Monday, November 16, 2020

Homemade Kahlua

    Now that I am baking up Christmas Fruitcakes this week, I decided to make up a double batch of Kahlua since I had all the ingredients.

   I used to make this and gift the bottles around the holidays, it's good in coffee, or over ice cream or even a splash over pound cake.  I also like to make a drink with it once in awhile with a shot of the kahlua in half and half or any milk you prefer over ice.

  I make a double batch otherwise for the effort you don't get much. Almost 40 years ago now we had a friend that drank beer in those glass bottles with the re useable cork on top-so we asked him to save us the bottles. So the few that I have left now I re use for us.


I ended up with some foam in the bottles so waiting for that to settle before I cork the bottles-will label with the date and take down to the canning jar pantry in the basement and let it age at least a month-this gets better with a couple years of aging  One could skim this foam off but I want to get as much in the bottles as I can. Below is a double batch-7 bottles


The recipe was given to us from my husband's cousin

Kahlua-homemade from cousin Janice

5 cups sugar

3 cups water

10 tablespoons good quality instant coffee

4 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/5 bottle of vodka-or 2 2/3 cups

In a tall heavy pan-combine the water, sugar, coffee. Stir til dissolved and comes to a boil-do NOT walk away from this pan because as it gets toward the simmer and boil it will rise with the foam and overflow everywhere.-Not Good 😀

   Let cool down to lukewarm or cooler-I fill up the sink with the cold water and set the pan in the water and stir-saves allot of time.  Once cooled add the vanilla extract and the vodka-stir and bottle.

Best to age at least a month.

My changes over the years do to our health issues. 

for the sugar I use half sugar and half splenda and I use decaf. instant coffee since I can't have caffeine any more.

Enjoy!!

22 comments:

  1. We love Kahlua. Thank you for the recipe! Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good Kathy! Haven't heard of kahlua before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good-to buy it very expensive and this tastes pretty close to the real thing

      Delete
  3. Homemade Kahlua sounds wonderful, thanks for the recipe.
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kahlua and all the drinks with coffee. I am not good in making drinks but this recipe seems easy. I will try it. Thank you, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of homemade kahlua, but what a fun thing to make. This is a really different T day post. That is what is so cool about T day isn't it? I hope you'll enjoy it. I may have to try it myself. Have a great T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really good recipe have made it off an on for many years-great for gift giving too

      Delete
  6. I bet it smells good! The bottles are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I started making because it is pretty expensive to buy in the stores

      Delete
  8. What a great recipe! Thanks Kathy. Kahlua is so expensive and we can't find it locally.I will certainly give this a go.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to make this years ago. Might have to give it a try this year. Doing baskets of canned foods and handmade things this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure how I missed this, but I may try making this. I'll need to buy sugar, vodka, and instant coffee, but it sounds like something even I can make. I have REAL vanilla extract from Mexico, which will add to the authenticity. Unfortunately, I only have ONE of those jars like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, this is really an excellent recipe do you have any friends that drink wine with the screw top lids? those work too-just bigger bottles

      Delete
  11. You have been busy this week with all your recipes! Looks and sounds delicious 😉. Take care! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit