Sunday, August 21, 2022

Sunday Post-Lake Views Butterflies & Grilling

  Hello Friends,

    I think I will be popping in on Sundays for a post.

   Wow, we can't get over how very very busy it is on the lake today. Usually Friday late and most of the day on Saturdays are bonkers, but today (Sunday) it is beyond bonkers out there.

  The weather is perfect, not too hot but full sunshine. Thinking some are enjoying the day before school begins. Next week will be craziness with the shootout race boats which raises money for charities, and the following Labor Day weekend-which I expect to be total craziness. It does make me nervous with the loud noises and too close to our boat and dock.

  Today, for our main meal at 2 pm I decided to fire up our charcoal weber grill. I made up foil packets again lined inside with parchment paper and filled up with veggies. Mini potatoes cut in half, sweet peppers, onions, fresh mushrooms, zucchini, bok choy chunks, and small tomato halves.

  I decided to grill up chunks of chicken breast for faster hot grilling. I spiced it heavily with Mrs. Dash (no salt) lemon pepper For dipping we mixed a ground mustard with Bunster's mildly hot honey which was eucalyptus honey infused with hot peppers. That went perfectly with the grilled chicken.  I don't remember if I shared this company with you before. I buy it online but if you live in or near a large city you may find their hot sauce products. They are available in other countries as well. All natural products only are bottled up. Made in Australia-we love their hot sauces.

  Those plants in front are calendula, I only had a few seeds that made it from a big down pour we had a few months ago-I have been harvesting the flowers, drying them now, and will use them in my handmade soap-I love calendula soap-so nice for the skin.



I made up three different veggie packets and then served them all together in a bowl


A couple days ago I made up a big jar of my Grandma's 3 Bean Salad-I used Splenda in place of the sugar, and I used avocado and a little olive oil.


  I am noticing that during the hottest part of the day is when I see the butterflies on my perennials that I planted for them. Early mornings though I see the hummingbirds enjoying the flowers-makes me happy.

  I haven't been able to get a good photo of a butterfly with it's wings open til today.


  A couple days ago though, there were several different types of butterflies including a couple monarchs-I was Sooo excited to see them. Wasn't able to get good photos, but my perennial garden is in full bloom now except for the pineapple mint-which is huge but still no little red flowers as of yet. You can see the petunias are still doing well as is the lemongrass plant. I need to cut and dry more of those lemongrass leaves


This butterfly plant was really tiny when I planted it this spring To the right is the last of  Larry's Grandpa's shallots that he brought back from Israel, they don't seem to like this Missouri soil, so far they like their new home here.


Behind the zinnia, is orange mint that has gone crazy-I will dig some of this up this early fall and plant it for ground cover in other areas. The chocolate mint has gone crazy too. I think different mints will make great ground covers-so wanting to get rid of the grass here.

  
     The large bushy plant in back is the pineapple mint. It always amazes me how large it will grow from such a tiny plant. It is an annual. I have been waiting for the red flowers to appear.


Lake views this past week

  The reflections on the water were amazing one morning early and you can see the boat is on the new lift, now to get this dock finished.









This morning-early



We both loved the espresso dark chocolate keto churned ice cream I had made, so last week I churned up another batch.  Will be serving it up tonight


Happy new week 

28 comments:

  1. Kathy, I really liked what you cooked today, it's very healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do cook healthier than most. My husband is a heart patient and has diabitis so I no longer use sugar, and we eat mostly poultry, fish, and lean pork very little beef any more

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, neat that you make your own soap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I do enjoy making soap-I don't use lye but use a high quality melt and pour that has all natural ingredients in it-then I infuse herbs in soap and add that in-makes really nice creamy soap

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a lovely Sunday. Our lake is pretty quiet -- I think people are headed back; perhaps some schools start before Labor Day. But it's all good. Love your summer images -- they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you, the schools here start pretty soon. I was surprised how busy it was on sunday as usually sundays are pretty quiet

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks good Kathy. It's nice to have flowers in August. And that ice cream sounds yummy. Funny the lake is so crowded now. I would have thought earlier in the summer it would have been busier, unless now that gas prices are down compared to July is bringing out moe boats. Have a great new week Kathy-hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika, I am thinking they are trying to get the last of summer in these coming weekends into labor day. and the weather was perfect today too not in those 100's plus humidity. Happy new week

      Delete
  5. Your garden is really beautiful with all blooms. Pineapple mint is new to me. The morning lake view is just stunning. Lucky you, Kathy, living in such a wonderful environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, I am really enjoying all the flowers this month.
      We lived in the woods for 20 years when we first retired, and then Larry thought it would be nice to live on the lake for the rest of our retirement-I do enjoy the views and all the birds there are deer and wild turkeys nearby too

      Delete
  6. Sad your lake is so busy.
    Last years it was neighbor´s garden right in front our balcony, screaming non stop from kids, parents hance shouting... a pain!
    This year.. too hot? No sould outside (but me, in peace).

    Hmmm... nothing better (but a fire) than charcoal grills!
    You make me hungry! And I have to go! (Grocery shopping, very low prices)

    Never heard of Mrs. Dash! Will keep my eyes open - but Germany is always behind. We got oli to spray only a couple of years ago - saw them 2006 in Australia and we still have no self-raising flour!!!

    Calendula you can buy here, though, I love it but reckon yours is much better! Aka not full of chemical by-products...

    Apart from your mail-butterflies I still saw none... and never have I seen a hummingbird. And lemongrass, chocolate, pineapple mint ... you live in botanical heaven by the lake!!!
    To a happy new week, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting you don't have the spray oils available-we have lots of choices here-I never liked Pam it leaves a bad film on the pan-but there are organic and natural olive oil sprays that I use allot. Mrs. Dash is a great product-all herbs and spices with no salt-perhaps you can buy online??
      I never used self-rising flour-as you need a recipe that calls for that flour too with the additional rising agents included.
      I really love calendula, so nice for the skin, as soon as I get a bloom I have been picking it to dry for later.
      we have allot of mint choices here in the states-so many to choose from-the chocolate mint is wonderful. Our wolf Nikita loved chocolate, she would eat my chocolate mint leaves-haha.
      Happy new week Iris-hugs

      Delete
  7. Good to see you!!! Glad you decided to post! I'm up early to walk this morning.. enjoying my coffee this morning before i go.. Well not much of our rain panned out.. We had a few sprinkles yesterday and another chance late this morning, early afternoon..

    All your food looks so good Kathy as do all your plants.. With hubby's shop built now i hope to indulge in some plants soon.. I KNOW i want to plant daffodils this Fall.. if i do nothing else i want to do that.. I'd also love to get my hands on some Surprise Lillies or Naked Ladies and see if i can get them to grow here.. I can't get too crazy yet but i do believe some bulbs are in my near future.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, I like posting on Sundays especially so will continue with that for sure.
      I think bulbs will be perfect-I want to pick up more for fall planting too. Hoping I can get more gardening accomplished this fall-but we have allot going on with doctors for Larry the next couple of months. one day at a time I remind myself.
      so hoping you would get a good rain. here all the rain got taken out of the forecast -I will need to water the flowers tomorrow for sure.
      happy new week-hugs

      Delete
  8. You really get a lot done in your week, I'm thinking your weeks might have more days than mine! Sorry about the boat traffic on the lake, hope all goes well and that they don't damage your deck or boat. Your food looks delicious, Your garden has really flourished well, too. Have a great, new week Kathy, take care and stay safe, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, I have really been enjoying this garden very much this month especially, hopefully I can get more planted next year spring or perhaps this fall will see what happens. I need to get out on the grill more-I will do more this fall when it's cooler. We had no idea about all this boat traffic here where we are. we do get awesome views though. thanks happy new week

      Delete
  9. Your flowers and grill area are so pretty! Your cooking always looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great post, Kathy! I love your grilling area along the rock wall. How wonderful your plants look. I am remembering all the hard work you did to create this special area. I have been using your grilling packet idea of using parchment paper inside foil. It works well in the oven too. One would never guess that that peaceful and beautiful lake could go so completely bonkers. Well calmer times are definitely ahead. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary I am happy you like the foil packets too-and I think the parchment paper inside helps protect them from burning on the grill too. I can see this will be a noisy week here with the speed boats practicing up and down the lake. they are cool to watch though-happy new week hugs

      Delete
  11. Dear Kathy,
    grilled food is delicious, we love that too - and my husband loves hot sauces. (Not so much myself, I like it a little spicy, but if it half burns my tongue, it's too strong for me ;-))
    Lovely, all your butterfly-friendly plants - how good that the insects in your garden feel at home. That's how it should be! I hope it doesn't get TOO loud and busy on the lake!
    All the best,
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/08/mallorca-reisebericht-teil-5-tag-9-bis.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same-it must be a Mild hot sauce haha. My husband likes it hot too. I am really pleased with this garden I started allot of it from seed or very small nursery plants this spring. It's loud already out there with the speed boats practicing enjoy your week

      Delete
  12. Last year I made veggie packets in my chiminea, but I prefer to cook them on my grill, too.

    I LOVE that flower garden. You have a real winner and so nice it attracts all kinds of butterflies, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always liked these veggie packets too-cooks well and easy clean up too. Thank you so much-the garden is soooo pretty this month. hugs

      Delete
  13. Delicious food and your garden is looking so beautiful with the flowers and the butterflies.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, I am really happy with this new space I created too-the goal is to get rid of a lot of grass here-so enjoy seeing the butterflies and hummingbirds on the flowers too

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit