Monday, July 9, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday and My Found Hand Dyes

Good morning T party friends and all that stop by

   Tuesdays is where we share a drink related post with friends, just show a photo of your tea, coffee, water bottle or what ever beverage you are drinking. Join us with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth-find link in my right hand column 
    You are most welcome to join the T Party.

   I have been busy accomplishing things since Friday. If you missed it I started in on my craft room in one section to purge and organize. This will be a long process-you would not believe what all I have in here ha ha Post here  I uncovered quilt projects I no longer want to make, and I found buried my lovely hand dyes and my rust dyes I did probably around 2008 or so. I was really into rust dyeing on vintage fabrics and found fabrics at the resale shop I wrapped rusty objects around vinegar-water soaked fabrics. I also soaked fabrics and stuck them on to rusty equipment etc I found outdoors. These pieces all processed during a very very hot summer like we have now. About every hour or so I went back outdoors and soaked or sprayed on more vinegar.  I will share some pieces with you today.

   Saturday I got out my two dutch ovens and baked sourdough gluten free bread post here  over and under the coals since we had cooler temperatures. I had planned on also baking a lemon meringue pie afterwards but I decided that was a big project too and saved it for today.

  I was hoping to share my first eco dye project with you today but we are back to the super hot and humidity and seems now after one big project I am not up to a second one-older age I guess but I am blaming it all on the weather ha ha  
    So after our 2 pm dinner and feeding the wildlife I decided to work on my hand quilting and remember what stencils I had planned on using instead.
   I am all set though, with all my supplies and how I want to proceed-for the most part-I even collected allot of leaves this morning-hopefully they will still be nice for tomorrow-I may just put those in the frig. overnite. I also bought rit dye for the water-I feel like i am cheating though using that but seeing the results I may still do that. I also dug out logwood dye that I have not used as of yet and also pomegranate for dye as well-so I may use one of those instead. I will decide tomorrow.

I thought I would share with you some of my uncovered hand dyes. Some of you that followed me in the past may remember some of them. I had sold several pieces as well at the time.

These are rust dyes





This was a very old vintage fabric I didn't care for so I rust dyed it still have not decide how to create with this piece


I had been given a huge huge bag of fabric interior decorator samples-cottons linens, poly-those were fun to rust dye over


This is an old curtain



I also had uncovered my most favorite hand dyes ever-my first  experience with procion dyes and dyed in gradation. They were so beautiful I just couldn't cut them I did end up using some of them in a quilt with batiks I have about 6 whole pieces left-they were fat 1/8th's-and I have a few scraps left




a sun dyed piece using setacolor from France with rock salt on top of the dye




I had forgotten about these-a couple pieces left that I had flower pounded one of the first years we retired here back in '04-'05 Most all of the colors are now gone except the greens.


and at the bottom of the pile were these fabrics that I shared this month on second on the 2nd-I need to make a quilt with these


For my beverage I am sharing a photo of my water bottle with mineral water inside. I was sitting outdoors keeping an eye on the dutch ovens with bread inside



And a little cuteness to share.  

    Mama deer has brought up the twins this week. I have corn out for them every evening now. They are around a month old now I would guess-if they are the same ones I saw on the driveway that were so small.

all photos will enlarge to full size just click on them






Happy T Day everyone

Lemon meringue pie with almond crust being served



25 comments:

  1. Kathy, your craft room is nothing short of a treasure trove. I do recall rust dyeing with your inspiration, so much fun! Your procion dyed pieces are, indeed, lovely. Cuteness abounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that fabric, wow! You are having fun, that is for sure. The deer are cute, but I am afraid that I was captured by the pie. Oh, my goodness, it looks scrumptious! Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, yes I have been having fun-the pie turned out perfect-

      Delete
  3. your dyed fabrics are beautiful!! The rust dying of fabric is something I never tried, not that it wasn't tempting:) How sweet to have the deer family visiting. I miss my wee birds in the nests...the lemon meringue pie looks delish! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Linda, the rust dyeing was fun-like an adventure not knowing how it will turn out. Perhaps you will get another bird couple stop in-hugs

      Delete
  4. Your dyed fabrics are awesome. The deer are so cute. And I want a slice of that fabulous pie. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed seeing your dyed fabrics. I'm going to be doing some eco-dyeing when I get my two burner outside. I won't do this in the house. But most of all, I love your rust dyed fabric. It is beautiful and I'm sure you know, I love doing that, too.

    I have never used the setacolor for sun dyeing. I just use fluid acrylics and they seem to work for me. I must try that again, too. But I was impressed that you used salt on it. Of course, possibly my favorite are those you made using the procion dye. I've never gotten any since the only place you can get it is on the internet.

    Your pie turned out great. Perfect, actually. And of course, mineral water is perfect for this time of year. Thanks for sharing these fabrics, your pie, and your mineral water with us for T this almost Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun working with all of those fabrics you've dyed, you discovered a lot in your craft room. That lemon meringue pie looks more than wonderful. Love the photos of the deer. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have so much to work with. Love the dyed fabrics. That green and blue are especially lovely. Precious deer are growing so fast. It's lovely that they come to visit you. Lemon meringue pie was my mom's specialty when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy your dyed fabrics look gorgeous, I can see why you wanted to save some as well as using them.
    Your pie looks delicious and I would love a piece right now to go with my morning cuppa.
    Happy T day wishes.
    #Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE all your fabrics the deer and that tempting pie! GORGEOUS post dear Kathy! Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the pie would come just in handy;) i´m sitting here with my coffee...
    love your dyeing results... i never thought of rusting upon poly-somethings... the blue one is gorgeous, too! now, sun printing is one advantage of the heat of summer, isn´t it;)
    happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow kathy!!! That blue fabric you did with rock salt really caught my eye. Gorgeous! Feels good to go thru the craftroom and only keep what you really want doesn't it.. ? So cute to see your fawns.. We are low on fawns this year.. I've only seen one hanging around the yard.. And in all previous years we've seen 5 at one time.. :( Oh for a slice of pie... Looks yummy Kathy! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. The rust-dyed pieces are very interesting, Kathy. On some you can see the type of machine they were wrapped on. Fascinating. I can understand why you hesitated the procion dyed fabrics. They're gorgeous! What a gold mine you've uncovered. I bet the wheels are spinning trying to decide what to do with them ;-)

    Glad you're having some cooler weather. Sitting on that chair watching the bread bake looks like it would be quite relaxing.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, the rust dyes were fun to do and being my first time with procion dyes was so thrilled. I need to make things with these pieces. for sure.
      we had cool weather for 2 days which was wonderful especially the no humidity part=but we are back to very very hot and humid again.
      I needed to sneak in a little dutch oven baking while it was cool Happy T Day

      Delete
  13. What an amazing array of fabrics, you are so clever dying them and they all look so special 😁. So much cuteness today too and what a treat seeing the twins! Oh yum, that pie looks so delicious and would go lovely with my cuppa today ...lol 😉. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, I love creating now to decide what to make with some of these pieces.
      the twins are so adorable and fun to watch-they like to play when they are here
      the pie was perfect for breakfast this morning

      Delete
  14. Wow! That's a lot of fabric! And such a variety! The deer must be fun to watch :) I'll join you for a piece of that pie if there's any left. I know it wouldn't last long around here ;) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much to admire here! Your dying projects are so inspiring! As well as your dutch oven cooking! Our day has started off hot, so there wasn't much time for outdoor work this morning. We were thankful for a few rainy days and so were the plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning, the heat is going to be brutal this week-close to actual 100 degrees end of week-no fun at all and just too hot for the plants. we are on well so I may have to just stop watering soon if this keeps up.
      when I first retired I did allot of dyeing for several years, natural dyes, rust, and the procion allot of fun/
      stay cool

      Delete
  16. Looks like you have an amazing fabric stash. I love all the fabric you have shown using your handmade dyes. I like the rust dyes as well but as I mostly make clothing I am not sure the patterns would go well. But I bet they make really cool backgrounds for quilts.
    Your lemon meringue pie looks so rich in color. Sounds and looks delicious.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, The rust dyes I will use in art pieces and my perhaps in my journal too.
      the pie was awesome hugs

      Delete
  17. Sorry to be late, we went out yesterday morning, came back - had lunch and went out again! Your dyeing experiments have all turned out great - the blues and greens are my favourites!! How lovely that the deer is staying around with the fawns.
    Your lemon meringue pie looks delicious and I would definitely risk my sugar levels rising for a small piece!! Belated happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit