Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Mid Week Post

    Hello Friends,

  I was able to get something checked off my list today (Tuesday). I had bought everything for an oil and filters change for my old mountaineer suv quite awhile ago. The person that was going to do it for me never followed through so I made an appointment with a small auto business not too far from us.  My car is really old, but it was an expensive one in it's prime-I bought it used from a friend. It's done me well for many years now. So for $15.00 she did the oil change and two filter change (with my products), checked and aired my tires for me and I asked her to check out all the belts to make sure ok.  

   I had been putting this off as I just didn't know where to go. Here in Missouri we have to get a vehicle inspection every couple years so I used them for that last year and liked them. They have a lady mechanic that did my car. I was happy with myself getting this done. haha  I am realizing the older we get the slower we are at stuff like this.

  I decided to go on into town for a couple errands and stopped at the sav a lot store. I needed to pick up a few things before the holiday weekend and really didn't want to drive the other direction to the small Wal mart store.   While I was gone this morning we had friends that came up from the woods house area to help Larry with the dock project. They got quite allot done before it got too hot.

  It has been soooo quiet here with the speed boats gone here is the link to the boat that went the fastest. 207 MPH  I watched it live on tv-we have a lake channel with our tv package. The link has a photo and video. The race was cut short on Sunday as a big storm moved in with lightening around noon. We didn't get much here where we live-which is about 30 minutes from that event.

and here is a link to a mishap at the end of the race, I missed this when I was watching-they race these boats too which I think is crazy-but the driver fell out of the boat and wasn't wearing the device to cut the engine The driver was safe



 Those of you in the States-any plans for Labor Day Weekend?? It will start getting busy here again probably Thursday.  I decided to make baby back ribs for us and the couple we met recently. Will also make Larry's Mom's mustard potato salad-his favorite. She will bring a large fruit salad--sounds good. I may look for a from scratch gluten free brownie recipe to bake up Our new friend Mary loves chocolate I have a very dear slow mail friend Mary, so this was a surprise to meet another Mary in person. 

 The cooler early mornings have been so inviting to sit on the deck and listen to the sounds on the lake. Have you noticed there is some insect that is making noise now once it's get dark?-we hear them early mornings too til the sun comes up. This just started-a sign of Fall approaching??

  Larry's old digital camera takes better photos with the reds than mine does These are before sunrise one day this week.



Below is my photo-my camera changes the red to yellows if the sun is beginning to come up


We have been enjoying the ducks and geese early mornings now too They either swim by or fly by.  We have watched an eagle hunt for fish this week-which is very cool to see


I just uploaded this video I took that early morning when Larry and his new friend went out fishing before sunrise. You will see a closeup of a little hummer.  I had brought the camera down to the hummingbird feeder-but I missed getting the hummer in that frame. The fisherman are in the video too.


  I also wanted to share a new journal book I just received in the mail. Some of you may enjoy visiting Soma too with her lovely art at Ink Torrents Graphics  Her posts have been an inspiration for me.

   I have been looking at her journals-they are handsewn-and wanting to purchase one someday. Well someday came when I saw her post of her carving to print the covers with. Isn't this lovely? And she offers different colors for the cover. Soma also sent samples of the paper so I could test out out my black walnut ink first  before writing in the journal-very thoughtful  


  Today when I was carrying the groceries in from on top of the hill-I spotted a monarch butterfly-that really makes me smile to see the butterflies. Hopefully I can get more planted next spring. Not sure about this Fall for working on the gardens, as we have much to do the next couple of months-doctor visits, and work on getting the woods house ready to sell-finally. covid really messed that up for us.

    Happy Midweek

  



  

21 comments:

  1. Wow, those are beautiful lake photos. No cool temperatures here though- today we hit 97. My yard is full of butterflies, bees and dragonflies. It's so fun to see them and hear all the buzzing too. And no long weekend plans for me. Have a great end of August Kathy. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, we have been cool in the early mornings and then heats up to around 90, hoping no more of those 97 and higher this summer oh that must be so fun to see all the butterflies, bees and dragonflies flying around. I only saw one dragonfly this summer. You have a happy end of august too-hugs

      Delete
  2. We also have a long weekend coming up in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here it's still pleasant weaher, hope it stays without the big heat. The video of the boat was great, it must be hard to catch a runaway boat but they seemed to be practised in getting it stopped. Lovely journa from Soma, she really makes wonderful things. Have a great day, stay safe, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was interesting too how they were able to safely stop the boat, that could have been really bad as there were allot of spectators in boats trying to get off the lake with the storm moving in. Soma does have lovely things. Hoping you don't get those high heat temps hugs

      Delete
  4. It's a good feeling when you get something properly done! Those sunrise photos are really amazing. Continue to enjoy your summer..I can feel the autumn is right at the corner already as we had some rain and the early morning wasn't as warm as last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is for sure. We are really enjoying these early morning views this month, its been cool early too which is nice before it heats back up. I feel a bit of autumn too-can't wait

      Delete
  5. Good morning Kathy!!! Nope no plans for Labor Day... The only Holidays we really do are Thanksgiving and Christmas.. The rest just slip by.. Oh we did lots more when the kids were little but not as adults and most family lives far away.. People around the neighborhood keep to themselves and my hubby is the most out going person you'd ever meet but no friends yet.. Our golf yesterday got canceled RAIN.!!! and more expected this afternoon!!! fingers crossed.. Can you believe it??Its all coming up through Mexico which is highly unusual but we'll take it.. Beautiful pictures kathy... I need to take my phone with me on my morning walk and grab a couple sunrise pictures.. Not feeling Autumn here yet.. thats probably at least a month away.. But this stormy weather has certainly cooled things off a bit.. I have found that a really nice sketch book or journal holds me back from creating.. Silly believe me i know it.. But thats why i use a plain old composition book ... what 99 cents? I almost have one filled and i love it. It hold up to paint, colored pencil and my ink pens.. even with all that the pages lay flat.. I cannot wait to see what you do with your new journal.. i hope you'll share! Happy Labor Day Kathy!!! All your food sounds yummy! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Deb, we don't have family and here just a few friends now but even if only the two of us-I always try to make a special meal for the holidays-that way every day isn't the same-something a little special. It will be nice to have a couple over for Labor day this year.
      Rain that's awesome !! hope you get enough to help out this go around. Yes if you are out walking early you could capture some nice morning shots and sunrises-we love the early morning views here pre sunrise is so soothing here on the lake.
      I agree, no reason to spend allot of money on a journal. This journal was very reasonably priced and I think I will enjoy using it. Her watercolor journals are really really nice but I am not good enough to purchase one of those. Perfect for an artist though. and this one I bought makes me happy I love her carved art that she created and printed for the front.
      Happy Labor Day Deb hugs

      Delete
  6. I love that SHE changed your oil and filter. We like our older model truck because it doesn't have all those electronic features that can be such a pain...and so expensive to repair. I can't imagine riding in a boat traveling 207 mph. I think I will just stick to my side by side at about 15 mph. :~) I am sure those two fishermen in your video are enjoying some early morning fishing; looks so peaceful out there! Your picture of the ducks makes me think I need "to get all of my ducks in a row." :~) I always look forward to your posts. So, it's bye bye August, hello September. I hope your new month gets off to a wonderful start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, Yes She was good I really like her, our friend asked if she did it and I said yes, and that she looks to be in her 20's oh no he says she is in her 30's with three children I will go back to her again for sure-yes my suv is pretty old no gps in it so Larry bought me a portable one-I always get lost haha
      yes the two fisherman enjoyed themselves this morning-so glad Larry can get out early mornings. I am with you 15 mph is perfect for me too in a boat, I wanna go our friend's pontoon boat have never been on way-told him he has to go slow though haha.
      It is really peaceful here in the mornings and most of the days this week too till tomorrow for labor day.
      I am ready for september for sure-hoping you have an awesome september too hugs

      Delete
  7. Such a great compliment! Thank you so much, Kathy!! Your lake photos are gorgeous! Such beautiful and intense colours. Butterflies make me smile too. I love watching them flutter about in the garden. Have a wonderful week!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Soma This week so far it has been quiet-so nice and peaceful that will change this labor day weekend though You have a wonderful week and long weekend too-hugs

      Delete
  8. We stay in for all summer holidays. There are just too many tourist to enjoy anything here. It it starting to feel like fall here too. My garden has turned and I have done almost all of the clean up already. A very strange growing year here. Very short. I am hoping my hard beans will dry out so I can harvest them but it has been very wet here. You live in a very pretty place. Come by and see what I have been canning. Have a very nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit but your comment came in as anonymous so don't know you are are-sigh
      we don't go out any more, I like to cook so I always cook bake etc here at home, and sometimes invite a few friends. since we moved we don't know anyone really except for a couple near us and a Larry met a nice friend from kansas city that stops by.
      wow that's early to be able to clean up your garden, we have had enough rain off and on that my flowers are still blooming, can't grow veggies here so far-too many predators eat everything.
      I would love to see what you are canning-so if you come back give me a link please-I do miss putting up the harvest since we moved to the lake, I always have canned, dehydrated or froze foods. happy mid week

      Delete
  9. Oh, I am so glad I don´t have a car no more!
    Here you have terrible garages, you always wait like forever.
    Glad you found a cheap´n easy solution and friends coming over for help!

    Those speed-boats and their drivers must be crazy.
    My Brother drove a Ninja motorcycle and once took me along.
    We (Ingo and I) had a Harley Davidson, I was used to that "speed". With my Brother I just clung on and closed my eyes, hoping we will "make" it - there was no fun in speeding.

    Can you share the mustard potato salad?
    We have sooooo much mustard - and potatoes!

    53F as I type. Brrrr!

    Beautiful pics, yours and Larry´s!
    And the video, so wonderful!


    Wow, you are busy for sure - and here it´s already Thursday, so - to a great rest of the week, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Iris (early here) I think many of those speed boat racers are crazy too, Larry still has his Harley-that he bought from a box of parts that he put together.-not healthy enough to ride it any more though.sigh
      I am not into speeding either glad you enjoyed the videos we have had some gorgeous early mornings here latel.
      we have been very cool here too early mornngs but then it warms up to the low 90's f
      Yes I will post the recipe soon happy rest of the week for you too hugs

      Delete
  10. One thing I definitely don't miss about MO are those annual safety inspection checks in order to get your car tags. When I got my first KS tag, they did a safety inspection that was even more rigid than MO's. However, that was the only one I needed, at least until I got a different vehicle. When I lived there, we had to get one every year, not every two years.

    Loved the sunrise shots. I always enjoy those. I have plans for Labor Day and it involves me cooking in my chiminea, even if it is supposed to be in the high 90s that day. Have a safe holiday, Kathy. Sounds like you have great plans, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree these inspections are a pain-they talk about getting rid of them but they never do it. So happy you have Holiday plans Elizabet that will be fun cooking in you chiminea we are hot here too and humid sigh Happy holiday weekend-hugs

      Delete
  11. Kathy what a great video of the hummingbird. You live in such a beautiful spot. Hope you and Larry are doing alright. Ugh - doctor visits never are fun!! Take care and don't work too hard. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit