Monday, January 8, 2018

Another Fun Day In My Craft Room

   This morning I finished up cutting the hexagons and made a few  extra ones as there were a couple finished rosettes I didn't care for. So I have almost 60 rosettes set up to stitch-a nice evening project when my hands cooperate. I also wanted a few extra so I had color choices when I design the quilt layout.

  Doing a little straightening to find the top of my big oak vintage office desk-I uncovered those corn husks papers. 
  These are big wavy and bumby which gives them character and stiff as well. So I grabbed my coloring pencils and inks and played with one. I am Not an artist at all but this was fun. I may do some hand stitching on this yet. I know looks like a kid did this haha but we are all kids at heart. Like I mentioned I am Noooo artist.
   I grabbed my little sheep stamp to see how it would print and it wasn't too bad-I did have to fill in a couple of the faces.





   One of the T gang shared her scroll last Tuesday which I really loved and I am thinking of doing something like that this year-perhaps I can add this in some how-Thinking of Spring and I do love these little sheep lol



Update: my sheep art needed some wool stitches added





These wool threads were found at a thrift store for a bundle of 5 for 50 cents-dmc persian wool from France  which is fitting since my sheep stamp I found on Etsy that was carved by a lady in France

 I have not taken time out for creativity in months I didn't realize how much I have missed it. 
  Working with this piece on how to mount in-I decided instead of making a scroll I am going to make a fabric "book"   I came up with this idea when I decided to stitch this down on to some homespun plaid cotton.  These papers will not roll-too stiff.  So I am thinking of sewing the fabrics together and then just fold them so it can be opened up. I have a vintage trunk full of reclaimed wool fabrics-clothes that I took apart and then felted. I think I will sew my piece on to some wool for more stability--need to dig that trunk out pretty soon haha   

Do you have any other ideas on how to make a fabric type book??

11 comments:

  1. I love the little sheep. They didn't turn out baaaa-d at all
    =^,.^=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That corn husk paper sews up nicely and really looks fantastic. One way I've made cloth books is sew up some rectangles with some light interfacing in the middle of 2 fabric pieces. This makes the rectangles. Then I stitch them down the middle and press so they fold into a book. You can't stitch too many pages together this way though or it's more of a fan than book. Or you could stitch them along one side for your binding. There's lots of good ideas around and there's really no rules. If you want I can suggest a few books to you. But I won't babble on too long. Hugs-erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO pretty! This is amazing and will look fabulous in a fabric book. I made my first fabric book recently and it is one of my favorite projects. I took pieces of fabric and sewed them together with decorative stitches. After putting all the pages together I sewed several stitches down the center to create the book. If you are interested, you can see it here.https://scrapyardthe.wordpress.com/2017/09/16/a-country-escape-mixed-media-fabric-journal/
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made one fabric book, but like Erika, you can't have too many pages in one signature. However, you can have several signatures in a book. I gave my book away, and it is the only one I made, but I don't hand sew because I can't hold a needle. My quiltlets are all fabric and similar, but they are single entries. To get a full page, you have to double the page in order to fold it in half.

    I adore your corn husk page and love the little sheep, too. It is adorable. But your hand sewing made it even more enjoyable. I may even get out my roving and do some felting later this year, since you inspired me to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stitching really adds to your little sheep art. The idea of a fabric book sounds perfect. You can do so much and I know you have plenty of supplies for it! Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Kathy, i´ve made several fabric books in the past (but they were in my picturetrail account, which i don´t have any longer due to costs)... oh, i think i´ll better send you an email...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just pretty - great you found time for "playing" again. I watched several videos on sewing fabric books on YT - but it was all to difficult for me so I never started a fabric book -- I think Johannas idea with the roll is so clever and your idea to just fold ( like and accordian book maybe) sound really good to me as well!
    I am looking forward to your project - please share it and I love this lovely corn husks paper project as well!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your corn husk paper looks great, especially with the sheep and the sewing you have done! I love fabric books but usually just sew them down the centre! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't be so hard on your creative skills! You have them and just need to let them out to play more often. I dreamed of being an artist all of my life and then one day decided to just try to see what I could do. It's been a happy and fulfilling time since them. The more more I work the better I get and so will you. Can't wait to see what you do about that fabric book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love this... Just go for it! Here's a peak at a fiberfest journal I made using scraps I had laying around. No rules...

    Fiberfest

    And be sure to post your creativity!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit