Sunday, May 14, 2023

T Stands for Tuesday-more gardening

   Hoping all you mothers had a wonderful Mother's Day here in the States last Sunday. The lake was very busy all weekend despite the off and on rain with boats and those noisy personal watercrafts. The sailboat was out again too on Sunday and he had the perfect wind for his sailboat. We had a warm and very humid long weekend


  This brings us to Bluebeard and Elizabeath's T for Tuesday where we share a post with a drink related photo. Find link in my side bar to join in 
   
  I have been outdoors every day either weeding, planting or weed eating our yard. The weed eating was done in between small spurts of rain for three days now, I have one more area to finish. I use up 3 to 4 batteries at a time which is close to 2 hours-that's enough for my back in one day. Then I charge them back up for the next day. I know it's allot of hours, but the lawn service people are just too expensive, and I don't want to buy a lawn mower either-knowing me I would end in the lake haha.  We are also working on bringing in rock to get rid of most of this grass

  We had a lovely surprise down by our lake front. When we first moved here I dug up a few plants including our blue flag iris that love wet feet. They love being near a pond so they can get their feet wet. Larry thought they would grow well here at the lake by stuffing them in cracks into the rocks that is our natural sea wall here where we live.  A  couple years ago the lawn service continued to cut them down even after telling them not to-I finally fired them.  Last year we thought we lost them since they had been cut down so many times the previous year.  When I was weed eating grass over the weekend in that area-Wow so happy to see them again!!


Sunday morning the first bloom. These are Larry's favorite flowers-so I was thrilled to see them again. 

    They look like an inspiration for a painting

The electric company here that uses the lake to make power lowers the lake after summer and then brings the water back up by Memorial Day weekend. Once the water is back up-it will rise up to these plants but not totally cover their roots-just keeps them moist. So the lake will be much deeper here on the edge when that happens


  Last year I learned about hummingbird plants from one of my blog and slow mail friends  They are a perennial and the butterflies and hummingbirds love them-so thought perfect for my garden.  I bought 3 plants that were quite small when I received them in the mail and this spring I had lost two and then accidently pulled the third one out when weeding grrrrr  So I went back on Ebay and bought a different color and from a different seller-this is the seller's photo 


This is the name of this perennial   Agastache kudos silver blue hyssop mint  This was a different seller and the plants came so well packaged, were large and healthy. I gave him an excellent review I was so happy. This is a photo of them. The box even had a couple air holes for the plants.  I planted them early Sunday morning-in front of a rocked area I have been working on-to the right of the big copper pot. They will have room to spread up there and they will be tall with the rocks behind them-should look nice.

                                 

   I also got the area in front all weeded-saved the wild violets, and brought over allot of those chocolate mint plants which will then turn this area into a ground cover.   
   Behind that area I finished more of the weeding where the goldenseal plants are that I had planted last year and Monday the bloodroot plants should arrive so I can get those planted. There is just enough shade for those two plants in this area-they naturally live in the woods where it is shady. I will place bark around those plants too.  

 So the off and on rain the last couple of days has been perfect for gardening.

    I have a couple drink shares.  A couple weeks ago I started a batch of limoncello which is so refreshing on a hot summer day.  I used around 12 large lemons-peeled the peels into vodka, where it will sit for a month. Strain add sugar and a little lavender, can't remember now if water is also added. If interested in the recipe tell me in comments. We keep the finished limoncello in a plastic jug in the freezer where it stays nice and cold.
   So now I had a dozen lemons with no peels on them, so I made us fresh lemonade and used splenda instead of sugar to sweeten it up.
  The pottery lemon juicer is one of my first handmade pottery purchases-back in the early '70s. I love using it and have not seen another one as nice. I think I bought this one in North Carolina where I lived for awhile back then.



I also brewed up a flavored decaf coffee for something different, I decided to bring out another very favorite handmade pottery piece of mine. This was a 4 piece set of cups and I also bought the pretty pitcher that matches-which I need to bring out and use this summer. These pieces are soooo light weight. I had asked the potter how she did that and she told me her pieces are electric fired.




  I baked us up a big cast iron skillet full of apple crisp with the fresh rhubarb I had found at the Amish store a couple weekends ago. Makes a nice snack in the evening or I like it for breakfast too.

    Saturday I received the little mending loom in the mail, it is a cute little piece, will try it soon.  This is already long so will share a book next week

  Happy T and new week



41 comments:

  1. The Lemonade looks so refreshing. Love the lake view with the bloom grass. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for visiting, I love your blog but I have not been able to comment do to blogger saying it is not safe-sorry-there is a way to fix that but can't remember now how to do that

      Delete
    2. I right clicked on her blog name and it took me to her profile page. From there I clicked on her web site and it took me to her page. I left a comment, but be aware it is moderated, like yours.

      Delete
  2. Another great post, Kathy. I could read on and on about your adventures on the lake. I love your picture of the blue flag Iris. And, of the pottery cups! I have a few mints back but am unsure of the colors. They and Millie keep the deer away from the gardens. Mary @ Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary that is good to know about the deer-thank you-as it grows it is in a spot the deer won't like then and will keep them out of that main garden area

      Delete
  3. LOL, no mower for you then!
    Yay for the flowers! Esp the new brand. And is there really a taste of chocolate mint?
    You´ve really been VERY busy!
    Oh, I still have two lemons, too! I´ll put them into tea, though.
    I have an automatic juicer, according to the color from the 70´s, too - I found it in the street, so cool!
    Who throws such a goodie in the street?!
    Hugs to you and the lake (hope it stays calm!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mowers are too expensive and can't lift the gas can so this is easier for now although it takes allot of time to do. I have been super busy with the gardens and the grass cutting-but things are looking good no.
      automatic juicers are really nice to have we used to have a couple of those that I used for canning juices back when I had a garden. lemons are perfect with tea too hugs

      Delete
  4. Hi Kathy, it sounds like you have been very busy again and done more work over the weekend than I manage in a month! Well done. I am sure your garden will be fabulous. I bought 6 pink petunias today, so need to plant them in a large pot. Happy T Day, stay happy and heathy, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, yes I have worked every day now outdoors for two weeks-finally needed a break today my body says stop haha. I love petunias and the last til frost if kept watered enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful flowers. They give the area a classy look. A painting for you to do, I agree. They would be lovely on notecards.
    The lemon recipe is noted, on the list for summer enhancements. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may a try a painting, I looked on shutterfly to make them into cards by the time they added shipping and taxes they were 30.00 for 10 cards and envelopes-a bit much

      Delete
  6. I love agastache also-I need to buy them again as mine died out or were pulled out by mistake! Yum-rhubarb and apples together sounds good. My rhubarb is ready to pick. That is such a sweet story about the blue flag plants. I'm so glad they came back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i Debra, it was such a wonderful surprise-we didn't see any sign of them last year so they must have recovered underground. we are looking for other colors of these now too

      Delete
  7. Oh my! You've been incredibly productive! Well done! I'm impressed. And those blue water irises are spectacular. Rick is opening our cottage this week; I'm home. He likes it now -- before all the boats get loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agree-about the lake-it is crazy busy here too already not even safe to be on the lake with all the crazys haha

      Delete
  8. I wish I was half as productive as you. You would laugh if you saw me trying to get my plants outside that I think I've killed. Even showering and shaving (under arms) are a chore.

    I also know how expensive lawn care is. That's why I do my own lawn. Besides, it appears no one does it to my satisfaction except me!

    I bought some peppermint to replace what I killed last year. I have vinca vine ground cover in my front flower bed, but it can also get out of hand.

    You have some amazing pottery, Kathy, I like that juicer. And I LOVE the mug. Your lemonade sounds delicious. I bet it is great after a hard workout with your weed wacker.

    Thanks for sharing your irises that you saved, your lemonade, your juicer, and your mug of decaf with us for T this Tuesday, dear Kathy. And thanks again for the postcard!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping your shoulder heals soon-hugs. good to know that vinca is a perennial-my friend said it was an annual but I thought it looked like it could winter over.
      this is one of my favorite pottery pieces-so beautiful-all of the flowers are cut into the pottery. Happy T

      Delete
    2. If the vinca is an annual, it comes back every year in my front garden (grin). It/mine gets little blue flowers in spring.

      Delete
  9. Hi Kathy, beautiful photos of the lake and gorgeous Irises, lovely colour too.
    I do miss Rhubarb, just can't get it to grow here, too hot I think, Rhubarb crips sounds delicious.
    Happy T Day
    Jan S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had trouble growing the rhubarb too here in Missouri with the very hot summers. needs to grow in shade here I think I used to always have a rhubarb plant when I could have a veggie garden. Happy T

      Delete
  10. I enjoy your gardening posts. Such lovely flowers, and it looks like you're finding great options! Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, yes I keep looking for more perennials happy T

      Delete
  11. Hi Kathy. I would rather weed myself than have someone come in and mess up my garden. And in just a couple of days my weeds have gone crazy. ARGH! Your irises look amazing. It's great they're growing by the water. They will spread too I bet because they do love wet feet for sure. And I love your coffee mug too. I love a great pottery mug; too bad they have gotten so expensive. Hope you're having a wonderful T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we so needed rain and we are getting some finally, I have one more section that needs weeded. we are looking at different colors of the iris's to buy to place in other areas on our rock lake front-they are happy flowers.
      I bought most of my handmade pottery pieces in the '70 through the '90s where they were much more affordable for sure. Happy T

      Delete
  12. The flowers are so pretty. I hope they do well for you this season. Lemonade and Limoncello sound so refreshing and to sip outside while watching the comings and goings on the lake. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree perfect for enjoying while watching the boats. by next year most of the work should be done in these garden areas-except for maintenance Happy T

      Delete
  13. Wow, you have had a productive week. That must feel so good. Your garden is going to look so lovely. I am impressed with those lilies. They are beautiful. They are obviously in their element.
    Your limoncello sounds delightful. I have never made it although I have lived in Italy so many years.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisca, yes things are taking shape here finally with the gardens. should be really pretty next year. we love these water iris's I am looking to buy some different colors to plant across our lake front. Happy T

      Delete
  14. Our mother's day is in March here, so I always forget about the one this month. The hyssop is loved by bees and butterflies, you will have loads. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome that is what I am aiming for-bees butterflies and hummingbirds thank you

      Delete
  15. I hope you will have more success with these Agastache plants, Kathy. They are beautiful flowers. I used to have them in my garden, but since they are rather short-lived perennial and most of them aren't native to California I don't pant them anymore. But they might be great for your area. When they flower they are quite stunning. But why do you buy your plants on eBay? Aren't there any local nurseries where you live?

    ReplyDelete
  16. So lovely to see the lake again and those iris are so beautiful, they look perfect by the water 😊. The lemonade looks very refreshing, perfect for the sunshine we've been enjoying here of late. Take care and happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Jo, these iris are sooo pretty down by the lake-I just ordered a couple in different colors. The fresh lemonade was sooo good. Happy mid week hugs

      Delete
  17. You always keep yourself so busy! Your irises are beautiful! We had some beautiful weather and last night frost and it is only 32 right now. Brrrr just when i got my porch all ready for morning coffee oh well it will get warmer. I love lemon cello I have never made it perfect after a meal. Your baking sound pretty yummy as well.
    I am just getting back into reading blogs after a very long week.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes we need time off from blogging for a bit to catch up with things.
      we had a late frost here too, I think we should be safe now but I keep an eye on the temps til just after memorial day just in case. I will post the recipe for lemoncello easy to make and really good

      Delete
  18. OOhh Kathy, you have been very very busy working at your garden. But, The flowers are so beautiful, specially the iris ones. Your garden will look wonderful I´m sure. So good you could make limonade. This pot is super beautiful too. I wish you a very nice Friday and great weekend.
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caty, the Iris's were so pretty and large this year-after I dug them all up and divided them up. they are just about at their end of blooming now Happy Friday and weekend to you as well-hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit