Saturday, October 20, 2018

Thanking Eileen & A Question

A couple posts back  I had asked about glues.
   I had this idea to use tracing paper-stamp on to it-and then glue it down to the card-using construction paper to keep the card lighter. Eileen did several experiments with glues and posted about it-thanks again to Eileen-link to her post in above linked post.
   
  Last year I had bought silver and gold metallic Encore inks-they are beautiful but I am discovering they take forever to dry-and now I am thinking they just do not dry well at all. I am wondering now if my Christmas postcards I made last year got smeared in the mail?

  I used Elmer's all purpose craft glue and the ink was rubbing off. No good. I stamped about 9 pieces several days ago just assuming they would be dry-Not.  
   So I did a google search on this issue-and most users are saying these Encore inks just never really dry. So I am wondering why then are they still being sold or at least with instructions on how to set the ink so it does not smear??
  Suggestions were to emboss them-don't know what that is, or heat set them-is that with a hair dryer?? but in the end they still will probably not be completely dry. ugh

  So have any of you used the Encore metallic inks??  if so how did you get them to dry. 
    I can see I need to rethink my Christmas cards technique.
  thanks much

Update:  I have redesigned my cards and I am loving them now-stamping (changed to Staz on inks) on construction paper and then gluing down with a glue stick-working perfectly happy dancing 😄

8 comments:

  1. Can’t really help with specific questions Kathy, except I know my friend makes cards endlessly and uses a small specific heat gun that directs hot air exactly where needed. I don’t think she uses a hair dryer which I imagine would give a more diffuse hot air flow. Others here will surely know a better and more complete answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to heat gun to set pigment inks. It was way hotter than a hairdryer. nad the air doesn't blow out and such a big area. Pigment inks don't air dry very well-or take forever. You should look for some dye inks which are water based and dry quicker than pigment inks. They don't need to be heat set. I don't know about encore inks, but it would probably be less money to get dye based inks than buy a heat gun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Erika, I think I won't be using those encore inks-at least they did not work at all on the tracing paper--I just posted an update blog too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the mention (again;-) Kathy. I checked and the postcard you sent me last year is still perfectly clear and shimmery. It's a lovely vintage look card and I keep the it in my mail art collection.

    I think the card stock you used last year is a bit porous - not smooth as ice like some card stock. So the Encore Ink could be absorbed a bit leaving less on the surface that needed to dry.

    Amazon (https://amzn.to/2S3Rpwr) has craft heat guns starting at $12. You might do better at Michael's with a 50% off coupon.

    I'm glad you solved the problem and would love to see you happy dancing ;-)

    Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Eileen-I am glad that last years post cards worked out ok-I thought they were dry when I mailed them off-I am thinking you are right it depends on the type of paper used as to how those encore inks will dry-I used blank postcards for those and it was a heavy stock paper-and I just tried a stamp of encore on construction paper and it dried too--I guess the tracing paper is the issue here then--well one does not know til they try lol Perhaps Elizabeth will see this and put some insight into it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're having fun creating your Christmas cards! Glad you found a solution 😀. Have a great day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope by now that someone has shown you what heat embossing is. You begin with the ink (like the ink that won't dry), then place embossing powder or EP over it. Shake it off and place the remains of the EP back in the jar. Tap the back of the image to remove the last of the EP, then use a heat gun (NOT HAIR DRYER) to set the EP. I love it when the EP goes from dull to glossy. Be sure to keep moving the gun, though, or you will burn both the paper and the EP. SORRY I am so very late visiting, dear.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit