Thursday, March 8, 2018

Cast Iron Fridays

 Welcome back to my Cast Iron Fridays. 

     I have been around cast iron pieces in the kitchen and outdoors for as long as I can remember. More recently I enjoy baking in my dutch ovens outdoors with coals. So I thought I would start posting on Fridays with some of my own knowledge and also shared recipes and information I find online.
    You are most welcome to join me with your own post just link up. I know several of you no longer can use your cast iron pieces however if you have knowledge to share or a favorite recipe you made in the past you are most welcome as well. Most of us that grew up with cast iron still love it.
    In comments last week I was asked if this could be any recipe or only cast iron.  Just about any recipe can be prepared in most forms of kitchen ware, but for this event I am featuring cast iron only. 

   This week I had planned on sharing the results of an experiment. I have made several upside down cakes on top of the stove with very good results, so yesterday I thought I would try brownies. My first thought was that it may be difficult to get the top to bake-and I was right. It rose beautifully but just did not bake on top. I had thought of pouring some cherry pie filling on the bottom of the cast iron skillet and then the brownie batter on top. I am thinking that the fruit bubbles up into the cake to help get it baked. So perhaps I will try that again or wait to bake it outdoors in my dutch ovens

   A couple of you mentioned you were not familiar with heat diffusers.  These actually work really well with electric stoves as these are designed to even out the heat. Cast iron already does that so no need to use one. For baking the cake on top of the stove I used mine kinda like a trivet to elevate the pan above the flame.  My husband found mine over 40 years ago and I have not ever seen another one like it.  If you search online for heat diffusers you will find several styles.

  In my collection I have a couple of very small cast iron skillets which are also very light weight as well. These are perfect for eggs for each person. If your cast iron is well seasoned the eggs will not stick but slide right out of the pan. Hubs really likes his scrambled. These eggs are so yellow because they are from uncaged chickens I get from our postal lady.





I sprinkle in some dried chives and a little shredded cheese, the hardest clean up is the spatula haha

I found this photo online




   I thought I would share a couple recipes of fried chicken made in cast iron. This one is by Alton Brown at Food Network  and this one looked delicious too from America's Test Kitchens.

Thanks so much for stopping by (Note the links last for 7 days only)

9 comments:

  1. I need to pull out my grandma's pan and make some smothered pork chops or something else to join in. Those eggs look really yummy! Think tomorrow night we'll need to do breakfast for dinner. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised that I actually have a star shaped heat diffuser. I had no idea what it was called, although I keep it on one of the rear burners of my electric stove.

    My grandmother seasoned her cast iron perfectly, but I never could get mine to season like hers or like yours, for that matter. I love how the eggs turned out, though, and it has made me hungry.

    I have a friend who may have some cast iron. If so, she and I can cook together and join in one of these times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use mine mainly in the summer on the grill. Can we link up old posts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can make breakfast for me anytime! Those eggs look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your egg dish looks delicious. Fresh laid eggs are really tasty to use as you did here.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a conversion chart for using charcoal briquettes to bake in a dutch oven. I made a cheesecake baked in a water bath. It turned out just like in my home oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie, cool to see you here. I have one of those charts too-I used it when I baked bread outdoors in dutch oven.

      Delete
  7. LOVE your new blog!!!

    Sorry for my long absence, and I hope you are having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit