Sunday, October 15, 2017

T Stands for Tuesday & Progress

Good morning everyone,
   I am writing and posting a little early-Sunday Morning-as we just got a cold front that dropped us over 25 degrees and I am taking advantage of this much cooler weather for a break and to work and play at the computer.
   Hubs is gone for the day with a close friend to buy a fishing boat for the river. They are headed to Arkansas. This sounded like a very cool boat with everything included-it is very long a little wider, and was originally made for Missouri conservation department so this is an older boat but sounds like it is in very good condition. I am very excited for him. Hubs has worked all his life even as a child and is finally taking time off for recreation. He will be 74 next week and has never had quality health- I remind him it's time for fun and for sleeping in when he wants to--way past time really.
    The float trip idea got him into thinking he would love this way of fishing instead of always driving to the lake for fishing which takes more driving time. He hasn't gone on his float trip yet-but thinking they will probably use this fishing boat instead. Will be much easier for him to get in and out of too with his severe arthritis. 

   On Tuesdays I am so enjoying posting with the T gang for a drink related post and a visit with friends and artists. To join us link on right hand column-our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth.

  Nothing new to report-lol-we have had perfect weather-well a few days near 90 but still perfect for my painting project. Yesterday I put the second coat on the walls since I had plenty of paint left over. I am pleased with the color. I had two gallons of semi gloss white and 1 gallon of very dark blue semi gloss-so I mixed these together hoping for a lighter blue-to go with my tan ceiling color.
    Surprise it was purple-wow not what I wanted at all. So I grabbed some left over cans of paint that were in the brown tones that had just a little left in them. after much stirring it came out to a slate blue.
    This color actually intrigues me-it looks light grey in the pan, goes on the walls light, and then as it dries it darkens up allot. At first I wasn't sure if I was still seeing a lavender-but asked a friend that came over and asked him what color do you see-and he said a slate blue-so that made me happy lol  
     Yesterday after the second coat of paint went on-which it really did not need-I was quite pleased. and depending on how the light goes on the wall I see blues, or greys interesting paint color for sure 
   I did have one mishap-I hardly ever use painters tape-but the line I needed to break from the ceiling was not clear so I had to use something--when I pulled off the tape-ugh and double ugh it took off chunks of paint from the ceiling and started to peel off the wall paint--and I had no ceiling paint left since I had dumped that into the wall paint mix. I did manage to scrape enough off the sides of can to paint a little so not as noticeable  so I will not ever use painters tape again that's for sure lol I had thought of buying a sample of the ceiling color since I just need a little to really fix it-but I think mentally and getting up and down ladders-I am done with this I can always do that next year if it still bugs me
  (all photos will enlarge just click on them)






In the middle of the room are pieces of furniture that have been wrapped and covered-a couch and matching chair, a large ottoman and two full size bed frames. We are on the hunt for a couple mattresses next.

Also the rest of the stairs and deck project got finished too last week. The stairs were done last year and now finally the deck. This turned out to be an expensive project even though we had most of the wood already. It is hard to pay out allot of money knowing when we were younger we could have done it ourselves. I am remembering what my late Mom telling me-- it is a given that one needs to budget money for help as we age. so that's just the way of it.  By taking over the sanding and the painting we saved over $600.00 of labor.
   My sanding of the drywall mud definately was not perfect and the walls show that-I did spend three full days hand sanding too-but this room is clean and useable so that's a good thing. sanding plaster is just not my "thing" lol

  I took a couple photos of the view looking down from this space as you can see in this pond (and also in our other ponds) they are covered with duck weed brought in by the geese that visit us-that is another project to kill that off as it robs the ponds of oxygen.





If weather permits I hope to brush on Thompson's waterseal on the deck and all the steps and railings-but we are pushing it to get that done-and it rained over 5 hours last nite so they are good and soaked now. The stairs turned out gorgeous with a turn and another landing-so much construction debris lying around I couldn't get a nice photo to share.
   Right now we just have the big sheets of plywood on the floor so I am working on cleaning all the plaster dust off and will stain the floor hopefully next year we can find a 16 x 20 indoor rug for that space
  So I still have a few more days of work in there but with it warming back up to the 70s on Tuesday I plan to be done before end of next week.

  On my last post someone had asked what deer camp was. We retired and moved here for hunting and fishing and to live in the woods as simply as possible. Up until two years ago we only heated with firewood that we cut and split ourselves-I actually really miss that but hubs is not in shape now to do that-it is allot of hard work and one handles the wood so many times as well. We do still have a good amount of firewood we split-cut-and stacked last year so we would have it if the power goes out or if we have some severe cold coming in-save on the propane gas
     We have almost 300 acres of woods with up and down terrain and lots of wildlife. Turkey, deer, bobcat, cougar, bear and more. Since we bought our property back in '98 and then retired to here in '03 we have friends that drive down for deer season. We also enjoy lots of really good food and we catch up on each other's year. As we are all getting older most of us don't care if we harvest a deer or not. lol  I would like to butcher one for the freezer this year though as we didn't do that last year.

Through out the week I have been enjoying cups of tea and my herbal coffee substitute in my favorite Yellowstone cup. Photos show a cup of spiced apple tea which is really delicious has lots of cinnamon, and my herbal coffee substitute has added pumpkin spice creamer-yum  I just started using a little creamer I love this brand as it is all natural ingredients no artificial anything 




Happy T Day everyone!!

Just a note: Elizabeth pointed out in comments that many are thinking this space is in my home-but no this is a little barn shaped building that we built over 12 years ago for a garden-tool space. Over the years it has changed its usefulness-the first floor is my husband's business, and this space shown is the second level with steps to it outdoors-we are fixing it up for house guests that come for a visit-like a big extra bedroom. There is also a bathroom and shower in the downstairs shop.

I just posted about hubs birthday lots of photos-go here

18 comments:

  1. Wow Kathy. Your rooms looks beautiful. That is a great color, and I love the views from your deck. You have a lot of land. Now I know what you mean by deer camp.We live in a wooded area too but we don't have that much land. Everyone keeps trees around their homes so we have lots of wildlife too. And you have been really busy. Maybe you can head northeast to New Hampshire and put some sealer on my decks that need it badly. (Ha-ha) Enjoy the rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika
    Oh, and Happy early T day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice paint job. I like the color. You have a nice view from the deck too. I'm pooped out on work this year, though I do hope to finish spraying Thompson's on the new fence we put up. the can says a weed sprayer would work well, but I thought it was using too much sealer. So next I'll try a paint sprayer. We have been getting way too much rain right now. We set a record for the amount of rain received on 10-14. Almost 4 inches.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing your work in progress Kathy!! Progress does your heart good!Hubby and i have a hard time paying the labor costs that people want too... it seems so outrageous to me... Most of the time we can afford the material but not the labor.. so pretty much if we can't do it, it doesn't happen... Loved seeing all your photos! Makes it easier to imagine your place ... Love that little tea bag holder! Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you have been more than busy, your fingers must be hurting from all that sanding and painting. Love the colour you are using, but sorry about the little mishaps. Thanks for haring all the progress shots. Hope your hubby was successful with the boat, sounds like a good one. Happy T Day, and have a good start in the new week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see your work in progress- your room looks so beautiful! Well done - you were very busy!Nice to see your surroundings!Peaceful there!
    Happy early T-Day Kathy!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. The room looks great and I love the color. Looks blue-grey on my computer screen if that's a help. I use painter's tape and haven't had a problem, but thanks for the warning. You have a beautiful deck and glorious scenery. That cinnamon apple spice tea is yummy. One of the few herbal teas I really like. You teapot teabag holder is adorable. Hope you get time to put your feet up. Sounds like you deserve a break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love your room color! You can be sure it’s one of a kind. The window is lovely. There’s a lot of character in that room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Kathy you have been busy. the rooms look lovely. A shame the tape caused problems, but I'm sure you are on to sorting it out.
    The scenery from your deck looks wonderful, so much open space and wildlife. Thank you for sharing the photos of your home.
    The cinnamon apple tea sounds delicious, I think it would be a welcome drink after all the work you are doing.
    Happy T day wishes for Tuesday.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure people understood this, or maybe I mistook that this is your guest room you created in your barn, not the main house. Am I correct or have I gone senile?

    You did a FINE job sanding and mudding. It is hard work, and you saved a chunk by doing it yourself. I agree that labor is often 1/2 the cost of the project. So, your skills may not have been up to your standard, but they were completely up to mine! And I was a quality engineer in a previous lifetime.

    What is it about Thompson's that every person who owns a wooden deck or porch seem to go crazy over? I know I'm the same way. I use it, too. I really enjoyed seeing the views from that deck and any guest would be happy here.

    The first time I had deer meat, I was so surprised how "dry" it was. Not greasy at all, like beef can be. I had deer burgers, if that means any thing. My grandfather and I used to go to Colorado to hunt deer when I was very young. I don't think either of us cared about getting a deer. We were more into the bonding time together.

    Ah, flavored half and half. I may have to check that out, since I somehow relate Coffee Mate to that horrible powder filled with corn solids and other baddies. Thanks for sharing the photo, so I could read it for myself.

    Thanks, too, for sharing your latest painting adventures with us, along with your cinnamon apple tea in your Yellowstone mug for T this week. See you Tuesday (ish).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elizabeth, yes you are correct this space is not in my main home but is a seperate building on our property-downstairs is hubs business space and this space is upstairs that we are turning into a guest space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've really come a long way on that room. Sometimes painters tape can be very tricky to use for sure. That duck weed is a pain to get out of a pond for sure, even my little fish pond when it gets in there :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all I love that you are encouraging hubby to enjoy, live and rest. Sounds like a fabulous trip he's on. And you are so hard at work-and making me sore! Paint colors can be difficult when it comes to changing lighting etc. but your color looks very nice. My la la land would be beachfront but your special wooded area sounds beautiful too.
    Thanks for sharing that autumn inspired tea too. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my, i don´t envy you for all this work - but for sure for the results you have afterwards! seems to be a really great area you are living in!
    happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, how exciting to be getting a boat, I bet your hubby will love fishing in it! It sounds like you've had a productive week too 😁. The slate grey paint you mixed looks so beautiful on the walls - perfect! I love your Yellowstone mug, the outside design makes me happy and then I saw the fabulous map on its interior - now that really made me smile ...lol 😉. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you added the comment at the bottom to say this is not your main residence, but a guest accomodation. (I hadn't realized that) You have done a great job! It looks lovely.
    I have been Reading your previous blog about your hubby's birthday and I saw the boat. What a beauty! He must be so pleased! My hubby is in his early 70s too and I encourage him to do what he likes as he deserves it. (But he does like working, so I let him)
    Your cinnamon tea looks really delicious. I'll join you for a cuppa! I'm not sure about the coffeemate. I don't trust Nestlé the company and wouldn't buy any of their products, however many times it says 'natural' on the package. I'll stick to normal milk or half 'n half.
    Happy T-Day
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for your hubby's fishing trip! I hope he has a fabulous time. My guy has bad arthrtis too. We try to make the most of whatever active time his body allows. I like the phrase, "If not now, when?"

    That's really weird that your gloss white and blue semi-gloss mixed to a purple, Kathy! I'm glad you were able to save all that paint and hope you like your slate gray walls. Gray walls are right on trend. You may just fall in love with the look ;-)

    It's going to be a lovely room and the view from it is wonderful. Congrats on finishing the deck. It looks great too.

    We used to do all our painting, wall papering, even floor tiles. But not anymore.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a lovely space that is and I like your balcony too...this afternoon I heard and saw geese flying overhead in an arrow shape..beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goodness me you have been so busy! It will be so welcoming for your guest when it is finished though! I have a dilemma though - in Deb's post she talked about bow hunters lining up along the roads - I can understand the killing animals for eating so I guess that's why the hunters wait there but surely hunting is a two way thing with the animals being given a chance to get away which I don't have a problem with - am I getting something misunderstood here? Wishing you a good week! Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit