Saturday, June 4, 2022

Happy Saturday & a Goof Up Turned out OK

   Hi Everyone, I thought I would pop in here quick to say Hello, and write a little post.

   I did allot of housework all day yesterday, but late afternoon I still wanted to bake us up Yellow Angel Food Cakes-my Grandma's recipe that I have baked since my '20s

  By this time I was just really tired and my back hurting, so I made the wheat angel food cake first. The eggs I always buy-large brown eggs in cardboard cartons-and fresh as I had just bought fresh for these cakes-would not beat up the whites into thick peaks. I was careful and no yolks got in them. I was happy the cake turned out good-didn't rise as high, or as light but still good.


This morning I cut in servings and froze most of the cakes


 When I got to mixing up my cake, we had Larry's helper over, and I just was distracted. After the yolks beat for 5 minutes you add the sugar and beat for another 10 minutes, then add the flour, and then the whipped whites.  I forgot the sugar-yikes-when I added the flour the whole batter shrank and I only had about a 1/4 of the batter left what??  Then it dawned on me after I added in the whites that I forgot the sugar. Sooo I put it all back in the mixer added the sugar and beat it for about 5 minutes.  Grabbed my gluten free bread pan and poured the batter in there-hoping it would bake into a pound type cake.

  I was greatly surprised-baked up super well, got the thermometer out to make sure it was at least 200 degrees-it wasn't so baked another 10 minutes or so. This cake that was a dud turned out sooo delicious. Moist, tastes just like angel food cake too.  I sliced mine up too and froze most of it-keeps the cakes from drying out, and we'll have treats in the freezer.

  I still do not understand why these egg whites would not beat up like they should even added in the cream of tartar-must have been older eggs when I bought them.


   This is the point my gluten free cake needed more baking to be baked through inside


Baked done inside now

 
Sliced and ready to get wrapped and into the freezer for later


  I was just sooo happy this gluten free cake turned our delicious.

I have lots to do today, finish cleaning the floors and I am making up our 40th wedding anniversary meal today and we'll have left overs for tomorrow (bbq baby back ribs)  which is our actual anniversary. Some time tomorrow our Wisconsin friends will arrive.

I will be busy first part of this week with our guests. I am cooking up corn beef to make into grilled reuben sandwiches for Monday, Tuesday I will do a fish fry, and not sure if the guys are going back to Wisconsin Wednesday or Thursday morning.

  Thinking I won't be around for T this week    Happy weekend and new week everyone

23 comments:

  1. Enjoy your cake, it looks delicious in spite of the mishaps - things like that happen. Sorry your back is still bad. Enjoy the time with your friends and take care of yourself. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was really delicious very moist loved it. I will hugs

      Delete
  2. The amount of cooking you do Kathy!! Its a good thing you enjoy it! The cakes look delicious.. I have yet to make that Hummingbird Cake recipe you gave me but i will!! Our 33rd Anniversary is coming up .. trust me i won't be cooking..lol Today hubby is cooking a stirfry.. We bought some kimchi to go with it.. Mmmmm... Hope you have a good weekend.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry lived in Japan for quite awhile before I met him, and he used to make the best stir frys from our garden veggies he loves kimchi too. when we were younger we would go out to eat once in awhile, Especially for a big breakfast or a sunday brunch at a good restaurant, now Larry has more food health concerns, and me gluten free-most kitchens at restaurants do not have a dedicated gluten free area -so going out to eat doesn't work for us any more
      i have always made our anniversary dinners every year. and yes good think I enjoy being in the kitchen haha

      Delete
  3. I love the smooth tender texture of your gf cake! Have a restful and great weekend, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this gf cake was really good very moist, baked well I may have to make it this way again haha

      Delete
  4. Happy anniversary! Funny how mishaps can actually result in something beautiful and tasty! I think the cake looks delicious. I love all your "adventures" in the kitchen. Enjoy the visit from your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! I’m glad your cake turned out , it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love pound cakes, so this may be one I have to try. One would never guess from the texture that it is gluten free. I so admire you for your love of cooking. Larry is a lucky guy! Happy Anniversary to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very impressed with the results-very moist cake not doughy at all-good for gluten free thank you

      Delete
  7. I've read that egg whites won't whip up if there is any grease or oil in the bowl or beaters, even if the pan had been cleaned. Not sure if that was your issue but thought I would mention it. Your cakes sound yummy. And have a wonderful anniversary and time with your friends. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip, shouldn't have been any oil as there is none in the cake, but I will remember that thanks. I see rain is back-again hopefully won't be a wash out Happy new week hugs

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary, Kathy. I am so impressed you were able to save that cake. I would not have known what to do if I forgot an ingredient. You are a master baker, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Elizabeth, I was so thrilled this baked up into a good cake.

      Delete
  9. That´s a lot of beating and weeeee.... to safe it like that! You make me want to skip work and bake (if it was lasagna or onion cake). If I was into sweets I sure would like to try yours, it looks so fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like this angel food cake as it is not very sweet like most cakes-I may just send you the recipe in my next slow mail-hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit