Monday, November 6, 2023

Good Morning Monday Update & Bamboo Tootbrushes

   Good Morning Friends,

    As dawn approaches this morning we have a beautiful sky-before sunrise. Lots of different reds and oranges. I have not been taking photos do to still not being able to see photos on the computer-need a new monitor we had been thinking, but with Larry's fall in early October just haven't decided if I want to look for a new monitor or wait til I get a new computer as well. The one I have is pretty old.

   Sadly Larry had another setback with his recovery over the weekend. The hospital area he was in for rehab was so poor monitoring his health recovery that we are now thinking he had the start of a urinary infection early on and the pain of course got worse over his stay there and even worse since being home. 

  Over the weekend it was horrible so I had no choice but to call 911.  He did have a serious infection, they added the catheter back in and sent him home. Told him to call our doctor for removal on Monday-which means a 911 ambulance transport to and  from. With all this going on he has had no rehab since being home-which is worrisome as his legs are getting worse since he is still bedridden. 

  Friday I got papers in the mail from the hospital for a review of his month stay there-I need to get my thoughts clear and write about what happened there-so many mistakes-but write it so they will read in and improve-hopefully.

  I am still getting no sleep-if I am lucky 3 to 4 hours in a 24 hour period since Larry has been home-this will be the third week home. He needs a pill every 4 hours, so I ended up ordering an alarm clock that uses a battery with a very loud ringer to wake me up. Just when I think I can get 4 hours sleep Larry calls for help with something. 

  I am going to call the in home healthcare we are using early today and see if they can send his nurse out to take the catheter out-makes more sense to me than using the 911 ambulance for transport.

   On a different topic I have been thinking about changing over to bamboo toothbrushes since they can be recycled in different ways and change from toothpaste to chewable tablets instead.  I took the plunge this morning and ordered both to try. I did find this article on different ways to recycle the toothbrushes-here  I thought most of their ideas were very doable. Have you switched over to a more recyclable way of teeth cleaning?  

  We are supposed to have a few 70 F degree days early this week-I have sooo much to do out there too-perhaps I can burn some tree limbs and leaves if not windy.

  I did look out our windows towards the lake early one morning before sunrise, to see a buck deer walking along the lake front-that was awesome and made my day.

Happy new week everyone

19 comments:

  1. Good Morning Kathy... I'm so sorry to hear about Larry's setback and really still not receiving the help you need. Reminds me of Alvin having the beginning of gout before he even left the hospital after heart surgery.. then full blown gout when he got home.. Which i then found out is common after a major surgery... I hope Larry gets on the road to recovery soon AND you get some sleep! Thinking of you my friend.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kathy, I'm so sorry you and Larry are going through such a challenging time. There is nothing easy about caretaking and I feel for you. And for him. Good luck with the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Larry recovers soon, and you take care of yourself because you are very important to his care. Greetings Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that you have so many probems just now, you really have a lot on your plate. It would be good if you had more nursing help, I know how you feel, I cared for my husband, who was in a wheelchair, for 17 years and it was hard time, and I had to work as a teacher, too. Please get help so you don't have to do everything! Hope Larry feels a bit better soon. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Valerie, we do have an in home health care team-the nurse is once a week and as soon as possible mostly rehab so he can get out of bed and into a wheelchair. this hospital caused so many issues that have made things worse for him sadly our health care in this country is no longer as good as it used to be working and caring for our loved ones is very difficult I did that when Larry had his first major heart attack-that came with a severe staff infection and was in the hosp for 6 months and a long recovery afterwards. 17 years was a long time for you- hugs Kathy

      Delete
  5. Oh, dear Kathy... this really reads like a horror-story with Larry.
    What do those people think with driving him to and back instead of sending one person in a normal car over? Not understandable.
    All the stress, the movement...
    Back then with Ingo I had to bring him in and get him back so often - also not better.
    Glad I had a car back then!

    Really, I hope I never get sick unexpected cause then I´d end up in that hospital, too!
    If "planned" you can bring your loved ones to a proper one, which I did.

    I hope you two get proper help soon, seesh, to be up all 4 hours, it would take me ages to fall back to sleep!

    We have an electrical toothbrush and will stick to that as my dentist was soooo happy with my teeth :-)
    But great you go for alternatives! Every bit counts!

    70F - wow!! We have 50...
    A deer at the lake, oh, dear, that is unexpected ;-)
    Hugs to you and the lake, and well-wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this has been a horror story for sure hopefully I got it worked out now we'll see I have been using an electric toothbrush too but I thought I would try some different the deer was a total surprise we have seen young deer walking in my flowers this summer but the buck deer by the lake was pretty cool too bad I couldn't enjoy the warm weather today oh well-hugs back

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry and it is harder to come back from injury at our age. I hope he gets therapy soon. A UTI is no fun either and can have weird ways it come out.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for sure Larry turned 78 in october-in the hosp for sure harder to recover

      Delete
  7. Hopefully, it will be a better week for both of you. I think of you often and am wishing the best for you. It's a lovely time of the year. Enjoy those beautiful lake views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for thinking of us, the home nurse came in around 5pm today-took all day to get this set up and approved by medicare. Hoping he has a restful night-computer visit with the doctor tomorrow morning fall is lovely here just like it was in the woods

      Delete
    2. Sounds like life has been a bit crazy still Kathy. Sorry to hear about Larry's UTI. If it's not one thing it's another, isn't it? I hope you can get some sleep. Don't forget to take care of yourself too. Otherwise you won't be much good for Larry or anything else. But you know that. Take care. hugs-Erika

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry for the relapse in your husbands health. It must be hard for you as well for him. I do hope and pray, his health improves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry that both you and Larry are going through such a difficult time. It is scary to think that the re-hab doesn't take good care of him. Hope you can get some rest and have a better week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers continue. It is good Larry is home. Even with the issues to deal with, home has a healing vibe hospitals don't have.
    Toothbrushes, I didn't think of them until your post. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no. I was hoping Larry was getting better. I would be writing a scathing review if it was me. Hopefully you can get a nurse to come out. How awesome to see that buck. Prayers for you both. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm watching Call The Midwife which takes place in the 1960's when doctors and nurses made house calls and checked on their patients frequently. It sounds like that would be a big help to you right now. So sorry about Larrry's setback and the extra stress on you as well. After taking care of sick parents and MIL, I know how difficult and frustrating care in the US can be. Praying for Larry to feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit