Sunday, May 8, 2022

T Stands for Tuesday Birds

   Welcome to T where we share a drink related photo and link up with friends, with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth-link in my sidebar

  Wow, roller coaster weather happening here at the lake-actually typical some years here in the Ozarks in Missouri. Last week soooo much rain again one 24 hour period we had over 2 inches of rain. We had rain most of April and it has continued into May. So of course this is a spring of flooding in the rivers and low areas. Over the weekend we got cold enough for the heat to come on, if the woodstove here would have been safe to use I would have had a fire built for sure.

  Many years when we have a cold spring with rain it will suddenly jump right into summer weather skipping right over spring-and that is exactly what it is doing here this week. Monday begins several days of 90 degrees F  and into the high 80's F for the rest of the week. Just not ready for that already

    Of course I am just soooo far behind with my yard project and the grass is very tall.  I spent a whole morning using a weed killer during a window of opportunity with no rain and warm enough temperatures but it ended up not working as a day after we got the onslaught of rains.  We ended up ordering one of those weed eaters so will see if I can learn to use it, to knock this down.

   On a positive note though-we are sooooo enjoying all of the bird visitors. I wasn't able to use my large seed feeders over the winter do to the too many squirrels so I have been tossing it on to the floor of the deck. The beautiful orioles both the Baltimore and Orchard orioles are still here, along with a handful of hummingbirds. I have three feeders out now. The orioles do not usually nest in this area so I think we have seen them here for a longer period do to the storms. We also have at least 6 pairs of the rose breasted grosbeaks-so beautiful and the first time I have seen them in person. I have admired them in bird magazine photos. It took some searching to discover that the female was a grosbeak She has the markings of a sparrow but a larger bird-so she was a mystery to us for awhile

Here is a photo we found on the internet-wow she is a grosbeak (smiles)



Here are some photos I took last week, please excuse the poor quality-I have a very old digital camera that I am still using This first photo is a grosbeak pair


we get a variety of finches here



This photo below was taken in front of the house-to the left of the steps and hill




The male goldfinch is in full color


We enjoy many of the different woodpeckers here You can see from this photo we are up close for bird watching-and for chasing off the too numerous squirrels





 For my drink share one day last week I made another margarita but used frozen blueberries and strawberries with lots of ice




 Friday I received happy mail from Elle in Scotland-I love everything-thank you so much The cadbury candy bar is missing as I broke it in half and shared with Larry Isn't the tag so beautiful? thank you so much Elle and I love those plaids






I also wanted to share that I have started Food Wednesdays a link up for sharing posts about Foods-a way to share food recipes and information about foods.

Happy T Everyone


34 comments:

  1. Loe all the birds that are visiting, you have lots off birds that we dont have here. Enjoy your drink, happy T Day! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, we have been happy to bring in allot of different birds this spring hugs

      Delete
  2. How nice to receive Elle's package. That was fast. Maybe my package will arrive this week, too.

    My foodie friend Sally put several bird feeders out. As a belated birthday gift, I bought her suet, which she wanted for one of the feeders. I asked her how she knew what each bird was and she said she bought a book so she could tell what each bird was.

    Your blueberry and strawberry margarita sounds refreshing. It has a pretty color, too. Thanks for sharing your margarita and the birds with us for T this week, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that Elle's package came through really fast too, the one I sent to Iris in Germany went through in less than 2 weeks so that's fast.
      Larry knows allot of the birds, but we have several bird books too, and Missouri conservation has excellent online information too.
      Happy T

      Delete
  3. Oh how i miss the birds in AR! I haven't started feeding them here yet... I'm sure i will though... While in AR someone told me sometimes you have to stop feeding the Orioles so they will move on to their nesting grounds ... It never came to that but close.. What a lovely package from Elle! Off on my dawn walk..uuughh. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, we have always enjoyed feeding the birds. I don't think that is is true about the orioles staying too long. allot of times when there are major storms in their path they will stay longer before moving on. haha I am thinking it is really hot by you too I am not ready for cold to 90 plus degrees for sure

      Delete
  4. What a great post! Seeing your birds has again tempted me to put out some sunflower seeds. When I was researching the House Finch, I read that they love sunflower seeds. I also love that you shared your candy bar with Larry! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These little red finches love the sunflower seeds. I had never seen this cadbury choc. bar before either it was really good

      Delete
  5. I miss my birds from Indiana. I have yet to know most of the varieties here that were not there. We do have Raven and Crows and lots of finches. There is one small bird, smaller than the Hummers that hang around the creek by the Ostrich. The are so small and fast I can't get a really good look at them. I'm thinking they must be some type of wren.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, I find birds so fun and interesting to watch. It was quite the adventure figuring out who we thought a sparrow was. do you have a bird book? we have three different ones, and then if your state has a good conservation site online usually is a good source too for identifying hugs

      Delete
  6. Peanut is a bit... well... he feels guilty... for his cousin´s behavior.
    Beautiful birds at the lake!
    Hmmm, yummy drink! (and cuppa)
    Yay for happy mail!
    I am... 60% sure you´ll get a new guest on Wednesday (he promised).
    Hugs from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. google just posted 4 of your comments haha
      we have sooooo many of the small grey squirrels here with no predators so they will just take over all the seed if we don't shoo them away.
      this was a yummy margarita for sure thanks for spreading the word for Food Wednesdays hugs

      Delete
    2. Darn google/blogger! How did that happen?! Well, so far... I still wait for input for tomorrow!

      Delete
  7. The weather this spring has been crazy, hasn't it? We've been on the cooler side but are supposed to hit the 80's by Friday. Spring into summer I guess. And I love the birds coming back too. Nice grosbeaks. I hope you have a great T day Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, these 90's are just a bit much from low 70's haha suppose to be like this all week, I did get allot of weeding done today though. we have always enjoyed bird watching. Happy T

      Delete
  8. what a joy to see so many varieties of birds isn't it... I only wish I was able to get some good pictures like you do. That margarita will also be good when you get those summer high temps this week:)
    Glad to hear your package from Elle arrived quickly and intact. Love that plaid. I have been so disillusioned by our US mail system these last months.
    Enjoy, and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the mail goes right through fast to other countries, and then a slow mail to my friend in Arkansas takes a week sometimes-so not sure why that is. I love the plaids too and the tag was special.
      we really enjoy the birds we sit and watch them right through the glass windows facing the lake. Happy T

      Delete
  9. Kathy, some fabulous bird pictures! If I lived where you did, I would either be glued to my window or outside all the time. Soooo pretty. That drink looks and sounds fabulous (wonder if we could say it is healthy too? - lol). Happy T-day!!! Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning-we do that allot of mornings-they are so entertaining well the juice was 100% juice so a little healthy-

      Delete
  10. Hi Kathy, love those birds, never seen a grosbeak before. Glad you received the happy mail, I just sent you an email xx Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time seeing a grosbeak they are really beautiful and just a very calm bird too

      Delete
  11. We had a grosbeak on our patio one year. Such excitement! They aren't regular visitors, but people closer to the woods see them. There are goldfinches and woodpeckers around here, and we get the woodpeckers on the patio but not the goldfinches. You live in a great place for bird-watching! Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, yes we have a bigger variety of birds here at the lake, and we can watch them very close up too so we can identify and enjoy them more

      Delete
  12. You have so many feathered friends visiting, how wonderful! I see the seed on the railing is what is drawing them all in. Enjoy your yummy margarita and your happy mail too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, we have been feeding seed all winter and this spring brought in many new birds I think I will continue offering a little seed summer too

      Delete
  13. I'm ready for your jump right into Summer weather! We'll be getting a taste of it at the end of the week in the 80s. Such a nice variety of birds at your feeder. I love the female grossbeak because I always think she looks like a little hawk when I see her. Such fun happy mail. The awesome tag makes me think of Outlander as the stag is part of Jamie's crest. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I thought of Outlander too! and love the plainds.
      the grosbeak pair is such an enjoyment to watch. She is really beautiful too, and they are just calm, don't go after any other birds either.
      this heat is a hard to take as it started right off after being cold the night before and it comes with very high humidity along with the 90's so a shock to our systems for sure. but better than rain for sure

      Delete
  14. Sounds like the weather can't make up its mind, let's hope it's more settled soon! The birds look amazing, I loved seeing all those colourful finches - amazing 😀. Elle really pulled out all the stops with those beautiful gifts, didn't she - it was so thoughtful and kind of her to treat us all! Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes this was very special from Elle. we have been really enjoying the birds-hoping next week the weather will go back to spring-hugs

      Delete
  15. Our weather is similar to yours as far as up and down, right now in high 90s. thanks for sharing your lovely birds with us. That is great you get such a Varity. I have been out of town so am late with my happy t day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon I am reading this hot weather is very wide spread, but in Montana and Yellowstone they got lots of snow this week-we are really enjoying the variety of birds. Happy T hugs

      Delete
  16. Oh my! What a wonderful variety of birds you get ( I miss our caravan for that mostly) Sorry to read of the rain and the massive jump in temperatures. Hope you can get some work done in your garden, hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, we do really enjoy watching the birds very much. we finally got into the 80's (the weekend) and hoping the strong storms and hail will miss us. Happy T

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit