Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Books & a Journal Page Just for Fun

   Hi Everyone, Yesterday morning (Monday) began our string of extreme hot and humid days here in the Ozarks. It's close to 80 f degrees already by 6-7 am so just not healthy for either of us to be working outdoors.

  I got out my watercolors and tried again for a mountain scene in the back with a meadow in the front. I made the mistake of adding in a wide path with rocks that just really ruined my painting.  I used my black walnut ink for the mountains-and I loved it-will work with that again for sure. I need to remind myself all the time that I Must let it dry first before I can move on.

  So this morning instead of tossing the whole piece in the trash, I cut out what I liked and made a mixed media journal page with it and stamped on my only fish-I need to look for a smaller fish stamp.

  I decided to add on the opposite page a few other components of my painting to remind me about using the black walnut ink. The back of this journal page is a sheet of textured paper.


These rocks are not quite the right shape, will be working on that I did like my sky this time, I stamped the fish on a piece of the sky



 I am not going to share this one on AJJ, I mostly put a page together because I love those black walnut ink mountains.

  With being "stuck" in the house all day I got out some books that I bought over a year ago and had gotten side tracked with other books to read.

   I enjoy the 1700's-1800's period of time in our country. When I had finished reading a book about the Oregon Trail-a modern day adventure, I started looking for a few other books. This 3 book series includes actual letters written that were sent back home or diary entries. Before each actual writing the editors give us the history of the person and time period.  I have finished the first book and started on the second. This was a real eye opener for me of what really happened on the trail to Oregon or California. Hadn't realized all the deaths that occurred so many babies and young children lost their lives. Also the living conditions one doesn't think about during bad storms etc. they had to deal with. At the close of the first book one of the daughters later married John Muir. I recommend these if you are interested in this history.


In one of my last posts I mentioned sashiko and boro slow stitching.  I got two books in last week.

  If interested in the history (rural Japan mending clothing)  and how to-I highly recommend this one. I had to search online a bit to find a price I would pay.  This book really covers everything about this subject. I knew this was for mending but hadn't realized the history that was involved-the book is worth reading for that alone.

  The two authors go into detail about the supplies and how to's with projects at the end of book


This next book I just got in yesterday. There are quite a few books out on this subject. This one got really good reviews, the bad reviews-the readers just didn't "get it" haha.  I haven't started reading it yet but looking through it I love it already-lots of photos.  This is another one I needed to search around for a lower price-I ended up winning with a low bid and free shipping on Ebay.
  Years ago when I was much younger I would do allot of mending with patches on my jeans-I wish this book would have been available back then


  I have a cotton piece of fabric that was a skirt that I had already taken off the waistband and opened up all the seems.  It was a patchwork of India type prints or hippy era prints-so I think I will play with the stitches on that piece. I am waiting for marking pens that will wash out of fabrics and a stencil to get started on that. more later.  I am thinking of adding patches to it, turn it into a shawl or pillow, we'll see what happens.

  Another new book I bought as a suggestion from one of my blog and slow mail friends is about Soups. This is a huge book by Reader's Digest. I don't have a soup book so thought I would do a search. The price was all over the place for this one too, but I found one for $4.00 free shipping in like new condition-amazing for a very old book. Scanning through it-everything about soup I think is in here. haha


When I search online to buy books I compare prices on Ebay-which usually has free shipping, and Amazon.  I usually do better on Ebay for most books I am looking for.  I do a search at other online book sites too but they usually have shipping costs added.  I buy books since we live so rural, no close access to a library. I do love books though so it's ok.  

  I got one more book in that was suggested to me from Amazon. It is an historical fiction about Hamilton's wife. I hadn't realized that I have the author's other book in my library to read yet. This got really good reviews, and I have read a few books already on Hamilton.  Again the price was all over the place on this book too, but I found a really nice soft cover (not the cheap mass produced small print paperbacks) for $4.00 free shipping. I am excited to get into this book, but will finish the covered wagon women books first and then dig out the other historical book by this author.


I will close with "diamonds on the lake" a quote from our dear friend Eileen 

     



27 comments:

  1. Beautiful watercolour painting and that black walnut ink, that’s really something! It’s beautiful. I love the Japanese embroidery also, and the historical clothing, the indigo cotton field jackets they make are beautiful , I used to be really interested in the Japanese pattern books, I love their use of natural fabrics and dyes and I know that’s what has drawn me to them. The diamonds on the water, perfect description. ❤️👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Laurie, I am loving this black walnut ink I made it last year fall. It is boiled down a bit thicker than if using as a dye-I really love it.
      Yes their indigo cotton clothing is so beautiful which is another whole art adventure-smiles. I did grow my own indigo plants one year, and followed a recipe to dye with the fresh leaves-got a couple nice pieces. their pattern books would be wonderful to see hugs

      Delete
    2. It’s me, Anonymous Barbara, again. Just want to say that your sky is very effective in this one compared to the darker sky that you don’t like in the other painting. You could try a little trick that might not work, but if you go slowly it probably won’t hurt anything. Where it’s too dark for you, try adding some droos of clear water, allow it to set for a short time just until it’s soaked into the blue color, then very carefully blot the area with a dry paper towel or tissue. Be careful not to press too hard or rub at all or you risk damaging the paper, just quickly touch and blot where you put the water. The hope is it will lift some of the blue color from the sky. It might even look like clouds.

      Delete
    3. thank you so much Barbara-I will remember that hugs

      Delete
  2. Wow-your walnut ink is gorgeous! I have that mending book-I loved it. You are so creative and doing so many things. It's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Debra, that means allot-you inspire me to keep trying to paint. I love this black walnut ink too-I write most of my slow mail letters with it too. I dipped a brush into the ink and got this gorgeous color brown I love it

      Delete
  3. I love how you use your walnut ink. Such a super journal page. That soup cookbook looks wonderful...hope you have a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Debbie, I really love my black walnut ink. I need to get to reading this soup cookbook soon-hugs

      Delete
  4. Really does look like diamonds! Love how you pieced together your journal page for future reference.. such a good idea. You reminded me i picked up a book called The Churchill Woman by Stephanie Barron.. i hope its good.. i don't mind some historical fiction.. not my first go to but i will read some.. Hope you have a lovely day even though you are stuck inside.. Hubby is headed out at 4 pm to go play golf... Yes he is a crazy person.. Me .. i'll be inside until at least 7:30 or 8pm then i will putter around outside a little.. So for the rest of the day i will be in the craftroom.. painting rocks on the infamous Fish Painting.. found a technique i like so its full steam ahead..lol Hugs! deb PS Just put a snail mail in the mail for you...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of Eileen now especially when I see this in the water-she would always say I love those diamonds on the water.
      I guess I lean towards historical books-I don't read biographies though-my Mom would read everyone's biography haha.
      It is 100 degrees here again today with high humidity, got pooped just walking up and down the hill to get mail.
      enjoy your painting hugs

      Delete
  5. I am reading the Hamilton book I have not read much about that era. I haven't gotten far but I do like it. I picked up some stitching this week I hope to continue
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read a couple really good books about Hamilton, this one got my interest as it is about his wife and what she had to go through. anxious to read this one-let me know what you think when you finish.
      enjoy your stitching-hugs

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your post Kathy, especially reading about books. I've read a few books about pioneer women's diaries years ago, and they are very eye opening. It must have been tough on the trail. And I've seen those Japanese stitching books. The mending and stitching looks beautiful when done. And let us know how you like the My Dear Hamilton book is. And I like your mountain and lake page. I wouldn't have known you messed up if you hadn't told us, but you did a great job fixing it. Have a great middle of the week Kathy, and stay cool. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, I am more into the second book now, and it is fascinating reading, trying to picture myself making a journey like this.
      really enjoying reading these stitching books too, anxious to try this out, the sashiko stitch is done a bit different than just the quilting stitch is. will see how this goes.
      Yes I really loved these elements of the painting that I cut out-the rest was a disaster haha.
      we are stuck in the house for sure with this heat wave-you stay cool as well hugs

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the info on the stitching books. I love your black walnut ink. I made a batch last year too. Your "Journal Page Just for Fun" is wonderful. I really love those fun creative moments.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Soma, your welcome about the stitching books. the mending book is a little philosphical but I am enjoying reading that one too, and good photos for the mending. that's awesome you made the black walnut ink too-I really love it, and write most of my slow mail letters with it now. Yes I have been enjoying the journal pages-for a quick spur of the moment creation hugs

      Delete
  8. What a great post! Yes, those black walnut ink mountains are awesome - so glad you saved them for a journal page which also turned out well. Your old patchwork skirt sounds perfect for stitching. Oh, you do tempt me with those books on the subject, but ... In fact my shelves are just about full. If something comes in, something must go out. I am also especially interested in the stencil and marking pens you mentioned, so hope to learn from you about those. The weather was perfect for making hay today, so that's what we did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary I remember those haying days-I usually served the food haha I am that point too running out of book shelf space, am dissappointed that my outlander books have not sold yet on ebay but I did sell the set of Lord John books.
      I am really loving the black walnut ink painting with it-more fun haha

      Delete
  9. Mountains I somehow don´t like, nor woods (water it is, no surprise, huh).
    I loved watching "Little House on the Prairie" - got the DVD to watch it in the original.
    Even twice in hopes my Niece would find joy in the subject and language - reckon no such luck, sadly.

    Oh, I think you would scream and run away if you saw my last sewing work. I have no patience and ... the skirt won´t fall apart, all good ;-)

    Love the parting pic (of course) and would love to send you the low temps we have here for exchange!!!
    10C/50F. Yikes.
    To you and the lake and the summer, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the mountains too, when I lived near them in the '70s they made me feel safe and they are so beautiful too. the elevation though got to my asthma-and they can get lots of snow too in the winter.
      as long as your skirt won't fall apart-all is good hugs
      I wouldn't mind exchanging our temps for a bit enjoy your day hugs

      Delete
  10. The mountain was beautifully done, Kathy. I love jeans with patches..that lake view is simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here it's very hot, and I'm staying home and reading. I'm not feeling good just now, so I will be spring again next week hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes stay cool Valerie, I have been reading allot here too since this wave began a couple days ago. take care of You-hugs

      Delete
  12. The diamonds on the lake look wonderful , such a peaceful scene.

    Take care, your temperatures sound HOT!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I love seeing this scene too, yes the heat and humidity are pretty extreme-no end in sight so far

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit