Sunday, February 4, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday and First Fabric Pages Completed

  T Stands for Tuesday is where we share a drink related post with friends. You are most welcome to join us with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth. Find the link in my right hand column.

  I want to thank all of you that answered my question about glues to use with my rubber-wood stamps.  Looking my stamps over again I am thinking they used the sticky papers to attach but then might never had used the stamps and sat a long time. Don't know if that is why they are coming apart or not.
   I have always had wooden-rubber stamps that are already glued down more permanately.
     I started using a second set of stamps and they are doing the same thing-sigh I have never had this happen before--I have rubber cement glue on hand already so I am going to try that first. I did take notes on your other suggestions too.

   Sunday morning:     I have a finish with my opening page and my January pages for my 2018 Fiber Art Journal. 
     This past week I have taken things apart, and have done several stampings. I now know that synthetic fabrics causes the ink to really run. I got around it a little bit by stamping very very lightly. 
   The synthetic ribbons I had purchased really spread with out being super careful. I also coffee dyed a vintage package of polyester tape for use in sewing. That also ran with out being very light on the stamps.

   I brewed a very strong pot of hub's coffee brought it to a simmer in the pot and let the tape soak in the coffee "dye" bath overnight. I took out the tape and hung to dry-no rinsing.

(All photos will enlarge just click on them)



I forgot to take a photo of my first attempt when the ink really spread-the bottom tape was stamped on the coffee dyed tape-I tossed that piece.
   Cotton fabric though will stamp nicely without running



Here are some photos:



I used cotton fabric-the same that is under the handmade corn husk paper-to stamp January


I did add the date to the wolf moon but I used yellow wool thread so it would not take away from the wolf stamp
  I used a chain stitch around the vintage yellow silk fabric-that turned out so so I didn't want to take that apart again.
  And the quote "Excuse me but we need more corn" came from our CJ Kennedy in a post reply-I had to use it as it just fit so perfectly. (yes she gave me permission)


I really wanted to add in a Muscovy duck to this page as they still visit us every day-actually the pair arrives early in the morning, eat a little from the left over corn from the day before, sleep by my computer desk window, and then eat again in late afternoon and fly off.   We are hoping they will stick around and nest here.
     I looked online for a stamp and only found one-it was too large and too expensive.  So I looked online for a coloring page and found this one. I printed it on vintage Eaton typing paper which is kinda cool it has texture and it has an emblem stamped into the middle of the paper. After printing it I took a black fine point sharpie and traced on top of the image.  (One of these days I will look into the right ink and figure out how to copy on to fabrics)



I sewed on this vintage beaded lace around the tree for snow. In my stash I found these snowflakes that I sewed on with wool thread.


I added the white puff paint around my Thinking of spring which was stamped on the coffee dyed tape This was my third attempt of stamping lightly. Still a little spreading of the letters but not as bad as before.




This is the opening page completed now with the wording




This is how the pages will be sewn together. The left side of opening page will be sewn to the cover piece. then the above page (which is on the right hand side)  will be sewn to the back of the left side of the January page-and then you continue on that way to finish.
   I want to thank Elizabeth again for helping me figure out how to sew this together. (my head just could not get a grasp on it)  I want to add the little beads to the edges too. I found a couple bags of seed beads in my stash.



    I already have some ideas in mind for February and will do something that happened this month too.
      I feel I am caught up now with this project. (smiles)  Today I will write down the materials and what I did for these pages, will do that for each month and then I think I will type up a page and add to a pocket at end of book.
   I am not sure if I need to add cotton batting between the pages or not. The blue wool is twice as thick as the plaid wool pages which will work out perfect alternating them. I will decide when I start sewing them together.  
     I have lots of the plaid wool left so I am thinking of cutting pieces to lay in between the month pages-to protect them from rubbing on each other-like my handmade papers or the puffy paint.


    This past week we changed our diets to eating our main meal at 2 pm I am really loving this allot. It works well since we are retired now. I also find myself snacking in the evenings Less now-which am happy but surprised about.  Eating fresh salads every day now too  Last week when I went food shopping I found really nice fresh veggies and fruits-they do not always have them as I only buy USA or Canada fresh produce.

   Yesterday I made a big pot of potato soup with leeks, ham, and mushrooms-sooo delicious. We will have that again today as I forgot to take out the baby back ribs last night to thaw.





The ducks come right up to me when I put out the corn-so I grabbed the camera-they are really fun




  For my drink I am sharing a bottle of wine I picked up at Aldi store. It is a dry red, I will finish it up tonight.
   Another hexi rosette almost finished.





Happy T Day everyone.
  Thank you so much for visiting

18 comments:

  1. Your fabric page is wonderful. I love using coffee die, too, and always have a jar in the fridge. The soup sounds wonderful, yummy! Happy T Day, enjoy your wine, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoy the process of you working on your book. And fun to see my name in print. Made my day. I usually cook holiday meals to eat at 2 PM. I like the schedule because it give me the rest to the day to do my own thing. The wine in your stemware looks so elegant and coordinates beautifully with the pinks of the hexi square. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy early T day Kathy. I am loving the book making photos. Using that lace makes such pretty snow. I think your book is coming along perfectly. I also think they did use sticky foam to mount those stamps-from what I can see in your photo at least. I found that over time all glues dry out or they were stored all squished up. But you should be able to fix that. Your soup is looking delicious. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are too hard on your stamping. I thought the one dyed ribbon you rejected looked fine, even though a bit of it ran. I believe it looks more handmade this way. But you are the ruler of the fabric journal, so I say whatever makes you happy, makes me happy.

    Looks like whoever mounted these, put the stickers on wrong. But the stamps look like the sandwich I was talking about last week. I have never had this happen and I bought several Stampin' Up sets. Like you, I prefer wood mounted stamps. They just seem to work better for me. I would NEVER disassemble mine.

    I was going to make potato soup today, too, but found I only had three potatoes. I like to make a big pot and eat all week long or freeze part of it. Yours looks great. I don't add ham, but I add dill and tons of onions. I would gladly eat yours, though.

    I can tell you live in MO. KS is not allowed to sell any alcohol, except in state licensed liquor stores. It was something I wasn't used to when I moved here from MO. Your wine looks good. Thanks for sharing it and your fabulous fabric book with us for T this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your book is really coming along!!! It's been forever since I have dyed anything with coffee hut used to do it all of the time when I made and sold primitive dolls. It grundges things up nicely. :)
    Happy T Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh - you are the most creative and busy woman out there!
    Great outcome with the fabric journal so far - my gosh - so much work .....


    Happy T-Day ahead!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow your fabric page is fabulous, all your work has come good. I thought the stamped words you discarded looked fine but its how it appears to you that matters most. I am looking forward to seeing more of these beautiful pieces in the coming weeks.
    Your soup looked delicious, good to have on cold day winter days.
    Happy T day wishes Kathy
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the way your pages are turning out. The stamped lettering looks great and is the perfect addition.
    Your potatoe soup looks and sounds so yummy!
    Happy tea day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed reading all the meaningful bits creating the story on your fabric page. Definitely a work of love and enjoyment of your surroundings. Love the idea of having the main meal early but not likely to happen in my home at his time. Your soup sounds wonderful to me and it certainly is the season for it. Wishing you a happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are busy! Lovely fabric work. And your potato soup looks delicious! It is definitely soup weather here! Sub freezing temps and snow on the way! About your stamps, I have been taking my rubber off my wood so they don't take up so much space and so I can use them in my Misti! I have a difficult time getting them off the wood, so am surprised yours are coming off. I have never had any come off unless I was trying to get them off! Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your fabric page came out wonderfully!! i never tried puffy paint, but i might do that in the future. good for snowy texture!
    about spreading ink... i prefer the stamp pads of "my favorite things" or "versafine", and it is important to iron them immediately, so they are permanent and have no choice to run.
    happy t-day!! johanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done you. Your facric journal is fab!
    Yumm! Potato and leek soup is great on cold winter nights. We always have our main meal in the day as most of southern continental Europe does. We actually eat at 3pm as we don't get up that early. We then have a very light supper at about 9 pm which could be soup or a salad or whatever is leftover in the fridge.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite part was the way you put white paint over the thinking of spring piece. It strikes me; I am truly thinking of spring but feeling the cold around me.

    Your crystal reminds me of my pattern :) Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks like all of your experimenting and revising have paid off in your fabric journal! looks amazing and love all the textures and things you found in your stash...happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your journal is inspirational, Kathy. I’d so love to create something like this, not sure how I’d do with the hand sewing though. Plus, it’s surely me being foggy-brained, but I just haven’t grasped the way your pages are being put together. I’ll re-read that. How big is it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to be so late, Kathy, ... busy week. Your fabric journal is coming along beautifully. The white puff paint for snow is great. I love all the little texture pieces you add to represent different things - like the lace for snow on the ground. Documenting how you created each page is a good idea to. That's one thing I use my blog for. By writing tutorials for others, I can also refer back to them myself.

    The soup looks and sounds delicious!

    Do you think there's anything about art and crafting that Elizabeth doens't know? lol. She has given me terrific tips as well.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to be so late, Kathy, ... busy week. Your fabric journal is coming along beautifully. The white puff paint for snow is great. I love all the little texture pieces you add to represent different things - like the lace for snow on the ground. Documenting how you created each page is a good idea to. That's one thing I use my blog for. By writing tutorials for others, I can also refer back to them myself.

    The soup looks and sounds delicious!

    Do you think there's anything about art and crafting that Elizabeth doens't know? lol. She has given me terrific tips as well.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kathy, I have revisithis almost everyday, still trying to get the idea about how pages are put together. I hope your next post takes us further in journal making! It has grabbed me. I have ideas for what to put on pages, but no idea about pages assembly that I can handle.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit