Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Kaluha Recipe Share and a New Book I am Reading

  Good afternoon Wednesday,

I wanted to post my recipes for making homemade Kaluha and other fun "spirits" so easy, fun, delicious, and make awesome gifts as well.

I found the recipes on my older blog here is a link with several recipes and here too  also with some favorite sweets recipes. Enjoy!!

   I just picked up a book for my kindle that was on sale for .99 cents from my BookBub list titled Blue  by Nancy Bilyeau. Checking her other books her kindle books are running around $12.00 but I found some used books less than that.

    This book caught my eye as it is a historical fiction book deep rooted in real history about the porcelain dishes that were hand painted and the hunt for the newest Blue color.
     I am into the third chapter so far and I love the story, as Genevieve is being trained to be a spy to get the color Blue for Sir Gabriel and in trade he will help her get to Venice so she can study to be an artist.

  A description from Amazon: 

In eighteenth century London, porcelain is the most seductive of commodities; fortunes are made and lost upon it. Kings do battle with knights and knaves for possession of the finest pieces and the secrets of their manufacture.

For Genevieve Planché, an English-born descendant of Huguenot refugees, porcelain holds far less allure; she wants to be an artist, a painter of international repute, but nobody takes the idea of a female artist seriously in London. If only she could reach Venice. 

When Genevieve meets the charming Sir Gabriel Courtenay, he offers her an opportunity she can’t refuse; if she learns the secrets of porcelain, he will send her to Venice. But in particular, she must learn the secrets of the colour blue… 

The ensuing events take Genevieve deep into England’s emerging industrial heartlands, where not only does she learn about porcelain, but also about the art of industrial espionage. 

With the heart and spirit of her Huguenot ancestors, Genevieve faces her challenges head on, but how much is she willing to suffer in pursuit and protection of the colour blue? 


13 comments:

  1. I've heard you can make your own flavored spirits but had no idea how to do it. The coffee liquor sounds yummy and so easy as you said. And the book sounds like a good read. I take it your eyes are really getting better. Hurrah! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the spirits are really allot of fun to make-you can make your own vanilla extract too. yes my eyes are improving-so thankful hugs Kathy

      Delete
  2. I won’t be making spirits but my husband has made beer and wine, he may be interested. They are always good, but only a few sips for me. Bud Light is about all I can handle, and sometimes even feel that too much. Lol. One of my new favorite genres is historical fiction, I’ll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have almost all the ingredients on hand for your Crunchy Bars. I have been so hungry lately for something sweet, so I was excited to see this gf recipe here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might be interested to know that a new blue shade has been found. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/05/12/first-new-shade-blue-discovered-200-years-turned-crayola-crayon/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good book, enjoy! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the links to the recipes. I remember making Baileys Cream, its cheap enough to buy these days and there are some good offers around especially at Christmas time.
    Enjoy your book it sounds a good one.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That book is timely with the recent discovery of a new blue color, the first in 200 years I think I read! They're turning it into a crayon, and I'm going to be buying whatever set is the first to include it :) https://mymodernmet.com/new-blue-crayon/

    The recipes sound fun to make. Thx! And the pecans sound delicious. I'm saving that recipe to try next Christmas.

    Thx again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the crayons https://shop.crayola.com/color-and-draw/crayola-crayons-96-ct.-plus-4-bonus-crayons-with-bluetiful-523100A000.html

      I am sooo glad that you and CJ mentioned this new color blue-I wonder if places like wal mart have these yet-I am off to check amazon and ebay

      Delete
    2. well, I ended up buying them on crayola's site-this link gives you 4 crayons of the new color-the other boxes only have 1. I had fun discovering their site and bought a few oils, and pencils-fun lol

      Delete
  8. Love Kaluha! Used to make my own using vanilla beans years ago. With the price of vanilla beans these days I don't think I'll be making any :(

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit