Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Orange Peel Ink Results

   It was a busy morning, and with rain mid day, I decided after our 2 pm main meal I would make the mandarin orange peel ink. This is recipe I used 

   At the end of the recipe she said to use baking soda to thicken-I believe that is a mistake.  I will be using the gum arabic instead.  Like with the avocado ink for the soda ash-that brings out the color I use Arm and Hammer Washing Soda instead-so much easier to come by, you will find it in the laundry detergent aisle, same ingredient and less expensive too.  One will not get the colors without using this in some of these inks.

  So for the most part I am following  her recipe bring to a boil-add the soda ash and then "cook" for 30 minutes. I brought the temperature to a low simmer. I tested the color 4 times, right away and then every 10 minutes. As I am typing this up waiting for the 30 minutes-I see a pretty useable color but not the pretty clear yellow as in the link. I will  wait and see--that is the fun part of working with botanicals either for ink or dye.

   Her recipe was vague as there were no quantities of orange peels listed and she said to add 2-3 tablespoons of the soda ash. I added  3 since I had a really full pot of peels but I think I would have gotten more towards yellow only using 2 tablespoons

Update:

  Results-no yellow sigh, but I did end up with a useable ink and some for watercolor paint. I filled two of the 4 ounce bottles I had purchased for inks, and grabbed another jar for the rest-can use that for a watercolor paint.  I ended up towards a yellow brown.

  In my experience with natural dyeing with botanicals it can be a challenge to achieve a clear yellow-it took me four fall seasons to finally obtain a lovely yellow from goldenrod at our woods home-by Not following the instructions and pulling the fiber as soon as I saw the yellow.

  I will try this again in the future, but I will add a little bit of the soda ash at a time-test for color-and then Not cook for 30 minutes, I thought that was way too long for this but I decided to follow her instructions for this first attempt. and she shows a pretty yellow.

Photos:



It would have been better to stop cooking at this point



Test strips-you can see more of yellow-although not a clear yellow in the first 10 minutes. After that went to brown-yellow


Saved the coffee filters-I bought a package of these smaller ones-ended up with 3 of these for art projects.


Still warm, whole clove added with drops of wintergreen essential oil for a preservative


I grabbed a watercolor brush-to see this on watercolor paper-still wet


This is glass dip pen and the ink-It will work for slow mail writing or art practices



I am a bit disappointed in myself that I did not fall back on my knowledge of achieving yellows but it's all good-always enjoy a project like this and did end up with a useable product.

  Am off to write this up in my journal while still fresh in my mind

Happy Creating

23 comments:

  1. No matter how you use your ink, with your beautiful glass pen or as a watercolor with a brush, it will surely be a lovely shade of yellow. I tried doing some of your natural botanical projects some years ago, but I may recall I didn’t want to cook. 😄 A big plus with the mandarin orange cooking is it must have had a lovely aroma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to see your experiments Kathy! Now you have a reason to eat more oranges! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes haha I would like to find blood oranges-those are to make a pretty ink

      Delete
  3. Kathy just catching up on your posts. What a great ink. Such a lovely color and to think it was made from Orange peels. These botanical inks are amazing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much-I have fun doing projects like this, they are much easier to do than the botanical dyes on cottons, silk, and wool and most of all take much less time to complete.. this is going to make into a nice paint-like a watercolor. so far I have not found the right writing paper for the ink to show up well. Enjoy your visits-hugs

      Delete
  4. You´re the Jamie Oliver from the art-section!
    A watercolor-brush? The one that came with my set looks like a normal brush. Oh, Germany, always way behind...

    Yupp, as long as it´s still fresh in the mind, I always do that, too!
    Hugs to the lake and you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I wish Jamie Oliver was on the tv here I need to search out a site for him-I always liked him too. Hugs back

      Delete
  5. Your made a great ink, Kathy. I am sure you will love using it in your snail mails. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia, thank you, so far I have not found the right paper so the writing shows up well to read-but if not it makes a great botanical paint like watercolors-dried really pretty

      Delete
  6. I like the colour you got very much, have fun using your ink! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, once dried on the watercolor paper-it was really beautiful I think I will be using it in my art practices

      Delete
  7. agree, these inks have a life of their own-smile

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty! I found an article about making watercolor - it's nothing new for you but I'm going to send it to you....thank you for the valentine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Debra, I am anxious to read about making watercolors. some of these inks I can use as a watercolor paint-but I have not searched out how to make them-if there is a difference You are welcome-I enjoyed making a few hugs

      Delete
  9. Great minds and all, RIGHT? You got a beautiful yellow. I think you did a lot more than I. I had no washing soda, so didn't add that to my dye bath. I should buy some. I think you got better results than I got with my fabric. Also, you didn't need as long to create your ink as I needed to dye my fabric. This ink turned out great, even if it isn't what you expected. We both had "semi" decent results because neither of us expected what we were going for. However, we both learned and we both got good products in the end. I am very impressed with your ink, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thanks for the inspiration-I didn't see much information online about using these peels for ink. I did see one for the red oranges-beautiful but I have not seen those in the stores here.
      After this ink dried on the watercolor paper-it was gorgeous with allot of depth-I want to use it for my next art practice. It is light enough that I have not found the right paper to use for writing slow mail-very light-prettier as a paint.
      that is the fun thing about these botanicals-never know what will come out of the dye-ink pot always a surprise. and a learning experience too. I am taking notes in a journal with these inks. never did with the dying as I was always trying something to new.
      I love the avocado ink very much-beautiful to write with.
      Thanks again Elizabeth

      Delete
  10. Mandarin orange peel ink! Fascinating, dear Kathy! I'm making a cleaning product out of mandarin orange peel, vinegar and a drop of dish soap. I've done it before - very effective.
    I admire your willingness to experiment and your perseverance - and unlike you, I am very happy with your yellow: I think it looks great!
    ALL THE BEST from Austria and happy Thursday!
    Traude
    ❤️
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/02/costa-rica-5-kapitel-la-paz-waterfall.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, awesome-I made a gallon of that years ago-thanks for the reminder-it works really well too. thanks-the color is growing on me haha especially using as a watercolor paint. Happy weekend coming up

      Delete
  11. LOL :)
    I did like the comment from Iris
    "You´re the Jamie Oliver from the art-section!"

    It's true!
    Nice to see your experiments and processes.
    This doesn't look a bad colour to me.

    Enjoy your February days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Jan-this color is growing on me-getting a deeper yellow now

      Delete
  12. Good work
    Have to say, reading too fast, I laugh when I think you're talking about food instead of ink. lol

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit