Sunday, July 8, 2018

Better Success with Gluten Free Sourdough Bread

Wow we have been blessed.
    I am so thankful that we finally after about 6 weeks plus we got a real break in the weather.
    No humidity to speak of for two days, yesterday mid 80s today we woke up to high 50s although it is at least 90 f right now. Ends tonight though.

    I had things I wanted to do over the weekend-bake outdoors in the dutch ovens, gather plant materials for eco dyeing and I just had to hand water everything since we did not get any of the promised rain. It took me 2 hours tonight.

   I am down to 4 nice looking indigo plants-last time I grew these-two years ago I couldn't tell when they were ready to harvest-so I need to get online and research that out again.

   I did pick up my roaster pan from Wal mart early yesterday morning-I am so thrilled as this is what I had in mind that I wanted, and it was $18.00-perfect. It will fit a 12" square tile so there is lots of room here for a couple smaller tiles or things wrapped around copper pipes etc-I need to ask Hubs if he has some scraps of that around.



  I also now have dried mimosa leaves (for natural yellow dyeing) and they are off the stems-I am letting it air dry more since we have been so humid here.

     So I ran out of time this weekend to gather plant materials for eco dye-if nothing comes up hopefully tomorrow morning early I will take a walk and collect leaves and such



   I helped Hubs this morning with a project we have been working on and in the meantime I had worked with another sourdough bread gluten free-so was getting coals ready at the same time
    I posted a couple photos on my Facebook page so brought over what I had written already.

     Better success today with gluten free sourdough bread.


I had started a gluten free starter with brown rice flour. My last attempt was so so-good but not real good-still too doughy inside even at the recommended internal baking temperature of 206 f to be baked. I think I am going to increase that to 210 f next time and see what happens.


I took out my sourdough and fed it twice for several days, then took half of it and put back in the frig. for later. I fed what was left for several more days twice to build up to 3 cups of sourdough.

I combined the technique of MaryJane Farms new book Wild Bread with another recipe I found online

. I am looking more into baking now with almond flour since it is more nutritious with less carbs then all of these gluten free flour ingredients-which I am learning are loaded with carbs and not much nutrition either.
     So instead of adding in more brown rice flour for my batter I added a cup of golden flax seed meal and two cups of almond flour, and a pinch of salt.
    Going back to MaryJane's baking technique for a very hot 500 f degrees oven-baked in dutch ovens in small loaves-I instead baked outdoors in two dutch ovens with the temp 500 to 525 f
   Next time I will know I need lots of coals to start with to get to this temperature it took me forever-over an hour or more.
However this is the best gluten free loaf yet-the sourdough flavor is so perfect, still a bit too dense for my liking but after toasting in the toaster twice-it was perfect. And not toasted it is much better than my last attempt-not gummy so it's pretty good if I do say so myself  smiles
    I decided to slice it all and wrap single slices and freeze-otherwise this bread just will not keep 

So I am pleased after all of my efforts and I love love the sourdough flavor
Miss Calico likes to hang out with me when i am working outdoors-with the sun out pretty hot-even though we were in the 80s this morning instead of the 90s by noon So she crawled under my fire pit where it is cozy and cooler lol









I have one more thing to do tonight-and that's to refill the hummingbird feeders. So I am off to do that
   Have an awesome new week ahead everyone

10 comments:

  1. Our humidity broke this weekend, too. Was a nice day for gardening. Your sourdough bread looks amazing. I can see why it wouldn’t last long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's so great at your place, why is it still sweltering here? I've felt no drop in temps, and high 70s F at night is as good as it gets.

    Your bread looks wonderful. Not sure what to say about the kitty, though.

    I hope your new pan works for you. I think you are about ready to eco-dye paper! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've always got so many interesting projects going on. The bread sure looks good. Sweet kitty. :) Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had some cooler weather, if you can call that cool ...lol 😉. Your bread looks delicious and I so enjoyed seeing how you made it outside in your Dutch ovens - amazing! Sourdough is one of my favourites too - yum 😁. Wishing you an awesome new week too! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For us this summer, this was cool lol back to the humidity and 95 and up highs in temps very soon. thanks for dropping by hugs

      Delete
  5. The roaster from Walmart looks perfect for eco dyeing. A real bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plans for your paper are coming along so well.
    The bread looks delicious, the aroma of it cooking must have been lovely.
    Miss Calico looks really comfortable under the fire pit.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she always looks so comy and cozy lol she is going on 18 years old too

      Delete
  7. I am so looking forward to your eco-dyed paper. Your new cooker will be just perfect for the job, I think. I really admire those who cook out in dutch ovens. The food always looks so yummy, just like your gf bread. Most gluten free bread is worse for me than regular wheat-flour bread, so I just don't eat bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking its the challenge for me to accomplish edible gf breads lol I am not a big bread eater either-I just want to know I can do it
      I am anxious for the eco dye project-hopefully tomorrow I live my new cooker too

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit