Sunday, January 7, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday & Cutting Lots of Hexagons

  Hi Everyone, I am writing this on a late Sunday afternoon and it warmed up enough here to rain. It came down as ice for about five minutes than changed over to some much needed rain. Elizabeth I hope you are getting some of this rain as well.
   I would rather have rain at this point than ice or snow.

T Stands for Tuesday where we share a drink related post with friends. The water is on for tea or I can brew up a pot of coffee quick too. Find the link in my right hand column and join us.

  In my previous post I shared a quilt finish-finally- along with photos and the story of the quilt. Link here

  After getting up early this morning I did a few loads of laundry along with the quilt (which looks so wonderful on our bed now that it's been washed and dried)  and then I decided to get out my basket of fabrics for my civil war era hexagon quilt. I had been working most of last week on tax work-so needed a break from that

   I need 46 of the rosettes-I had finished 12 plus the 4 focus fabrics and now need to cut more. I decided today to work on cutting all the fabric needed for these rosettes and doing it all at once I can plan the colors better too. I am working with a jelly roll of civil war fabrics by Barbara Brackman-quilt historian- that I won years ago at one of the fabshophops online. So being in strips it is much easier for me to cut out the hexagons and be on the grain of fabric too. 
    I have hundreds of background hexagons to cut out so I may tackle some of that half way through the sewing of the rosettes as I think that will get pretty boring sewing many pieces with the same two colors. So far I am a bit intimated cutting strips off of yardage for the hexagons-but that's for another day. smiles

This first photo shows a set finished and a peak at that back, and second photo cutting the hexies.  If you are not familiar with this process  (that I believe came from England) you choose what size of hexies you want to make-measure one side of the hexagon-and then for me it was easier to buy this plastic template, and then you need a heavy paper like cardstock to make the hexies finished size. Then you put a template in the middle of one of your fabric hexies-fold over edges and then hand baste securely-but Not through the cardstock. It takes 6 "petals" and one center. I hand sew mine with silk thread. I have a blog friend Val that made me a glass hexagon template that I loved-but I changed up the size to this bigger 1" finished hexagon.



This is my pattern that a blog friend helped me with. Each rosette will have a row of a light beige around it and then around that a chocolate brown to connect them all The center four rosettes is a focus point.


A tin of the hexagon card stock pieces-many people save money by making their own, but I am not very accurate with cutting out things like this so I bought mine.



I cut out fabrics for about 16 rosettes so far today


Photos of my reproduction civil war fabric strips- I have always been in love with this era's colors-very earthy 



I laid out this collection all around me-my desk is always full of stuff lol

In one of my photos you can see my big mug of my decaf herbal beverage with cream.

Happy T for Tuesday 

15 comments:

  1. The quilt you are starting is going to look awesome. So much cutting and work before you begin to sew, A true labour of love. The materials all look fabulous.
    Happy wishes for Tuesday T day
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your fabric is beautiful and the reproduction colors and designs are incredible. I am in such awe and look forward to you completing your quilt. BTW, you are truly doing this old school. There are computer programs that will created the design of the quilt, the colors you choose, etc, then show the correct placement for the size quilt you want. There is also a DIE you can use with your die cutter that will cut the small hexies, as well as the large ones. It cuts up to six layers of fabric and four layers of paper. I don't have any of those products, but I often watch the quilting shows on PBS each week, so am aware of what is going on.

    Thanks for sharing this beginning beauty and your herbal beverage with us for T this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smiles Kath!! Funny thing is...I pulled out an old hexi project this week too!!! So I'll be enjoying the stitching with ya...and mine are larger size too. Love your fabric choices...and I buy my paper templates too...accurate...and well easier. HAVE FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Civil War fabrics and so I bet this will be gorgeous when you finish it. I would buy the hexagons too because if I cut my own they would not all be the same and I would end up making a crazy quilt. I like your pieces so far. it looks like a fun project. Happy early T day, and hope you have a great new week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some fantastic fabrics, and I am sure it will be fun working with them, but also a lot of work. I am looking forward to seeing progress shots as you get underway. Have a good week, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like it's going to be beautiful! I could never do that much hand sewing anymore. If I ever try a quilt it will be a very basic pattern. I have made a couple of baby quilts for the grandkids that were basic and had almost forgotten about them. I don't think I have any pictures of them anywhere around. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very ambitious project and will look beautiful when finished. Hope we get to see the quilt when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is some project but I hear the passion in this post and know it is going to be one magnificent quilt! I admire anyone who has the ability to be so precise in measuring, cutting, sewing fabric. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i also love These civil war fabric strips, wonderful Colors! not sure if i could manage that Hexagon Thing... i Need Projects that are forgiving some faults;)
    yes, do the fiber scroll Project! would be interesting to see and it is really fun working this scale.
    happy t-day, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Happy New Year my friend!
    What a great post about quilting. I did some quilting when I was pregnant (42 years ago) and made a baby quilt for my son. I did it the way you decribe. By hand, with Little cardboard hexagons.
    I looked at your link and saw the other quilt. what a beauty.
    You really have inspired me to take up quilting again. There is a fabric shop in town that does courses. I will make enquiries.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you sure are making great progress with your quilt! I love all your beautiful fabric designs and seeing how you create it - amazing 😁. Wishing you the happiest of T Days! J 😊
    p.s. I hope you received the Christmas Dundee cake recipe I sent to you via email on Sunday. J x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Kathy! Good luck with your hexagon quilt.. Looks like a crazy amount of work. I don't know if i'd have the patience..Just love your mug too!! Pottery sucker here.. lol .. Happy T day hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't made a quilt for years but I do remember the time the preparation took! Those colours look fabulous! Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  14. The civil war fabric designs and colors are wonderful, Kathy. I admire your patience. The hexagon quilt looks like a monumental undertaking.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my goodness, you are giving me the "quilt bug!" Haven't sewn a quilt for a couple of years now, and this is giving me the itch...lol. The fabrics you've chosen are so lovely and I know this will be stunning when finished! I've always been afraid to start one of these but have always loved the way they look. perfect project for the winter! happy T day! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit