Thursday, July 14, 2022

Time to Grill & Surprise in my Garden & Moon

 Hello my dear online friends,

    Another hot one here on the lake (Lake in the Ozarks Missouri)   Since the boat is in the driveway we are taking the opportunity to give it a good cleaning. The sun is very hot here by 8:30 am already so we are getting ourselves outdoors soon after it gets light.

   I have most of the boat washed down now, even took the rug out and gave it a good sudsy clean, rinsed and should be dry now to get it back in place tomorrow morning.

  Larry with a new found friend worked hard today figuring out how to get the lift out-what a job this has been, since it's broken hard to get the floats up and out, but they did allot today.

  We have discovered the electric to the house is much worse than suspected. We have been here a couple years now so the problems have really showed up now. sigh-so no electric stove on while the washer is on. No dryer on while the washer is on at the same time. Also no laundry being done while the a/c is on-so tomorrow morning early I will get a load in.  No microwave on while the stove is on. etc

  I decided now was the time to bring up the smaller weber grill closer to the house. I have a very large one still next to the fire pit-that one is too heavy for me to move, but the smaller one is perfect for our meals. This small weber grill is at least 30 years old now, probably more. I have replaced the grate twice now, the little heat controls underneath have long been broken off. One leg is almost rotted out-but once in place still works to hold up the grill.  I don't usually grill-bake-cook outdoors during a hot summer, and being our main meal of the day is at 2 pm it's really hot out there-but there is a bit of a shady spot near the front door that I can sit for a bit, and here it's very close to the kitchen.

  So I grilled us hamburgers and made foil packets of onion, wedged potatoes, and and a big handful of frozen green beans. I no longer want my foods touching aluminum foil (allot of cons about that now) so I tore off a piece of parchment to place on top of the foil-and then added the veggies with a little olive oil and ground black pepper. I think the parchment paper kept the foods from sticking and burning too. Although, next time I will let the potatoes get a little more browned.


I also brought up the vintage milk can that was my stool for the floor loom for as long as I can remember-back in the 70's-works out well for a mini table now near the grill


I didn't get the grill marks on the hamburgers as my coals weren't as hot after cooking the veggies in the packets. so they cooked slow and stayed moist.


I added a little slice of horseradish havarti cheese on top of the burgers. There was very little horseradish flavor in this cheese so I didn't mind eating it haha. a very creamy cheese though


Next time I will keep the packets over the hot coals a bit longer, but the veggies were cooked through.


and smores-I actually made these in the microwave as the marshmallows are small stars. I used gluten free cinnamon graham crackers, Lindt dark chocolate, 4 little marshmallows-zap in microwave for about 12 seconds, add the top graham cracker-a perfect evening snack The marshmallow stars were red white and blue with different flavors


and surprise in my garden. I had bought a small bag of Victorian colors of gladiolas last fall-and sadly I caught the squirrels digging them up and eating them. Looks like three have survived-this is the first one that bloomed-gorgeous color


Were you able to view the gorgeous moon? I remembered to look out the wall of windows to the far right to see it rising-Soooo gorgeous. I was able to get a photo with my very old camera.  Once risen it was large and white



Happy Friday and weekend

29 comments:

  1. ...your cooking style go from charcoal to microwave. I have a gas grill and I've thought of making smores in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love smores so one winter I tried the microwave-I set up the bottom cracker-then the chocolate and then the marshmallows-and microwave for a few seconds til you know how long-and then put the top on-they come out really good-not charred of course but melts nicely

      Delete
  2. Oh i DID see the moon ! It was drop dead gorgeous!!! The color! beautiful! You got a great pic.. I'll show my pic Tues maybe .. not so great! We had storms come close yesterday and cooled us down anyway ...no rain but a few sprinkles.. BUT this morning is only 67degrees!! Haven't seen 60's in quite a while! Great morning for walking.. Your food looks yummy.. Thanks for the reminder of foil packets.. use to make us fish that way.. i need to do that.. Gladiolas are my favorite flower.. One Anniversary Hubby found a bouquet of purple ones for me... Glorious! Take care ! Stay cool! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Deb, so glad you got to view the moon-It was amazing for sure. Once the red moon rose a bit a gorgeous red streak in the lake-my camera couldn't get that-as it got higher and turned white noticed it was much brighter too.
      a cool down is awesome, sorry the rain missed you-that would be difficult to grow anything there with such little rain.
      Oh wow how special your husband found a bouquet of gladiolas-those would last a long time too.
      Hugs my friend

      Delete
  3. This is my kind of eating! I like the parchment paper idea. I think you could cook up something delicious on the end of a stick! I wonder if I could do so well on my old Weber. Those electrical issues are going to be a pain these hot hot days. I love those gorgeous glads! Mary @ Hilltop post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I liked using the parchment paper inside the foil too-the idea just came to me when I was putting the packets together. I think it really helped from burning the food inside too.
      yes we knew the electric was bad, but hubs has been trying to get this dock finished and now the work on the lift-always something I will look for more glads this year to plant, this pink one is really pretty Happy Friday and weekend

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. thank you Christine-they were really good, we'll have the other two today

      Delete
  5. Great shot of the moon! I do not do much with aluminum foil it is not good. Gad you got a couple of the flowers. So sorry all the issues with the boat and your electricity sounds a bit scary.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I only use it for grilling and now I add the parchment paper inside around the food. the electric does sound scary to me too

      Delete
  6. I missed the moon because we had clouds and then rain that night. It was too bad because I heard how big it was going to be. Sounds like you've been busy, and wow, that electric doesn't sound good. We're on a well and have iron bacteria, so we have to monitor our water usage because the water system takes time to remove the iron. I have to spread out laundry and showers and any other big water usage. It's always something, isn't it? Have a great weekend and stay cool. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes living rural is challenging sometimes sorry you missed the moon

      Delete
  7. Love your photo of the moon, Kathy. We had cloud cover here for several nights, so we missed it. Your electrical issues must be so frustrating, but you're making lemonade out of lemons. Your food looks so delicious, especially the s'mores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, and thanks for visiting too. the moon was amazing I have been enjoying the smores for night snack-smiles

      Delete
  8. I had never heard of not cooking in foil packets before, so checked on the internet. From the various sites I visited, it is not something to really worry about if you do it occasionally. However, they do not recommend cooking a potato in foil, since it's just an added waste of money and product you don't need. I suspect to be on the safe side, add the parchment paper like you did to the food packets.

    I saw the moon for a few minutes when the clouds broke, but that was it. Nice you got a lovely moon shot.

    Really lovely gladiolas, Kathy. Glad the squirrels left some at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grew up using foil when grilling, but I have for many years now not used it much-unless I line with the parchment paper which works out well for cooking. we were fortunate to see the moon here-too awesome

      Delete
  9. Oh no to your electricity! I think here this could not happen - I hope at least!!!! We live here over 10 years now already, too. But then Ingo studied this stuff, so I feel safe.
    Boy oh boy. You really have to make decisions - sorry, but your way of writing made me giggle ;-)
    Seems like you failed to send the heat over. Way too cold here still. 64F at lunchtime.
    Your burgers and veg look great!
    And ohhhh, the moon! Thank you for sharing and hugs from... brrrr....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these rural areas didn't have much in laws for building things. we knew the electric needed upgrading but it is so much worse than he realized. sorry the heat seems to be stuck here in the ozarks this summer. the moon was spectacular hugs

      Delete
  10. Great idea to grill Kathy. The burgers look so yummy, great choice with the Havarti! The photo of the moon is gorgeous! It's been overcast the last few nights, but we have sunny days in store for a few days so my eyes will be up in the sky tonigh! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous gladiola! Quite a treat to see some bulbs were missed.

    Imagine all the foil we used back in the day! I shutter to think what it did to us, even worse our children. I now use partchment paper instead of cooking spray or oil.
    Your electric, I hope you can get it fixed. It gives new meaning to roughing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to see a few of the bulbs made it too-one more pink one and a white one beginning to bloom. we used allot of foil back in the day, they still sell allot of it. I do like to use it for grilling certain foods but I use the parchment paper too that touches the food.
      Once the old lift gets out-a huge job, and the new one comes in, and getting the dock finished-we'll work on the electric

      Delete
  12. Hi Kathy - catching up on your posts...your weber grill made me smile because we use our old one too. They just keep on cooking :). Sorry to read about your electric...hope you can get it fixed so it is a bit more convenient for you. It is finally raining here and so thankful because the garden really needs the moisture. P.S. bet that horseradish cheese was the perfect topping for those burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, yes I look at the electric as an inconvenience right now that we can work around. so glad you got rain we seem to get a good rain about every 2 weeks this summer-so things get a good soaking this was a really good cheese very creamy. I don't care for horseradish so for me it was good I couldn't taste any haha

      Delete
  13. Wow, that red moon is breathtaking! So sorry to hear about your electric, I hope it gets sorted soon. Your grilled burgers look so yummy, we had a BBQ grill over at my sister's this week, such fun 😀. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo yes watching the moon rise from the edge of the lake was really something to see-so large too. I agree frilling is fun and good eats-smiles- glad you were able to spend time with family-hugs

      Delete
  14. beautiful garden and the moon is stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I was so happy I could view the moon really special

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit