Monday, June 20, 2022

Figuring out a Slow Stich Project

    Good Morning Friends,

     Starting around Friday, I dug out two bags that had my hand dyes, flower pounded pieces, rust dyes etc to contemplate a shawl, cocoon type shawl, or a jacket using a recent pattern I had purchased.

  Also first went through some of my fabric stash, I ran into a 1930's piece from one of my Grandma's sewing stash, and also pulled out a piece that was patchwork-India or hippie type fabrics that was a skirt I had found at the resale shop-intending to use for a sewing project.  

  I thought I would sew this into a cocoon wrap after adding patchwork pieces stitched with sashiko stitches.   Well this is just way too busy for me haha  and the patches would just add more caos.  I may still just sew into a wrap for around the house, or this may become a light couch quilt.



  Back probably around 2005 soon after I was newly retired I explored dyeing. I really loved it and did procion dyes, natural dyes, pebeo sun dyes and rust dyes. Dyeing was always so much fun for me as it was always a surprise when it came out of the dye pot and dried.

  My first ever procion dye project was a gradation of colors-taught by an artist in a yahoo quilt group way back then. I learned so much from him. This first project came out so lovely that I only used a couple pieces in a quilt.  I never cared for that mustard color and have one other piece so would use that instead.  However after getting out my jacket pattern, this will not make enough fabric as the  pattern is set up that each side is one piece for front and back and then you sew the two halves together-different than I have seen.

  I do have allot of yardage but it is not the same weight as this kona cotton so would not work out for this garment idea


  At least all these pieces got refreshed, pressed and enjoyed again lol

  So late yesterday I am thinking I need a smaller project to play with-patches on cloth with sashiko stitches.

  I got out the book again I had purchased on Sashiko and Boro and looked at the projects again. They have a really cute simple little bag pattern that would be perfect to store little items for a small project.  This one uses blue jean legs to make the deep pockets. This can be designed anyway one would want.

This book also had this cute little bag that I like even better and I think I will be making this one, easy to use with hand dye fabrics and I found a couple pieces of flower pounded pieces that have aged nicely




  Soooo that's the plan now haha  Happy Monday

30 comments:

  1. I wish I had your energy for all the hobbies! Love that handbag with jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the little bags, and they are so handy.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I think I am going to make the second one-sounds perfect to practice on

      Delete
  3. You have strated some ambitious projects. I love the bag. I can't see well enough for hand sewing these days, but I like seeing what others make! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I decided the jacket was too ambitious right now-I am loving the second bag-looks easy to put together and I can practice the stitches on it too. my eyes aren't as good any more either for close up work hugs

      Delete
  4. I sadly, sadly don´t have the patience for this - but the bag-idea I will take over - with that I answer also to.... TADAAAA... your snail mail! Thank you for the BIG smile you gave me today (well, Ingo did... delivering it to me).
    Good idea with the bags. I just need more time. Today I nearly fell asleep in a very boring work-meeting (don´t tell the guys).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow the mail to Germany is moving fast-wonderful!! glad you got it already-thought I would send you a little happy mail to brighten up your work week. that's easy to do-fall asleep in boring work meetings-Happy Monday

      Delete
  5. I agree, a smaller project would be a great idea. I’ve made the Japanese reversible knot bag, but not with the embroidery. They are really nice size for lots of uses. I love the pounded flower material, I made a table cloth with pounded flower print, you’re the only other person I know personally that does it! We should have been neighbours lol 👍❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been so much fun being neighbors-hugs--I forgot about these pounded flower pieces. These bags look pretty easy to make, and reversible too-I am thinking little gift bags too

      Delete
  6. Kathy are you playing with the fonts?.... lol Look at all your pretty fabric! And so many ideas running around in your head!! How about a pillow? thats small?? I like the bag idea too.. I bought some fabric this week can you believe that?? I'm a sucker for this certain type of fabric... ..darn i'm trying to think of the name of it and i just don't remember.. Anyway.. I have a pillow cover blank that i bought at Hobby Lobby and i want to trace out some crows to put on the pillow.. Yep .. another project... geesh.... lol Have fun Kathy! Looking forward to seeing what you make.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep playing with the fonts haha We have enough pillows although I could change up the covers-but I am liking the second bag-looks simple, I can use my hand dyes and play with the stitches.
      your project sounds fun too! look forward to seeing it hugs

      Delete
  7. You have lots of wonderful things to create with, wonderful color!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I always loved this set of hand dyes. I will probably use the yardage I have for the little bags

      Delete
  8. Kathy enjoyed seeing your beautiful dyed pieces. The bag would make a wonderful project using the patches. Hope you are surviving the heat. We hit 90's today. Stay cool friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Debbie I think so too, and it's a smaller project too. you stay cool too-hugs

      Delete
  9. Your fabrics are great Kathy, especially those hand dyed ones. I can't wait to see the bag. I am excited to get back to some sewing, once I can get everything cleaned off my sewing table that has been filling in as my art journaling table wile I'm waiting to get my work space finished. Hope it was a great first day of summer. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Erika, I think I am in the mood again for a little sewing. too. our a/c went our early evening last night so today was a good day getting it fixed-hugs

      Delete
  10. I remember following you when you were dying these pieces, but would like to go back and reread your posts. That's a darling little bag. Your hand-dyed pieces will be so perfect for making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I think this will be a perfect small project too-oh you won't find those posts as I had deleted my original blog

      Delete
  11. You have some beautiful fabrics. I love them. - Anne (Cornucopia)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit