Sunday, November 25, 2018

Good Morning Sunday

 Good morning everyone, actually it is almost noon here already.  I have decided to have a very slow day today. It's cloudy and a bit dreary again as the weather is changing by the hour-wind and cold coming in.
   So I am playing on the internet today-going through photos, playing catch up, so I decided to share a post.
    
  We had a really nice day on Thanksgiving, meeting a young family that drove up from Texas to be with their cousins. Their cousins are our friends that make the best catfish and built their log cabin home. It was interesting as the gentleman was grown up in a family where the parents did not want them exposed to other family-weird I know, so he is working on visiting and knowing his family now that he has a family of his own.
  I had made the sourdough pumpkin swirl bread-recipe from Erika-and it turned out beautiful, so I took a loaf along to share with sourdough biscuits I had made as well.  Of course our hostess made so much food-ham, turkey, greens, baked sweet potatoes, corn casserole, dressing, macaroni and cheese (gluten free also for me), and lots of sides, pies.  
    What husband and I enjoyed the most was conversation with the young couple-very inspiring for me. Hard working, christian family that had allot of the work ethic and strive for bettering themselves that we were grown up under. A little politics thrown in, the school system today opposed to when we all grew up in (ours in the '60s and this couple now in their '30s). We don't usually get in discussions like this-but the day was worth it if just for that.

 A couple photos:

The sourdough pumpkin swirl bread-thanks Erika



I have been looking for recipes that are lower in carbs-this was a paleo recipe that I was amazed how good it was-no fat, the flour is almond flour, four eggs, spices, fresh pumpkin, I left out the nuts but added the dried cranberries, just three tablespoons of maple syrup. of course it did not rise as normal quick bread would but was baked through, moist, and delicious. If anyone interested I will post a link to the recipe.


I love pumpkin pie over sweet potato pie (Hubs is the opposite) so I made myself a pie with the fresh pumpkin, but decided to bake without the crust-no additional carbs and fats that way-after cooled in the frig, it slices and comes out just like a regular pie does. so was happy with this


Saturday I decided to make us a turkey dinner I made simple sides-steamed whole sweet potatoes, kale that I simmered, a big salad, and my own homemade cranberries and blueberries.
   Today-Sunday I am making a big pot of creamed turkey soup-from the cooked down bones etc from yesterday. 



     Of course I am enjoying the new Christmas movies by Hallmark channels-I think they started premiering these about nine days ago. There were a couple that I found excellent-the acting and story line, but others so so. 
     I have also been continuing to read the first Outlander book. I looked up when this was first published and it was back in 2004.  I still am enjoying the story very much-I am putting myself mentally into this time period and it really is so well written. a bit R rated in parts but if I don't want to read about some of the violence I just speed read over it. The author is describing the normal occurrence of that time period.  I think this Monday the rest of the books in the series will arrive.
   On Friday morning I dropped off all of my Christmas cards to be mailed. So a few of you should receive a card soon.

I guess I have written a long post again-Happy Sunday!!

15 comments:

  1. Watching the photos of your delicious things here make me hungry! Seems you had a fantastic Thanksgiving !

    Big hugs,
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with company and lots of good food, it looks so yummy. Have a great start in the new week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a perfect day with your friends and their relatives. Good conversation is always a great addition when visiting with folk.
    Its late in the evening as I read your post. The photos of the food looked delicious, I think I will have one last cuppa and maybe a cookie before bed.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my the breads look wonderful. I'd like the recipe for the pumpkin bread. I usually substitute agave syrup for things like honey or maple syrup to make it Keto friendly. Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'm making Boneyard Soup today, doing some online shopping, and working on Christmas cards. Enjoy Outlander. The first book in the series is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a nice few days-here is the link to the pumpkin bread recipe-the cinnamon was too much I would suggest cutting that back https://www.panningtheglobe.com/healthy-pumpkin-bread-with-almond-flour/

      Delete
  5. Your bread came out fantastic Kathy! It's a great recipe, definitely one I will make again. Your pie and dried cranberry bread look delicious also. One of these days I am going to read more in the Outlander series. I've read one and two, but have a couple of more. I just wish they were a tad bit shorter. Hope you have a super start to the new week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved this recipe-I can't wheat but I did have to try one bite-lol Husband is enjoying a slice a day. what was the name of the cookbook you found this in? I would love to check that out more thanks

      Delete
    2. Oh and I love very long detailed books so these are perfect for me. I have another time travel author I love too-her books are always at least 500 or more pages

      Delete
  6. Since I don't eat gluten or dairy, I quickly went to the link and copied the pumpkin bread recipe. I just happen to have a new package of Red Mill almond flour, so I am anxious to try the recipe. Yours looks so good! It wasn't a day fit for man or beast here...so cold and windy. You may be getting some snow too, but it seems we will be missing it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning, the winds here are still howling as I type but not quite as bad as last night-we got just a dusting of snow thank goodness no more. I hope you like the recipe I love Bob Red Mills products and that is what I used too for the almond flour.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you had a great Thanksgiving. I usually try to avoid any talk about religion and politics, but it sounds like you enjoyed it that day.

    Your pie sounds wonderful and I like both pumpkin and sweet potato pies. No crust would suit me just fine, too. No one made crust like my grandmother, so skipping it would save on the calories.

    I feel like a mushroom living in a closet. I've never heard of Outlander, so I'm in the dark on that conversation. I would love to discuss that bread, though (GRIN).

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of the food looks delish!!! We went to my folks over the weekend and had our big feast there. More food than I was able to eat for sure. Even taking just small tasting sizes of lots of things and I still didn't get to try everything. We didn't get home until midnight and I am really dragging today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bread with the cranberries looks delicious, and your turkey is making my mouth water. It's wonderful when people, especially across generations, can discuss things like politics, education and schools, etc. Getting a different perspective is important.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit