reuben sandwich too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the reuben sandwiches were sooo good. and found a jar of craft sauerkraut that was really nice on the sandwiches too. I have lots of left over corn beef so we'll have reubens again soon

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a good time. Good food too. The art is lovely. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good time for us to visit with long time friends. thank you

      Delete
  12. I think your fish look like they have a really good time - I can see big smiles on their faces! How come that the grocery shops nearest to you only offer very poor fresh fruit? That's horrible. Do you have a farmers market in your area? I love to buy at the farmers market and support our local farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a lovely summer time journal page, and perfect for one who lives at lake's edge. I asked yesterday, anonymously I see, if the guys caught many fish; so glad to know they were able to take some home for a fish fry. Your weekly water color practice is really paying off. I hope to get started on my watercolor course soon. I am dreading next week's heat and humidity so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary they caught around 40 fish between the two of them-so plenty for a big fish fry with their friends. I did allot of painting today-it ca me out so so Me too am not ready for 90's yet-a big storm just hit her right now-

      Delete
  14. Kathy your watercolor is delightful. I like how you extended the branches. Especially love the touch of the bird flying in the sky. It is fun to use ink with watercolors. I did a painting several years ago and it really made the painting more vibrant. Hope you and Larry have a great weekend. Stay cool friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm playing catch-up myself. So glad you also had company over the weekend. I am sure they had as much fun as you had. Nice that one of your friend's provided all that fruit. What an amazing treat.

    I really like your watercolor fish. It's a beautiful painting and perfect for Mia's theme at Art Journal Journey. I especially like how the tree branches hang over the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes all the fruit they brought was wonderful, still have some of it left. thanks about my painting

      Delete
  16. A beautiful water colour painting Kathy, thank you for linking to Mia's theme at AJJ.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit