Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Remember Sir John and Izzy??

  My new readers won't know who Sir John and Izzy are but about 4 years ago we had a pair of Canada Geese stay here and nest. One  of our ponds has a mini island that we made in the middle-and that is where they nested.
   That first season they raised 3 babies. The following year they returned and nested but a predator stole their eggs. They were pretty lost and just hung out.
   The third year they returned but nested elsewhere.
Last year we didn't see them.
   Sir John and I had a "talk" that first year. (ha ha)  I let him know that I was the "corn lady" so stop going after me-and he stopped after that-and backed off while I tossed out the corn. I really enjoyed them that year. On my old blog I had a naming contest for them and these names were from the first President of Canada.
  This is the only pair of Canada Geese that knows about the corn, so I am sure it's them It was too dark to get a photo from inside the bay window so I grabbed some corn and the camera. I really think it is them.
    They arrived a bit after the Muscovey duck pair flew off for the night-so this will be interesting if the geese return
    Hubs won't be too happy to see them though as they carry weed seeds on their feet which plants itself and is then very difficult to get out of the ponds. but I love seeing them again



11 comments:

  1. AAAaaawww Kathy.... so nice when 'old' friends return.. My 'girls' have taken over the back yard and the hillside leading down to the hollow.. The grass is greening up there and they are having a feast.. I must have had 20+ in the yard again tonight.. makes my heart glad to see them.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have more Canadian Geese than you can shake a stick at. People started feeding them, so they failed to leave. Now they stay and have gotten bolder year by year, especially down by both rivers. So glad your two have returned, but watch for the slimy poop they leave behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your new guests stay a while with you. There are always lots of them at the Rhine here. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story, it must be lovely to see them again! Let's hope they stick around ๐Ÿ˜. Have a great day! J ๐Ÿ˜Š x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Sir John and Izzy. Geese tend to hang out in flocks, not pairs, and they live a long time. So they could very well be your original pair. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the story of how you told Sir John off. The Goose Whisperer. =^,.^=

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for telling us new folk to your blog about the geese. I do hope its the same pair returning, if not I'm sure you will have a word with the Mr to tell him how corn is served to your flying guests.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great that they are back! I love seeing those yellow daffodils blooming behind them. :) It is surely spring-someplace. Happy Wednesday Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopefully they will stick around again. I don't have Daffy's uet but I have a few buds so SOON!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit