Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Laundry Soap Recipes and Recipes with Dandelions & Violets

  Good morning,
        Instead of waiting til next week's T party I thought I would share recipes now, and also some other really nice simple recipes to make with some of mother nature's gifts to us. ( I will post a link to this post on the next T post as well)

   Around 2008 when the economy crashed we were hit hard and were stuck with not being able to sell our Illinois home which had very very high taxes. So we had to really pinch pennies for several years. This is when I looked into making laundry supplies. I always thought I wanted to get into making lye soaps but I decided No- me and chemicals are an accident waiting to happen ha ha  and I also discovered for some reason my skin did not like homemade lye soaps even when they were cured properly. So, no I needed to look into another way to make laundry soap.
   Back during this time period I learned from reading on the web (this had become quite popular too). For me it was fun to make and saved me soooo much money and I also did not need to recycle those plastic bottles. We had also bought a new washing machine when we retired here and it needed a low suds soap and for me I also needed no perfumes added either-so the laundry soap was just really expensive.

   Many recipes were calling for the fels napha bars of soap to grate up into laundry soap. Do Not use this-it is way too strong for every day laundry soap and is rough on the skin as well.  Instead look for an old bar soap like Kirks

Laundry Soap Recipe

   I double this recipe to fill up a 5 gallon bucket to the top

1 quart boiling water
2 cup bar soap grated very fine
2 cups borox
2 cups washing soda
2 tablespoons glycerin

What I do is fill a pan that holds around a gallon or so of water and bring to a simmer or slow boil

Then gradually add in the grated soap stir slowly to melt-try not to create soap suds

In the 5 gallon bucket which is placed where I want it to stay in the laundry room-add in the borox and the washing soda-then pour in the hot water with melted soap and stir til all dissolved. Then with very hot tap water add and stir-when the bucket is half full add in the glycerin and stir and continue to add hot water and stir til you are to the top of the bucket. Keep the lid off and then let sit til the next day-You will then have a bucket of gelled soap.(then put the lid on to keep clean)  Depending on the wash load I use a half cup to a cup.
   The only "hard" part to this recipe is grating all the soap-to double the recipe you need 4 bars of the kirks bar soap

   I used to also make my own bleach but it really only works well if you are hanging clothes outside on the line in the sun.  Now when needed I add a dry bleach.

In the past I have also made my own fabric softener which works pretty well, but then I switched to just adding vinegar, sometimes I use a store bought fabric softener now.   If anyone is interested in the homemade bleach and fabric softener recipes let know and I will post them.

I do want to also share the dry soap recipe which you can make and use instead of the gelled recipe.  I use fels napha bar soap in this dry recipe to use for washing my throw rugs and or soiled laundry that needs a good soak first. This is such a strong product that my husband used it in the tanning process (there are many references online for using fels napha in tanning-so thought I would link to one) for hides  So I would not use this bar soap for your regular laundry

   Dry Laundry Soap

1 cup grated bar soap
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borox
You can also stir in a few drops of essential oils too

Stir all together and store in air tight container
I use 1 tablespoon for regular laundry or 2-3 tablespoons for very soiled.




With the Dandelions blooming I wanted to share some recipes from the Nerdy Farm Wife-she is my go to site for making my own salves, balms and more. You can find her in my blog list.

She has a wonderful collection of dandelion recipes. There are several I want to make. One of them are these dandelion lotion bars I want to make these for sure.



(photos found online)

With the wild violets coming up she has several recipes on her site for those too and I love making violet sugar-it keeps well and is so pretty to add on top of frostings or even cream cheese or yogurt.  This is one method-just layer the sugar and violets in a clean jar. Or you can blend sugar and violet flowers together in a blender  here  
These make nice gifts too.

8 comments:

  1. Great recipes but I think I will not get the ingredients here... and if they would be so expensive I fear. But I will try out the violet sugar. Our Austrian Empress Sisy used to eat dried violets and violet sugar a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these recipes. For some reason, I thought you could use Ivory soap, not Kirks, which I have never heard of or seen in the stores. And I don't buy anything over the internet. Just doing the math in my head, I see the borax and washing soda are around $5.00 each, and I was given a bottle of glycerin with a price tag of $7.99 attached. Not sure I'd be saving much money, since I no longer do laundry more than once a week. Unless I have to wash a blanket or bedspread, I have found a way to wash everything in a single load. However, if I can find the Kirks, I will give this a try once and see if I save money. I already have washing powder and glycerin, so I'm partway there (grin).

    I WILL be making dandelion bars, though. I plan to infuse some dandelions soon, since my back yard is filled with them about now. Thanks for these recipes, and I am so glad you shared them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, amazing that you do this, I’m sure you will inspire many to try your recipe(s), Kathy! It would never happen in my house, but I don’t have your sensitivities. I guess I’d do it if necessary, but you know me, I don’t even like to cook food. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this Kathy.. I think i will still be using my store bought laundry detergent and such but the dandelion recipes and Violet recipes are very interesting to me.. What a great timely post for this time of year.. Are there any other wild plants and such you use other than in your dyeing process... Do you find or eat ramps where you live? Do you know the right mushrooms to eat? Can you share? This is fun! Thanks alot Kathy! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you use liquid Castille soap, like Dr. Bronner's unscented baby soap instead of having to grate the soap bars? And is this laundry detergent safe to use in the HE (high efficiency machines)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your laundry soap sounds good, I am not fond of the aggressive smell of the bought products. And recipes for dandelions etc sound good, the meadows here are all covered with them. Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipes sound really good, but like Susi I think some of the ingredients would be hard to get here in the UK as well.
    There are a lot of edible flowers, very trendy in some restaurants.
    The violet recipe sounds good, but sadly there are no wild violets near where I live. Anyway I can appreciate all the things that you make, must give you a real sense of achievement, and you will know exactly what is in the products you use.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a creative time you've had making soap! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful recipes and ideas too 😀. Wishing you a wonderful weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit