Friday, June 22, 2018

Cast Iron Summer Recipes on a Friday

  Now that it is a bit cooler-finally-for a few days, I am thinking of setting up my dutch ovens outdoors over the weekend and bake a pie. I have fresh lemons in the frig and we love lemon meringue pie so that may be what I bake-not sure yet depends how I feel.
   I also have a Bobs Red Mill gluten free raisin bread mix I may just bake up in the dutch oven as well. (knowing that bread should bake up better smiles)

   I thought I would share some links to delicious food cooked-baked-grilled in your cast iron pieces. These links have some really nice dishes of all sorts.

From    Bon Appetit   large variety of 50 recipes-they all look                                               delicious from meats-pizza, veggies more

From   Southern Living  Using your cast iron on the grill

From   Epicurious   Lots of recipe ideas here as well over 30




Here is a photo of one my last lemon meringue pies-sooooo good baked outdoors




   I had closed down my weekly cast iron Fridays do to lack of participation, interest for a weekly event Soooo since cast iron is my choice kitchen utensil both indoors on my big Wolf stove and outdoors I thought I would still share recipes from time to time on Fridays
   It has been dreadfully hot and humid here the last 6 weeks which has taken me away from bringing out my dutch ovens. I am thinking September and October will be my main months this year to do that.

   Hoping some of you may have gotten those cast iron skillets out and baked up or grilled something since our last visit to cast iron.

  And if you can't get outdoors either here is a recipe for skillet smores in the house-of course you could make this outdoors in a 
dutch oven as well here is the recipe   

skillet-s'mores



At the same site I also found grilled peach smores-now those sound and look delicious!





Happy weekend everyone!!

9 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, that lemon meringue pie looks scrumptious! it amazes me that you are able to bake in cast iron over a fire. and now I'm hungry for S'mores! ;) thanks for visiting my 'Smiles' post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dianne, I think I am hungry for s'mores too after seeing those photos (smile)
      Happy weekend

      Delete
  2. Yum! Especially lemon meringue pie, my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes please I would love a piece of your yummy lemon meringue pie! I've been making pavlova recently with all the summer berries we have at the moment, they taste so good 😁. Happy Friday and wishing you a wonderful weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh your pavlova sounds delicious too especially if you get some fresh eggs-perfect for summer time
      Enjoy your weekend too-hugs

      Delete
  4. It's far too hot to bake in the house, and far too hot to light a fire outside. I don't think we had a spring at all, but went from cold to hot in the blink of an eye this year. I'm so inspired by those smores. They look fabulous, and of course, I love the pie, too. So enjoyable to see your Friday cast iron summer recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I would love a piece of the lemon and meringue pie, it does look delicious. It was lovely to see your cooking recipes today.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit