Monday, July 20, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday & Canning

Happy Tuesday everyone-which brings us together for T with friends at our hostess' blog Bleubeard and Elizabeth.
   You are most welcome to join us just post a photo with your drink reference.

 I had it on my mind that I wanted to can some fruit this year.
    Our Wal mart store (which sad to say is the cheapest store for groceries-though I would prefer to use a more local store)  still has mostly bare shelves for canned goods.
   When we first moved to Missouri back in 2003 there was an older couple that would drive down to the boothill-or southern area of Missouri where they have fertile growing land-and bring back peaches, apples and melons.  After several years he stopped doing it, thinking probably do to his age and perhaps health.
   So for awhile I would order from an amish store in Leadmine, Mo  but that was an hour drive each way. Now at the lake house there is a large Mennonite community in Versailles area which is about 30 minutes from me-not bad for living rural.  I went Saturday morning she had just gotten in Georgia peaches for canning, and she had out their own farm grown canning tomatoes.
   I ended up with 26 pints of canned tomatoes from a $11.00 box-not bad. It worked out .44 cents each pint plus the cost of the canning lid (which are getting expensive now), a little lemon juice in each jar, and the cost of the electric. I am figuring each pint was still at a cost below a dollar. so was pleased.  They were not as bright red as some years-thinking do to our hot weather with no rain but was glad to have these in the pantry.
   The peaches-well they were the worse peaches I have ever bought to can-they were like those store bought peaches that never ripen but just rot away. These were also mushy and stringy. I canned 6 jars-and decided no more. The peaches also were not freestone-so the pit would not come out without cutting it out. Just not good. and I have been canning almost every year for over 50 years now. I was greatly disappointed
   So I called the market, since we were having storms Monday morning and she apologized and offered a new box or refund-I chose the refund since I paid with a credit card. So will keep an eye out for the refund.  I may drive back again soon to see if she got a new batch in that are nicer.
   I have always made salsa-enjoy doing it-but since right now I would have to buy everything-the peppers, tomatoes, and onions not a cost savings
  I would like to locate some pears to can.


Yesterday (Sunday) I canned 16 pints and this morning (Monday) I finished up with 10 more

  I have to tell ya-this was a new experience canning on this little electric stove when I am used to my 10 burner professional gas Wolf stove.  There was no room for it here at the lake house-I really miss it-I would fill two large pressure canners on that big stove. and be done with a huge batch of canned jars in a day.




     It is really difficult to find Strong Bow hard cider nearby. We used to buy it at Sam's club but they are just too far away now.  The local grocery store near us has a huge liquor department better choices than many liquor stores I have been in. She had the bottles of Strong Bow so I asked if she gets the cans in with the different flavors. She said you know this comes from Scotland? (I didn't know that) and said she tries to at least keep the bottles in stock.
   So when I went there for some fresh salad fixins I checked to see what else she had for hard cider and she was carrying this brand
     I was not familiar with-It is gluten free and small batch made. I chose the pear-it was really delicious  So this is my drink reference for T



I don't have any art to share today. Hope you have an awesome new week and Happy T

39 comments:

  1. Wow, kudos for canning those tomatoes and peaches, well done. We have no shortage of canned goods here. Sorry the peaches were not up to standard, and hope you soon find some good ones. But good that you can get a refund, that's fair.Enjoy your cider, I used to enjoy drinking cider in England when I lived there. Happy T Day, look after yourself and stay safe. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, I was happy to get these tomatoes in the pantry, I had two jars left. Yes I was happy she offered the refund.
      You take care of yourself too too-

      Delete
  2. This was wonderful to read about the tomatoes and peaches, Kathy. I confess, I know absolutely NOTHING about fruit, except bananas. You taught me that the Freestone type has the pit that comes out easily. I always wondered why some peaches I buy have pits that come out easily, and some have flesh still hanging on the pit. Now I know. Thanks for sharing your hard cider for T this Tuesday, Kathy. It's another thing I have never had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Elizabeth-I had learned about freestone when buying peaches-so much easier to can with-one could get perfect halves that way

      Delete
  3. Your canning is really impressive!

    We finally have local tomatoes, and they are wonderful. I think that if one used them for canning the end result would be more expensive than even the fanciest imported tomatoes from Italy, but they are great to eat raw or very slightly cooked. I know what you mean about those inferior peaches!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, we have always had a large garden so I would freeze, can and dry. I would only buy fruits mostly to can-liked having home canned pears and peaches, and frozen berries etc. we live in a much smaller place now with very little land-so it's quite different now.

      Delete
  4. How dispapointing about the peaches- and especially knowing how long you have been canning and enjoying it! I have only canned refrigerator pickles and TBH that's enough for me. I love home canned goods but don't enjoy making them myself:)
    I'd most likely enjoy the hard cider as there is no sugar added. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. canning is allot of work-but I was raised by my farm girl Mom-even in the city she had an extra lot that she turned into a garden-for canning and freezing-I was born into it haha this cider is really good

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed seeing what you are canning. Canned peaches sound delicious. My MIL and I make salsa every year and I always look forward to it. It seems we never make enough to last the year. We may have to make more this year.
    Enjoy your canned yummies.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Kate, I love making and canning salsa too-it's so good too

      Delete
  6. Good for you to get some canning done. It is so nice to have those fruits of summer once winter comes. And I like pear cider too. It isn't easy to find around here. but when I can I like to drink it as it is refreshing. Have a great T day Kathy and a wonderful start to your week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika, it always feels good to get some canning in. I grew up with it as a child so it just comes naturally still.
      I really love this pear cider too-Happy T

      Delete
  7. I don't can anymore, just too much shifting and lifting. I have a whole lot of apples (see my blog post) to use. I will make and freeze some apple sauce. Maybe freeze an unbaked pie or two. Wish we were closer, I'd share my bounty with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla, yes it is allot of lifting, I can really feel it today too. and my hands get pretty cramped up now too with all the peeling. unbaked pies are nice to have in the freezer-I used to do that. yum-nothing like homemade apple sauce-if we were closer I would you take you up on that-hugs

      Delete
  8. I never canned anything. I put it in the freezer (and forgot to leave a date! Argh!).
    My Granma canned. But she forgot so come 2011 we found heaps of canned cherries from our family tree dated back to the early 70´s. So sad!
    Especially as the tree had died.

    The Cider looks unusual, but yummy! A happy T-day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. home canned goods can last up to 8 years yes this is really good pear cider-

      Delete
  9. I have never done any canning. When my mother had a large garden, she used to make gravy (sauce) with the tomatoes and then freeze them in the large freezer she had in the basement. Too bad about the peaches. My dad made brandy peaches one time, but I don't remember if he had to go through the canning process. I hope you get some relief from the heat. Take care and Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. brandy peaches are good-thanks we got a little rain yesterday morning which helped some

      Delete
  10. I'm glad she took your criticism with good grace :) That'll make it easier dealing with her going forward. Pears would be nice!

    Local is the best, especially with tomatoes. There's just nothing like home-grown local tomatoes, and though I eat the ones from the grocery and like them I recognize what I'm missing. I admire your canning! I've never canned my own anything. Mother did, but she never taught me and I never learned on my own. Yours look delicious. Electric stoves just aren't the same and take getting used to, don't they.

    It's a shame that Walmart is sometimes all there is :( At least they offer a wide variety of goods :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I wasn't sure what to expect-I haven't seen the refund yet so will give her a couple more days
      yes never crazy about electric stoves-but this one does work and it bakes well. this is true living rural usually means wal mart-sigh

      Delete
  11. Wow, you certainly have been busy - all those canned goodies look fabulous 😁. It's lovely that you found somewhere local to get your fruit and that's good service getting the refund too, you can never tell how peaches are going to turn out when you buy them. So great that your cupboards are well stocked again! Take care and wishing you a Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I So Appreciate All Your Efforts - Lovely Peaches As Well - Along About November, Fresh Canned Tomatoes Will Be The Delight Of The Night - Well Done

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. No wonder you didn't get any art done, Kathy! I can imagine what an adjustment you had to make from that beautiful professional stove at the woods house. You got a lot done anyway.

    When our son was young we made jelly and jam together. I also canned dill pickles a few times. The things you do amaze me - in the kitchen as well as in the spinning room.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry things are not as easy for you in your new location, also know how much you miss your stove. But I know you will find a way to make it all work. Beautiful tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we can ever get our woods home on the market and sold I would like to buy a gas stove to replace this electric one-will be better for the pressure canner too.

      Delete
  15. Wow, you seem to enjoy the canning. But it does sound like a lot of work, and then to have such a disappointment. It was good though that they gave you money refund.
    But it does sound to me like a very expensive way of preserving cheap produce. (at least here tomatoes and peaches are very cheap). And buying new lids? Can you not sterilize the ones you have?
    I share your love for Strongbow! We can get it here but it is expensive, and beyond our humble budget. But when we lived in the UK we used to drink it all the time. I've not heard of the other brand you showed. It's good you found a gluten-free and 'no sugar added' drink. Sounds good to me.
    Wishing you a very happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to buy veggies like tomatoes to process-but since I don't have a large garden space any more I decided to buy a box. the lids are a one time use-but the rings are reusable
      I love the strongbow too but am happy to find this one-they also had the apple hard cider too from this company

      Delete
  16. Hi! You've been very busy ~ Sorry to hear about the peaches ~ Glad they will give you a refund! I keep forgetting to mention that I made the cake you gave the recipe for and everyone loved it! send me the link again to your post so next week I will link you to the photo so people can see your recipe again :)
    The hard cider sounds interesting ~ May have to give it a go if I can find it in VA. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you baked up the recipe-I will look that up and give you the link. Yes I really like this cider you have a good week too

      Delete
  17. I admire your canning skills. I haven't canned in years. I used to do bread and butter pickles. But I did a lot of freeing years ago; carrots, cherries, apples, etc. But now, we have a small freezer and there are only two of us, so really not cost effective for us. Even when we buy vegetables and fruit in the smallest amount, we have to hurry to get it eaten! LOL I have learned if I buy potatoes, we have potatoes in every form for acouple weeks! Mashed potatoes, potato salad, potato pancakes, potato scramble egg, etc. A 5 lb bag goes a long ways for us and is the same price if we just bought two single potatoes! Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. t's always been just the two of us-and I always put up lots of canned goods and frozen veggies and fruits. I even made herb vinegars, juices etc. I pretty much grew most of what we consumed for the year of veggies.
      I love potatoes but we are now really watching carbs so I buy those mini potatoes now in a very small bag and just eat them a couple times a month now Happy T

      Delete
  18. This is another of those American/English word swaps! As I was reading I was wondering if you had a special machine for sealing cans, then I saw your photos! I spent years 'bottling' fruit and veg with my Mum using Kilner jars. Along with making jam and pickles- I'm afraid I have never grown enough of my own to justify bottling. Any excesses of food get frozen! You have my full admiration for all of your canning activities!! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Well done on your canning.

    Presently we have no shortages of canned goods here!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit