Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Spinning Update

  Hi Everyone, and happy midweek. We were suppose to be warm today-not-I can't complain no ice or snow, but we are windy, cloudy and cool. So still can't burn leaves from last fall, or work outdoors. I am still fighting not feeling well too. I am thinking I need a dose of predisone for the asthma, can't get into the doctor til end of March. and bummer my car is still not working, we thought we had it fixed and now won't start again-must be some sort of electrical problem.  So instead of food shopping I am playing with fibers again today-smiles. 😀

  Since I am still playing with fibers, thought I would share some progress. One of the skeins I had spun back in 2016 I was able to save from the mice getting into it, at the woods house-since it was on the bottom of the bag. No smells, so I put it on one of my diy niddy noddy's and wetted it down again.  I have been tagging everything over the years so I know what it is. This was blended on the blending board back then with odd fibers and also romney locks that needed to be hand carded individually with a tool called a flicker. After reading the label I remembered I had a big basket full of long locks that I carded outdoors.  This is not too bad of  yarn for a beginner, but it is on the thicker size and the joins are all pretty noticeable-it will weave up ok though


Remember the blending board from my T Tuesday post? Here is the yarn it spun into-I had trouble drafting it out-I had put a bit too much fiber on the board-so this ended up pretty but a little on the thick size too Very soft


   Photo below is of the skein of the long white wool and the above after being wetted down on the niddy noddy to set the twist and let dry 
    Below photo shows dried, put into a skein and added to their cloth bags: the white wool skein goes with the rest to be spun, and the other Yellowstone colors cloth bag.
     Note: I learned years ago to Never store fibers or cloth fabrics in plastic bags, better to keep in cloth bags or old cotton pillow cases.  Resale shops are good places to find pillow cases if you need them.
   The fibers that I bought came from three different sellers all came in plastic, which is ok to mail in, but one of them was quite damp-thinking it was in the plastic too long before mailing.
   I have not had a problem with fabrics being in those large plastic storage containers with lids but plastic bags is a big No for long term storage especially fibers for spinning and spun fibers. 


This next yarn, I played with yesterday. I still have more of this roving so will make up more

Laying on fibers to the blending board


I decided to make into these rolags which I really liked-you pull the fiber from one end draft it out and you get one very long spun piece-if it doesn't break-smiles.


In those two bags of fibers to use for this purpose that I had bought-there were two large pieces of this pretty striped roving-I think the colors are so much prettier blending them together on the board opposed to what I have been doing-tearing off long lengths of the roving and then spin-just get the color you tear off doing that. These colors to me are Yellowstone


  Today I had two pieces of roving left to spin of that pretty tweed green-bamboo and merino wool.  I decided to make rolags out of the last of it, and also add a little bit of the darker green roving and a golden yellow 






I did spin one of these rolags this afternoon, but didn't get a photo yet. For some reason I had a more difficult time pulling the fiber out to spin-may have gotten it too tight. I want to go back to the video I shared yesterday-to make roving from the blending board. Will try that out tomorrow.

Here is a video by Ashford on how to use the blending board to make rolags-I love this company and  have several of their products

    My first purchase was back in the mid 1970's for one of their spinning wheels in kit form. I have not been able to concentrate long enough over the years, to figure out my wheel-which would speed up the spinning. This spinning wheel has been a struggle for me. After I bought it I was working allot of hours, had some life changes, moving around etc and then when I would have some time couldn't figure it out-back then no internet for help.  Years later I discovered they sent the wrong directions-wow-so I got it put together the right way but still couldn't get it to work right. One year I took it to Fiber U when I was taking a spinning class-she was telling me the different things I could do-didn't write it all down at the time-sigh  It's been a long story-still determined though to figure it out one day.

       Oh and  Ashford is a family business out of New Zealand


 Looking at what I have left to spin for my Yellowstone park inspired rauna or poncho, I need more blues and yellows. So I ordered 2 more art batts to make up my own on the blending board-less expensive and more fun too.

  Can't believe we are heading to the end of another week already. 

Happy March 1st everyone.

  

24 comments:

  1. Sorry you are not feeling well. Maybe your car battery needs charging? If you don't use your car often enough the battery needs to be kept charged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's possible, it's been cold at night, is an old car and I don't drive much

      Delete
  2. You have had a very productive week. I am loving the colors in the yarns off the blending board, especially the one with a bit of purple. You really are putting on quite a clinic for those of us who know so little about the process.
    Lots of rain is in our forecast; maybe I will just settle in with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I was hoping some would enjoy the videos and the process.
      we have rain coming in too-a good book sounds nice-I have a couple too

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed seeing these photos and the video, although much of this is still Greek to me. Sorry you are not well and hard to see a dr.

    I agree your car may need charging, but if it continues, you either need a new battery or you have an electrical short, which can be a nightmare to pin down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry was suggesting new battery too although it is only a couple years old-we'll try that first thanks

      Delete
  4. wow your colors are just amazing! Sorry the mice got into your other fibers.
    We are getting snow yet again. winter is having a hard time letting go.
    sorry for the car troubles I hate spending money on a car too. there are just so many other things I would rather spend on.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I am really happy with the results. sorry you are still getting snow-ugh we dealt with all that when we lived on the Illinois-Wisconsin border before retirement. we moved to Missouri for all 4 seasons but less severe winter weather-which is usually the case but not always.
      I am thinking try a new battery first, and if it's electrical we'll have to figure that out

      Delete
  5. So fun seeing your fiber work Kathy. Such pretty colors. Glad to know you have your own white elephant sitting in the room ( your spinning wheel and my sewing machine )lol We are expecting high winds today. 30-40 mph with 50+ gusts... pulled the trash can into the garage so it doesn't blow away.. chance of storm blowing in though i think it will miss us and develop more further East.. We could use the rain but not the hail etc.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right about our white elephants haha I would like to master it though I am just not very good at figuring out things like that-knowing what they need to work
      wow stay safe we had over 30 mile an hour winds here at the lake-and about an hour from us on the lake they had a mini tornado with a lot of dock damages-hope we don't ever get that.
      Hope you get missed-hugs

      Delete
  6. The colours all look so good and I want to reach right in and feel those soft fibres. Have fun, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, your colors are just fabulous -- really beautiful blends and I know they will look stunning when woven. Maybe I just missed something but why should I not store fiber in plastic bags? I went back to re-read and maybe I'm just dense and overlooking but I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much I am really enjoying the process. I sent you an email about using cloth bags for fibers

      Delete
  8. Hi Kathy. My last 2 days were busy and I was out all day so I'm behind stopping by. But I wanted to say how beautiful your colors are and the yarn your hand spinning and the others will all be great for weaving once you get them spun. I've never tried spinning before but I have friends who love it. I can't wait to see what the finish yarn looks like. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Erika, thank you so much for stopping by-I appreciate that-hugs I am enjoying playing with fibers again with a goal in mind for the weaving garment-hoping to improve my spinning as I go along I want to try to figure out what my spinning wheel needs adjusting too soon Happy Friday and weekend hugs

      Delete
  9. Reading about the fiber processes is like reading a foreign language half way. Love the names of things. They make weaving sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow these are just so beautiful. I am impressed with all that you do. Have a very nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did February go? I can't believe we are now into March!
    I think the colours all look very good here :)

    Hope you've had a good weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I was ready for February to go smiles Happy new week

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit