Saturday, February 11, 2023

Art Practice-Botanical Inks

   I wanted to share my latest art practice, and I am quite pleased with this one-used all botanical inks for this piece in my art journal.

  I started out wanting to see the orange peel ink after a couple days that it was made, and then added black walnut ink-which as soon as it hit the page-oops I should have watered it down a bit as it is a rich dark brown right out of the ink bottle. I grabbed a few other inks-added a fine salt for textures while still wet.

Below is after I added the salt to the top of the orange peel ink and also to the top of the black walnut ink.  I sorta see a mountain scene now-so I divided my blackberry ink into 3 small bottles. first one left alone, second one added baking soda, and third one a little vinegar.
   The one with baking soda gave me that pretty blue below the black walnut ink, so I thought if I added a little more baking soda it might give me a deeper blue-Wrong-went grey. I used the now light grey for highlights in the water-and lightly used it for the sky. Decided this needed a red sun-but now I have decided this is the red blood moon-smiles-from the avocado ink. Perfect for Erika's theme Red for AJJ



After looking at this the next day,  I did not like the lighter grey "mist" I had brushed over this piece especially over the orange peel ink.
   Sooo, I added in more of that orange ink-liking it much better, and grabbed the iron gall ink and glass dip pen to add in a few bushes-felt it needed a little something to tie it together.


Close up of the textures created from the fine salt -- once dry I brushed it off-although a little stuck to the ink which ended up ok




In the past I have always loved the "earthiness" from botanical dyeing on cottons or wool. Now I am really enjoying this journey with botanical inks, also used like watercolor paints for their earthy color hues.

Since I have a blood red moon will share on AJJ

  Next up will be my post of my ink making today-pleased with the two I made and I have a green now-smiles.


13 comments:

  1. Those inks and your additions on them really created some wonderful colors and textures. I see mountains too. I think you were smart to add the blood red moon because it looks great and is the perfect color addition. You really outdid yourself with this one. Thanks so much for sharing it for my challenge over at AJJ. That blood red moon is a wonderful red tone also. Have a great rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Erika, I love the avocado ink-paint, would make that again for sure as I love the color tones too This is one of my favorite pieces so far-happy weekend

      Delete
  2. You are so creative! And it came out really great. Ingo bought (chemical) ingredients for making soap years ago and never ever gets to that even, so sad.
    I´ll keep your ideas in mind for sure! Happy Sunday and hugs to your beautiful lake (it warmed up here, weird!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am really happy with this piece. did Ingo buy melt and pour? where you just heat up and put in the molds? this is how I make soap-easy and fun you can do it-hugs

      Delete
  3. This is VERY special! I can picture it framed. I Love it, especially the tiny trees.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I really love this one too-I need to search out what fixative to use to seal the colors and look for a frame-I had thought of that too

      Delete
  4. what a great idea with such homemade colors. It looks so beautiful with the full blood moon!
    Good new week, hug Elke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great colors, Kathy. Of course I love most shades of brown so no surprise. It’s also quite fun to read your notes on these experiments. Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit