Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Little Darning-Weaving Looms & Craft Catch Up

 Have any of you used one of these little darning-weaving  looms?

    I had never seen or heard of these before, so when I did I looked around the net and settled on this one. Thought better to start with a small loom first and usually mending socks or jeans etc a small size would be nicer to use for mending too.

  There are soooo many different ones of these to choose from, some include many items and some have no extras-for almost the same price too. In comments on all of them-no instructions are included. I did find several you tube videos, including this one

Here is a photo of the one I just ordered-for the price it is a nice size and included lots of other items  I found this one on Amazon. I also like that they had the pink cat tool to pack in the warp threads, most kits did not have that. I didn't need the threads but this little kit came with everything. I have a favorite wool sock that I use for slippers (they have little rubber llamas on the bottoms) around the house that I will try first.




  I have been thinking of the little bags I had cut out last year from my hand dyed fabrics. I have such a difficult time getting patterns on to the cloth for the stitching. So it has been sitting awhile so I don't get myself too frustrated.  I found someone that has a shop on Etsy with mending stitch patterns that are on soluble stabilizer fabric. Will give that a go and see how it works. They were half off but still too expensive so hoping I can trace these patterns onto another soluble stabilizer before I stitch with them  Hoping that will work as I have never used a soluble stabilizer before. Have any of you worked with this product before?

  Last week I also had a major break through moment with my spinning. I finally just stopped and said my yarn is not improving-I am doing something that is not right.  So I looked for a you tube video and finally found one that explained what I was doing wrong. after all these years and lots of yarns spun-it was really a Wow moment.  Does that happen to you too-finally get something figured out?

   Today I finally got all the plants I purchased into the garden, and I also planted zinnias and marigolds that I grew in the bottles.  It is very hot out there after 11 am so had to stop. I did get another large area weeded and I found the goldenseal plants I planted last year spring but the bloodroot did not survive. I may order more of those-will be good for dyeing.

  I am really enjoying Instagram-I can just scan through photos of all the things I am interested in-Yellowstone Park, birds, weaving, spinning, nature and more.


  


33 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, great activities of yours, the kits look interesting. Look forward to your gardening too. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. norton is blocking me from seeing your blog-sadly there is a way for you to fix that but sorry I forgot how to do that have to tell google you site is safe

      Delete
  2. I am not sure if your loom is the same my neighbor has. She makes lovely pot holders in various designs and very colorful. I’ll like to try making some but right now I just don’t have enough time. I’d like to see the results you achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks for stopping by no this is totally different than the pot holder looms-which are very fun to use I still have a vintage one of those. this little loom is used for mending torn clothing

      Delete
  3. you never want for projects you are always into something else I am amazed at your talents. So glad you figured out your spinning and are happy with it.
    no I have not used the water soluble stabilizer but have seen it used a lot on line.
    You always seem to accomplish so much I am lucky to get dressed and out of the house to do one thing.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do bounce around allot-haha keeps things interesting-it took me forever to figure out the spinning super happy about that

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I like it better than fb for sure not on there much any more I use the messenger service on fb for a few friends since we don't use smart phones

      Delete
  5. You have been wildly productive! Isn't youtube great? I swear you can learn anything there. The loom intrigues me. Just the other day I noticed one of my favorite socks had a little hole in the toe. Most of the time, I'll just turn them into dust rags but I really like those socks and for the first time thought about how in the world do you darn a sock? Maybe you have an answer for me here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learn allot of new things on you tube too-they do censor conservatives all the time but at least they haven't messed with crafts and art yet.
      I am anxious to try this out you could google search how to darn a sock too-that round ball if for that too

      Delete
  6. Kathy I tried it on my computer and it works. I pass the link again https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/3960858862305974483/2275240300723650521

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a darning kit like that before. New to me, but I would never be able to darn because of my lack of pinch grip.

    I was given a sheet of 4 inch square water soluble stabilizer to try. The project I tried was to cover the entire area with machine stitching. Since I have no feed dogs that drop, I sewed in circles, then back and forth and left to right. When every bit of the square was covered with thread, I popped it in some warm water and allowed it to sit for 20 minutes. You can tell when all the stabilizer has been removed because all the gooey "glue" is now in the water and the piece is finished and ready to remove. I hand washed the piece which reminded me of a piece of lace. My experience would be different from yours, but the results would be the same. Very warm water for 20 minutes and the stabilizer is dissolved in the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-thats what I liked about this that it rinses away soaked in water-I will see if I can draw on it-hoping so

      Delete
  8. this is so strange-it takes me own list of posts here on blogger-I don' t know computers so don't know what is happening-sorry

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kit looks complicated to me, being not savvy about weaving. Break through moments renew life.
    I remember at 19 years realizing my parents were people before I was born. It changed my outlook in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the video I posted was really excellent on how to work this little loom-hoping it is easy to figure out I am not always good with that. ( I replied back with email too)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you've been so busy and had so much fun too. Loving that darning kit although I'm not sure I'd have the patience and your weaving sounds fab 😊. Nice that your garden/yard is taking shape, all the flowers and plants will look so beautiful. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, Yes I have been, working on getting the gardens in order getting close-ordered a plant that I lost over the winter and also bloodroot plants-they grow in the woods here and are great for dye too they need shade.
      take care my friend hugs

      Delete
  11. You've introduced me to glass pens and now darning looms. These are new for me. I'm curious about these; I think because of the name darning. Would you use them to darn something like socks? Sorry I'm a little late visiting but this week has gotten away from me. Hope yours is going well. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this little loom is new to me too but I have read they have been around for a long time. the video is a really good one on how these work. yes you can use this little loom to darn a sock-it's like weaving a little patch over the hole.
      I have gotten lots of gardening done-still a bit more to do but now with my weed eater I am working on getting the grass cut-we got a little rain today too
      have a good rest of your week hugs

      Delete
  12. It seems there is no end to what can be learned by watching YouTube. It’s great! Your energies amaze me. We got some rain today; perfect timing for the new little seedlings popping up. I hope your gardens are getting some too. Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Mary, Yes you tube is pretty amazing for learning new things.
      We have been getting a little rain too-most things planted now and weeded. I saved the area where I seem to get poison ivy last for weeding-long gloves and rubber gloves on top for that this year. I started weed eating the grass here too-got a bunch done now will try to finish between the rains

      Delete
  13. Aaaah Kathy i have not used any of the things you mentioned... except for a little crocheting i have not ventured into anything sewing or weaving related.. But i do know that 'ah-ha' moment when you finally figure something out in crafting etc.. lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels great doesn't it to finally figure something out-this just took me way too long to figure it all out

      Delete
  14. Kathy so glad you found a helpful you tube video with making your yarn. I so admire all the creative pursuits you do. Like you I have been weeding. Was glad for some rain to soften the ground. Makes those weeds give way so much easier :)!! Hope you have a wonderful day sweet friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Debbie, we are getting a little rain now-yes easier to pull weeds-hugs have a good friday and weekend

      Delete
  15. I haven't used one of these, but I like the cat shape! - Anne (Cornucopia)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a happy thing that you figured out something! I have bloodroot. It's a pretty plant-I love the leaves too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra-it was for sure-hugs It grew wild at our woods home-it is a pretty plant, I have a little shady spot that it should grow well in with the goldenseal

      Delete
  17. I´ve never heard of that! It looks very complicated, too!
    You do so much, I look forward to you hopefully sharing what you did with it all!
    Hugs to you and the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kathy! Oh I've had Wow moments years later too lol! I'm glad you found a better way! That darning kit looks complicated to me!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit