Saturday, November 17, 2018

Processing Fresh Pie Pumpkins

     Our friend that has a farm up near Green Bay Wisconsin-very north in the state-brought me down some sugar or pie pumpkins last week.
  I was quite excited over these as they are difficult to grow here where I live now in Missouri (the summers are too hot) and they are so good for fresh baked pies and breads, even soups.

   I decided today was the day to do this, and good timing as one pumpkin had gone moldy on me, but the remaining 3 pumpkins were perfect.
   I decided to go ahead and save out the seeds and will roast them tomorrow morning in a very low oven or later on tonight. If you do a google search there are all sorts of similar ways to do this-but the consensus seems to be best in a very low oven-under 200 degrees f and you can toss them with a bit of oil or not, and lightly salt or spice-up to your preference.

    There are also different methods on preparing your pumpkin for baking. I like to use my big steamers-takes allot less energy to do, and they don't dry out. (note: I use oriental aluminum steamers-Hubs had a large one when we met, and I later found a matching smaller one--I love these for veggies)
    I take out the seeds and stringy centers, cut in pieces and place them in my steamers. When nice and soft-let cool, then peel off the skins and put the pumpkin into mixing bowls. I then get out my hand mixer and just blend it all up til smooth. 
   Pies take 2 cups of pumpkin so I measure out 2 cups per freezer bag and then freeze. I ended up with quite allot, and the last one came out to 1 3/4 cups. lol will be good for a bread recipe
   In the past I have wanted to can fresh pumpkin but the USDA says this is a no no for the home canner. They claim do to the thick consistency of the pumpkin-or squash the pressure canner can not get as hot as it needs to in the center of the jars. So I just don't take a chance on that.

Here are a few photos:











This coming week I plan to make a fresh gluten free pumpkin pie for me-I love pumpkin pie, and I also may make gluten free pumpkin rolls for me and I want to make that sourdough pumpkin swirl yeast bread that Erika shared last week.

Do you like to bake, cook with fresh pumpkin and squashes??

13 comments:

  1. Your pumpkin pie pulp looks good. I'm sure you will be making delicious things with this.
    I also use pumpkin seeds when I can get them. Sometimes the Health food shops sell them on offer so I can store them for over the winter. Our favourite addition at the moment is a sprinkle of Soy sauce.
    I hope your husband is recovering from his eye procedure.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne,yes Hubs eye is doing much better today-thanks
      I haven't roasted pumpkin seeds in years-just put them in the oven

      Delete
  2. You have lots of pumpkin to bake with for Thanksgiving. :) I love pumpkin too and I bet this fresh pumpkin is way better than canned pumpkin! I shared the recipe with you through email. Can't wait to see how your bread comes out. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sooo much for the recipe I am anxious to try it your photos looked so delicious I may try a gluten free version

      Delete
  3. Sounds great. I love pumpkin, and was invited by a friend to a delicious pumpkin soup yesterday. Have fun with the bread, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Kathy! I love roasted pumpkin seeds. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never used fresh pumpkin just canned. Would love to see your gluten free pumpkin roll recipe to see if it could be adapted to Keto. Enjoy your baking day. Your house is going to smell awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to dig out that recipe-allot of gluten free flour blends are mostly starches-and i love almond flour but a bit difficult to use as the only flour-I will share the recipe

      Delete
  6. I love squash, but I don't care for pumpkin and so only use them for seasonal decorations. When the kids were little we would toast the seeds from our jack-o-lantern pumpkins. That was always fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I love it all-squash, pumpkin sweet potatoes. my Husband loves sweet potato pie but won't eat pumpkin pie lol

      Delete
  7. I've worked with fresh pumpkin before, and I love to toast the seeds. Somehow the fresh tastes so much different from the canned. Sorry I'm so late. Playing catch up is a pain.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit