Sunday, March 25, 2018

T Stands for Tuesdays & This and That

Happy T for Tuesday everyone. This is where we share a drink related post with friends.(just take a photo of your water, coffee or whatever you are drinking)  Find the link to our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth in my right hand column.

  This past week was not a fun one for me. 
I had really gotten the muse for my fabric journal but I am back to waiting for something again before I can proceed. So I have been reading in my spare time and spinning the bison fibers into yarn.

  We all go through this but I was sooo frustrated. I went to my dentist that I have seen since we moved here back in 2004. He was close and I liked him. I had gone in to check on a bad tooth-and he charged me over $100.00 for 4-5 x rays that were no good. His assistant never got the root which was needed. and he comes in and tells me that he doesn't do any of the work any more. He never should have accepted those x rays. He never explained what was going on.  So right away they send me to an office and she is sending me off to Springfield, Mo. I say hold on one minute don't make any appointments cause I am not happy right now. So any ways I call a friend and she refers me to two different dentists in the opposite direction going towards the lake. The one I called got me right in, loved the dentist as he explained things well. This was a more organized office too. 
      Had to take another x ray since the others were no good-they laughed when I brought those others with. and for the same thing x ray and diagnosis he charged me $18.00 Huge Huge difference. and I feel bad that I have been way over charged all these past years. well such is life.
   So long story short I have a major infection in the very back 2  teeth and one needs to come out-nothing left to repair and the other tooth that is bad takes a special dentist to repair. So back to Springfield-where I do not want to drive to. It's about a 90 minute drive on expressway to a big city-so I am just not comfortable with that.
   In the meantime I am still on antibiotics. They did pull the one tooth too. I need to call and see how expensive this will be-sounds like close to $2000.00 and I already put money in that tooth a few years ago-so ugh double ugh I may just pull it although that will leave me with no molers on one side. so for sure feeling very senior right now.
   A couple days later we needed to drive to Springfield to see a new cardiac doctor. My husband's condition is worsening. The scary part was we almost got smashed by a semi truck driver and all the cars following close behind us. good thing my husband is an excellent driver. I was shaking for an hour afterwards. 
   I did call the truck company with the truck number and the license plate number but I got the feeling he never wrote it down.
   So all I can say that was a rough week-but I know allot of this just comes with age so we will deal with it. Our bodies do wear out. I am unhappy because we eat very healthy and I prepare all foods from scratch, do not eat out etc etc. but genetics always rules it seems. The genetics from my father's side is just now showing up on me too. 

    Anyways I guess I just had to get all that written down to close last week. thanks for "listening"

   l was inspired by Linda's cast iron baked chocolate chip bars so I searched online and decided on a recipe from America's Test Kitchen. Hubs was going to a party for Mr L so I made a batch for him to take. Everyone went nuts over them.  I decided this morning to make up a  batch with gluten free flour-turned out perfect. I will share the recipe and more photos on cast iron Fridays




    This is a great way to bake up some chocolate chip bars-and I love this recipe it is a bit different too on how you make it.

  The geese pair still show up here but I haven't seen them eat the corn and seed I put out any more. Hubs saw them on the little island in one of our ponds one day. of course the muscovy pair are still here too. They arrive early, use the ponds, sit around, eat, and then fly off haha.  I grabbed the camera for a little walk and I did not see the geese but this is the spot Note it is possible that the hen is tucked into her nest on the left side in that opening but I didn't want to disturb her by getting any closer if she was there. This is the same spot she nested in a few years ago.



Even though we are back to being really cold and windy again-no snow though-I planted up a few more water bottle greenhouses. These are three different variaties of milkweed, Japanese indigo for dye, and one with a pretty marigold.  I have also planted broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and green cotton seeds. It has been too cold again for anything to sprout and no sun here most days. We are to get lots and lots of rain Monday and Tuesday so I put the jugs in a sheltered spot. Last year I lost most of my seeds and plants with too much rain.
  Saturday I also cleared out the weeds etc from the other raised bed but I need more soil to put in before planting. and I also got all the wisteria runners wound back into the trellis-that was a job as I hadn't got to it last year.





 I opened up a new bottle of wine (found at Aldi), the bottle was so pretty that I grabbed a crystal wine glass. I really like this one-dry but not too dry.




Hope all of you getting that snow are not getting any more. I think we are all so anxious for spring to get here. 

Happy T Day
Thanks so much for stopping by

15 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear your dental woes. We got a Himself's friend who is a dentist. I'm such a big baby won't go to anyone else and Dr. J is very patient with me. We've been going to him for over 30 years, and I wonder what I'll do when Dr. J retires. It's awful to be overcharged or to find out the work was not done correctly. Hopefully, the new dentist will get you back on track. Yikes! Your near accident sounded scary. I'm still shaking. I don't like driving in big cities on congested highways. The island and the pond remind me of the island in the lagoon of the Boston Garden and featured in the childrens story, "Make Way for Ducklings". It may be another couple of weeks before we get outside in the garden as the snow cover is still deep. Yes, very anxious for Spring. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had quite the week Kathy. Good and bad. Hopefully the new dentist works out and doesn't drain your bank account dry. Work on your teeth is so expensive I think it should be covered under health insurance. Who can afford it? (but then health insurance isn't cheap either.)Your baking looks yummy and I that wine sounds good. Happy early T day and happy Monday too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your week, I'm so glad you got things sorted and I'm wishing you happier times dear Kathy! Your cookie looks so yummy, I can't wait to see your post on Friday to see how you made it 😁. I'll happily enjoy a glass of wine with you too, Happy T Day wishes! Thinking of you and wishing you well! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh you have had a terrible week, I hope your new dentist gets your teeth problems sorted. WE are lucky here, yes we pay for dental work but your prices seem way to high. I hope your husband is okay as well, lets hope the next days will be a whole lot better for you both.
    The cake you shared looks delicious and I would be up to have a glass of wine as well,
    Happy T day wishes Kathy.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a nightmare regarding all the dentistry woes! i do hope things sort themselves out and you're able to get the best outcome you can. I know what you mean about aging and genetics. Although we do eat out on occasion, I otherwise cook everything from scratch too and we do eat healthy, yet sometimes it's not enough when the genetics come into play:( Your gluten free dessert looks wonderful. Glad to have inspired you as you have inspired me:)
    Will share a glass with you anytime. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear that you and your hubby are having health difficulties. Does not sound like fun. I had a root canal several months ago. Thinking my tooth got infected from one of my kids head butting me in the mouth. So glad that my tooth was able to be saved. I hope this new dentist is able to help you and save your tooth.
    That skillet cookie looks so yummy!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. when we have tough weeks it makes us stronger people but we dont think so at the time. I had my back tooth out recently and it was throbbing for a long time and made me feel ughh but glad I found a decent dentist in the end as some dentists over here in the UK are rip off merchants too..but it will come back to them I think karma. That wine looks nice will have to try it and I am intrigued when you mentioned spinning bison wool how exciting..wishing a better week for you and your man after this bad one

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only there were bright neon signs pointing to the right Dentist/Doctor... Someone who knows what they are doing, cares about you and not charge you an arm and a leg.. I hope everything works out Kathy.. I'm sorry to hear you have to wait on more material for your journal. Must be so frustrating when your ready to create! Hope you are having a happy T day! Kick back and enjoy the rain... thats what i'm doing.. I think chili is in order for today in the crock pot.. with cheese on top and crackers.. lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you've had such a bad time. Dental issues are doubly scary because regular insurance doesn't cover it at all and dental insurance isn't great in my experience. I'm glad you've found a dentist you can trust.

    I gave my oldest my cast iron skillets, but I do miss them. I think I need to get one. Some things just aren't the same cooked in anything else.

    You have a beautiful setting for a walk :) I also enjoy keeping an eye on the birds during the year, but mine's a city view. I don't have enough sun for veggies and enjoy seeing your progress. Thx for sharing the wine. I'll have to see if our Aldi carries wine.

    Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry I am late visiting. I fell asleep and when I woke, I realized I still had things to do before my friend arrives from TN to spend time with me.

    I am so glad Linda has joined you for Cast Iron Fridays. I HOPE to join next Friday, since my friend leaves this Friday.

    I am so sorry to read about your dental woes. I agree with you that insurance is so expensive and nothing is covered unless you get special insurance for it. It's too bad your previous dentist didn't treat you fairly, and charged you too much for his services. However, I AM glad you found a dentist you now like and who explains things to you. I hope this all gets taken care of soon.

    Wrecks can be scary. I've only had one in my life, but it was unavoidable. I'm thrilled your husband is such an excellent driver.

    We are a "dry" state, so NO grocery store is allowed to sell liquor or wine. Only state approved liquor stores. That was something I found interesting when I moved from MO to KS., even though I don't usually drink alcohol.

    Thanks for sharing your wine and your beautiful glass with us, and for sharing your harrowing tale of this week for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kathy,

    I hope you get your teeth fixed quickly! I have inherited bad teeth and gums from my father's side, as well. It's no fun, for sure! I try to take lots of natural calcium supplements, but it's hard to remember.
    The cast iron cookie looks great! We used ours to make fried potatoes on St. Patrick's Day (I should've thought of taking pictures!).
    Love,
    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Kathy - fingers crossed for your theeth! Dentists will not go to heaven after death - at least the most of them!
    That cast iron cookie looks more than yummie!
    I am curious about the water bottle greenhouses.Never heard about something like this- I will google for it..if you have a link for me please let me know on occasion please!
    Aldi is always a great opportunity for a good bargain and often sells premium quality wines for a very good price, here in Austria as well.
    Happy T-Day Kathy!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sorry to hear about your tooth troubles...and the inefficient dentist!! been there, done that. I think every tooth in my head has a crown or a filling. but you don't want to hear about that...the crystal wine goblet is beautiful...the wine will perhaps make your teeth feel better!? and glad you survived the freeway incident...sounds very scary. Love the cookies in the cast iron. maybe I should try it?! happy T day, and good luck with all of your health appointments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A good dentist is so important - sorry to hear about yours letting your down! Here's hoping you have better luck now! We have an insurance which pays part of our dental costs but of course it only takes one big treatment required to use that!!! Your cookie looks great - it will taste good cut into bars too! Love that you will have young birds on the water! I know how a bash in a car feels - it does knock your confidence a bit even though it isn't your fault! Take care! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Kathy, I wish you could come visit us here in Mexico and get your teeth taken care of. The high cost of living and cold climate in NJ were the main reasons we moved here. Your dental care would cost 90% less - though we do have to carefully vet who we go to, as there are no regulating medical boards. Life is full of trade-offs, isn't it?

    I'm sorry to hear your husband's heart condition is worsening. I love hearing about the "pioneer" life you two are living in the Ozarks and hope it can continue. You lead such a healthy lifestyle. I read this a long time ago, but it has stuck with me. You can keep youself young-looking and healthy for a long long time ... until you can't any more.

    I marveled at that huge cast iron baked cookie when Linda shared it. Yours looks just as awesome!

    While you're enjoying watching returning geese and ducks, I've been enjoying the most beautiful songbirds. I wish you could hear and see them too ;-) I've started illustrating them (such as my drawings are) in my journal.

    We'll be sending you some Monarchs to eat your milkweed plants fairly soon as my neighbor has about 40 cocoons at this point. No caterpillars yet. I'll let you know so you can have everything ready for their arrival.

    While you were enjoying a lovely Italian red wine, I had a glass of Gallo Chardonnay - the best available here. Like I said, "Life is full of trade-offs."

    I was VERY late to T this week and am glad to see you're still at the party - lol.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit