Saturday, April 7, 2018

It Worked (Label off the Wine Bottle)

Good morning Saturday,
   I want to thank all of you that commented with tips on how to remove and save a label from a wine bottle.
   Through email correspondence we also discussed using steam, the oven at 350 degrees, and a heat gun.
   I decided to try Jo's technique first of filling the wine bottle with boiling water wait around 5 minutes and peel off. I did this in the sink and I also warmed up the bottle first with hot tap water, I don't think wine bottles should break with the boiling water but one never knows.  
    She also suggested to empty the boiling water and then with protection for your one hand to hold the bottle start to peel the label off. I decided to leave the boiling water in the bottle while peeling in case it needed more time.
   Interesting that the back label was a different paper and a different glue and that would not peel off. It had a map of Spain where the wine was from which I thought I might be able to use.






Of course the label curled when it was off and the back was still Very sticky too-so I just put it onto wax paper. I figured if it did not come off of the wax paper easy when I went to use it that I could just cut around it.

So that is another question-what do you do with your labels when you take them off the bottles? Do wait til you are ready to use them to take them off and place where you want them or how do you handle them? thanks

10 comments:

  1. Wow, this is the label that I so admired in the post where I first saw it. It’s perfect for my Fiber Art Journal. Lol! I think I’d take off a label and store it until I’m ready to use it. It would be easier to store a bunch of labels than a bunch of bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing some catch up Kathy.Interesting about wine bottle labels. I can't say I've saved too many labels myself but that boiling water method looks like it was a great idea. I know I use hot water on used postage stamps and then I either directly stick them onto my art of like you, I put them on wax paper. I know they dry out flat or I press them. Not sure that helps with the wine bottle label question but figured I add it in. Hope it's a great weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Jo's idea worked for you. I personally do NOT care about the label on my blue Skye bottle, but want the cobalt blue bottle. I'll try Jo's technique, and will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have never thought of that! I've just always soaked them in hot water. I like this way much better. THanks for sharing your found tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been catching up as well and will remember this tip for removing labels from bottles as well.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a fab post and I'm so glad that it worked for you! If the back label isn't coming off maybe leave the boiling water in the bottle for longer to see if the glue will melt, if that doesn't work maybe try soaking it, you have nothing to lose as you can't get it off anyway and you never know it just might just might come off intact 😁. With regardrto your other questions, I remove labels straight away and keep them in my craft stash. When I remove the labels I stick them onto a piece paper (usually white printer paper). I can then cut around the label when I chose to use them on my pages and the paper also strengthens the label too. I can't wait to see how you use your beautiful wine bottle label 😀. Happy Weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post you have going here Kathy. I learned so much and will definitely try that boiling water method.. Like Jo i would probably stick it to a piece of paper then cut around it.. I like to use them in collage so that would work great for me.. I cringed at the thought of putting boiling water in the wine bottle too so glad it didn't burst. Thanks so much Kathy! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an awesome label so I'm glad you found a method that worked. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a box that I store my labels in until I'm inspired to use them. I lay them on the waxed paper too and it keeps them separated in the box.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit