Sunday, May 19, 2024

Cicadas & Gluten Free Baking

  Happy Sunday, It's been a hot one here with high humidity-feels like a July day here instead of a May day.

  I finished up my shopping early this morning-left the house at 6 am and it was already very humid. Larry sleeps later these days so I set him up with his coffee in a thermos mug, and his greek yogurt-fruit-granola in a small wide mouth thermos so he would be all set up for the morning. I got back home around 8:30 and he had just started his breakfast so that worked out perfect.

  Here at the lake home we have been listening to the sounds of the cicadas. I think they hang out in the trees. Today they are very loud. When I went into  town I didn't hear them at all. I do see a few dead ones around our driveway. Back 15 years ago I think it was when we were living at the woods house-this cicada event was quite something. We could see the swarms of them and the noise was much louder than here at the lake.  

  Do you have the cicadas where you are living? I am thinking this event is mostly in rural areas, as they come out of the ground.

  I am changing my gluten free baking flour. 

     I had figured out on my own, probably back in the 80's that I had celiac disease. Back then the doctors had no clue what was wrong with me, one even insisted I had mono-ahh nope don't think so. When the test came back negative he didn't know how to help me.

    I figured it out  on my own with food elimination to see what was making me sick  If you don't know you have a gluten intolerance the gluten foods will destroy your digestive system and you continue to lose weight. When they hadn't figured out what this was in the past it was called wasting disease as you get thinner and thinner. That was happening to me until I figured.it out 

 So back in my younger days, there were no labels on store bought foods for gluten ingredients, so it was quite the process and research to figure out what to eat-and wheat is in soooo many store bought foods Don't remember what year the govt decided gluten in foods needed to be labeled. 

   I had started out mixing up my own flour blends for baking learning as I went a long back then. I did totally give up on trying to make yeast breads. I tried so many recipes and nothing gave me good results. Now I have found a really good  gluten free bread that most grocery stores carry now. 

    Over time Bob's red mill came out with their 1-1 gluten free flour blend and I have mostly been baking with that now, however doesn't work for yeasted breads. Most things like cookies, brownies, biscuits, quick breads and my pizza crust come out pretty good with that flour-and it is easy.

That flour blend has a lot of carbs in it though both white and brown rice plus other starches and xanth, gum.  I am not all the crazy about the xanth. gum but seems to be needed in gluten free baking--or not

Scrolling on Instagram last week,  I ran into a gluten free site and she has changed my mind to go back to mixing up my own gluten free flour blend again. She has figured out if you use a sweet brown or white rice or mochi we don't need xanth. gum . She says this will bake well for cakes, cookies etc but not breads. I haven't gotten into her site all the way to discover how she is baking breads.

  This site I found is From the Larder  she also has a Facebook group. She shares a lot of information and also recipes. If I had a chemistry type aptitude it would be easier to understand how she has combined flours to work for different things.  She shares  downloadable pages explaining all the different flours make from grains, nuts, etc.

  I don't know if I have any followers that need gluten free but I wanted to share her site as it is very informative. She is based in England and insists better accuracy to weigh by grams and not cups. I cans see why when I was mixing up the flour blend as some were more heavier than others.  

  I did set up my flour grinder on my kitchenaid mixer to grind the rice-I used to grind most of my flour and this set up does a good job and it's fun too  smiles



That's it for me, hope I didn't bore my readers too much.

  Happy new week ahead

23 comments:

  1. Glad you figured out you had Celiac disease -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I hadn't thought about that in awhile I had gotten down to 100 pounds before i figured it out

      Delete
  2. Wow, good for you for grinding your own flours. I don't have gluten issues but I have friends who do, and back when they found out it was tough to find gluten free flours unlike now. And the one to one mixes have gotten so much better. I've done some gluten free baking when they will be at an event. I hope your weather cools off. No cicadas here yet, but they say it will be a loud year when they hatch. Have a great week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the 1-1 gf flours are pretty nice my favorite is from Bob's Red Mill anxious to try out this new flour blend. the cicadas are really loud

      Delete
  3. It's a good thing you found out that you can't tolerate gluten.
    Today it is not as difficult as it used to be to produce food without gluten... there are an incredible number of other options besides wheat and the like.
    I've been baking my bread for about 3 years now... usually from whole rye grain - I also grind it myself - sourdough bread... it's delicious. Every now and then I bake other grains, such as buckwheat and also crushed linseed or almond flour, coconut flour, hazelnut flour. I really enjoy trying something new every now and then. And actually it always tastes good - if the feeling for the ingredients is right.
    Then I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll find lots of great recipes with which you can make something delicious for yourself.
    I love baking.
    A hug to you from Viola
    p.s. We don't have cicadas, but from June we hear the crickets and have the hay horses and I'm happy about that, because then it's really summer and only when summer is over in September is there suddenly silence again. Actually, I'm always a little sad when there's silence in the field because summer and especially the warm summer evenings are so beautiful.
    Because when the silence sets in it gets cooler and colder... and colder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at my grandparents farm when I was younger, I would listen to the crickets too-I forgot about that so thank you for sharing.

      Delete
    2. Years ago I baked all of our bread-so many choices and I always enjoyed it too. I did a lot with sourdough back then too-very rewarding and you can make it healthier too

      Delete
  4. No cicadas in our area yet (Nashua, NH), Cathy, at least none the I have heard or seen to date. Glad you found a solution to the gluten issue. I know that I do not have an intolerance because my weight has not dramatically dropped.😟

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cicadas will be coming when it warms up more they were closer to the house yesterday and very loud-they hang out in the trees.
      One gets really sick too when eating gluten foods it was hard for me to figure it out back then

      Delete
  5. You never bore Kathy!! :) lol We do have cicadas here but not a lot i don't think.. Love to hear them... I saw quite a few in Arkansas This might sound morbid but i would love to get my hands on one of shells of cicada after they molt. i think they are so cool. I have never found one stuck on a tree or anything you? So so hot here... a week of 100 degree temps and i'm sure its just the beginning.. Starting too early... uuughh.. My petunias are looking at me like what the heck!!! lol Well i'm off to weedeat two batteries worth! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sooo relate to weedeat and batteries-smiles I saw just a wing on the floor it must have got stuck in my shoe-I said Larry look how cool I could maybe use it for art-ah No way and go wash your hands haha I did end up tossing it. this happens every 15 years here they are very loud.
      100's are a bit much for me too we are do for one of those this year. I decided not to buy and annuals or other flowers this year-and the annuals just do not survive after mid July and I do love petunia. I am soooo behind cleaning up the weed mess where most of the perrenials are

      Delete
  6. Dear Kathy, I enjoyed reading your post! You ask whether we have cicadas - yes, there are, we have 650 native cicada species in Austria, but many of them are classified as endangered. And not all cicadas make the loud noises.
    I know how difficult it is to get an illness correctly diagnosed. And I also know how difficult it used to be to get pastries without wheat. My daughter doesn't have gluten intolerance, but as a child she suffered from neurodermatitis and therefore shouldn't eat wheat, rye, yeast, sour fruits or cow's milk products. It was complicated and relatively expensive, but we did it and her skin is doing very well now.
    I think it's great that you found a good website with tips!
    All the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/05/weltreise-2024-4-station-tasmanien-teil.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Traude, wow I had no idea there were so many different cicadas the ones we have here live in the ground and emerge every 15 years there is another cicada that emerges every 7 years I shouldn't be do much dairy but have gotten back into keifer, I got a major skin rash this year that will not go away I need to search that out hadn't thought about food doing it it is difficult to figure some health issues out glad she is doing better-hugs

      Delete
  7. We're told cicadas are missing us this year. I hope that's true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure what states were getting these that emerge every 15 years

      Delete
  8. You can go shopping on a Sunday???
    It must be wonderful to listen to cicadas... summer-feeling, no? Here in the city we don´t have them...
    I am truly thankful I can eat and drink anything...
    No. You didn´t bore... you made me thankful...
    Hugs, you manage great....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Iris, yes I remember when I was a kid at home when the govt passed a law for shopping on sundays-it was also near the time of the huge shopping malls. I still remember in church the preacher was against it.
      It is pretty cool to listen to all the cicadas here in Missouri it happens every 15 years when they emerge from the ground to breed.
      good health is important to work at obtaining hugs

      Delete
  9. Interesting post, mixing flour. A few years ago I tried going gluten free. I did feel brighter, less of a heavy feeling, but not enough to go full gluten free. I know a person that tried around the time I did. With him, it was like night and day, feeling lousy to wondeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are probably some people that don't know they have it-also reading labels on foods and looking for only real food ingredients not extra sugar or salt or chemicals

      Delete
  10. Hi,
    Thank you for sharing about the flour. Yes, I have just changed my diet to gluten free. It has changed my tummy so much, I am so thankful.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome if you have any questions the author is good at responding too

      Delete
  11. Thanks, I thought that may be the link, as I am not on Instagram I wasn't sure.

    Enjoy the rest of Friday and have a good weekend.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit