Thursday, July 5, 2018

Alum and Its Use as a Mordant

  I have been doing more reading online about eco printing-there is really allot of information about it both on papers and on cloth. It's really eye candy just to look at what the different artists have accomplished.

  As in natural dyeing there are so many ways to do it, everyone has their own ideas that work for them and many contradict each other-like what happens with many topics.

 In the past with my natural dyeing on fabrics I had learned there are two different alums used as a mordant-fixative. Many don't realize it, but then again maybe it doesn't matter. What ever we find that works we need to do that lol

   I have had excellent color fastness on cotton though by using aluminum acetate for cellulose-cotton. So I am going to use this one for my first eco print paper project.

  Reading, many just buy the alum at the grocery store-the one for pickle making which is called potassium aluminum sulfate. From Earth Hues the alum used for protein fibers-wool-silk is aluminum sulfate. I just read another article online for eco printing where the author said please stay away from the alum in the store or any alum that has potassium or ammonium in it since it is bad for papers.

  So I also dug out the few notes I took when I was planning on this project a couple years ago and the article I printed off says to use aluminum sulphate (the one for protein fibers) and she also says in this article not to use alum from the store.

 Many artists just use vinegar, but in my experience vinegar is not that colorfast over time.

Any of you that read this-any thoughts-if you are a dyer what do use?

   I am thinking I am going to go with what works well for me on fabrics so for my papers I am going to use the aluminum acetate that is the mordant for cellulose fibers.  
  Just a note Earth Hues is the only place I have found this mordant. Most like Dharma and others just call it alum

   I have been on the hunt for something to use as a steamer an also deep enough to submerge watercolor papers into simmering water. Too hot here to drive to the resale shops especially during the holiday-so I shopped a couple days online. and I found it!!! Of all places Wal Mart online and for free shipping they will ship to my local store.  It is a granite ware (like the canning kettles) rectangle roaster and it is 14" wide. I am hoping this is as nice as I imagine it to be--the reviews were all great except for the ones that came chipped-so I am going to inspect it good before I take it home.
   Hope to be eco dyeing in a few days-stay tuned lol

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, the only thoughts I have are about white vinegar. I used only that for simple rust dyeing of cotton muslin some years ago, and the pieces I dyed are as vibrantly rust colored as ever. I even sewed a table topper together from those pieces, and now I’m using it in the sun under a few ornaments and a plant. It has held up well. Of course, I realize rust may be one of those more permanent dyes without any help at all. I was going to try eco dyeing paper along with you, but have since decided not to take on this project right now. However, I’ll be watching, perhaps you will peak my interest again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would have to say from my personal experience with rust dyeing-that this is the exception for me since I don't remember why now but the vinegar and rust go together to set the fabrics

      Delete
  2. I don't know much of natural dyeing-or least the colorfast end of it. It was an interesting read Kathy. I hope we get to see your dyeing. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I place vinegar (straight, no water added) along with rusty items and fabric in a bag. Without the vinegar, rust will occur, but it will take tons longer.

    I've only used alum once and that was from the grocery store when I dyed turmeric. I've never used it otherwise and I've done all kinds of natural dyeing.

    I think, as with any dye, you can't place the paper or fabric behind glass and leave it in a sunny room. I look forward to your paper dyeing. I plan to do some fabric dyeing, but not until the temps fall below 100 F outside and ~85 F inside. Keep us in the loop, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I took a marble paper workshop, the instructor used carageenan. Would that work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I continue to read with interest your comments on this subject. I have tried alum from the grocery, pickle juice, wood ashes, and a couple of other things I won't mention. But, I have only worked with dying cloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning, how did the wood ashes work out? we no longer heat with wood-which I really miss but have thought of that

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit